PDA

View Full Version : New Street - Trying to get connected to VM

dslam
11-08-2008, 02:33
Hi All,

I'm a newbie on this forum so firstly "hi to all" and keep up the good work guys!

I live in an ex Telewest area which seems to have been cabled for about 10-15 years now. Since then loads of new streets have emerged and loads of areas have been re-developed over the years. Im currently in a newish street.

My frustration at the moment is that we're ~5Km from BT exchange which means you guessed it... near 'dialup' speeds over ADSL. Its very slow and not much anyone can do about it unless BT roll out VDSL... Cant see it happening!

I had VM round to check if my street could be cabled and the guy (contractor) was so disinterested even though I had gone out and found where the ducting goes he couldnt even be bothered looking at my google earth maps etc....

He reported back to VM that its a no-go and reported I am 800m away from the green box which is "too far" and a modem wouldnt work that far away from a green box... is this true?

Why are VM so disinterested in connecting new streets? I would have thought cabling them as they are built would be EASY and CHEAP since theres no pavements to upheave but NO they are NOT interested,

Ive argued until im blue in the face that I would fund any install work but they just want the easy life and ignore new customers.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can get connected? I estimate I am approx 200 metres from the nearest house with cable... 300m from the box.

Can a real installer let me know the distance figures please?

Any other suggestions? I have offered to pay for "construction" but they dont seem at all interested...

Thanks

WHISTLED
11-08-2008, 09:29
Why are VM so disinterested in connecting new streets? I would have thought cabling them as they are built would be EASY and CHEAP Its neither easy nor cheap to lay new cable, especially if would need new fibre.

Construction of that length would be in the thousands (10's) Still want to pay?

dslam
12-08-2008, 13:24
Its neither easy nor cheap to lay new cable, especially if would need new fibre.

Construction of that length would be in the thousands (10's) Still want to pay?

I was meaning when new streets are being built the pavements are not yet tarmac'd and it would be the best time to lay the cables...?

I find it extremely hard to accept the VM argument of "oh it costs thousands" well, if they refused to dig anywhere they would have ZERO customers.

I am SURE loads of people want their streets cabled, yes I accept this costs money to do, but these houses will be here for decades and that could mean decades of revenue coming in from these streets.

So its chicken and egg situation for VM adding new streets to their network.

I offered to pay for my install but they wouldnt even entertain it.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

Anyone who is awarded community service in UK should be given a shovel and gloves and told to go help companies dig the streets so "Fibre To The Home" can be a reality.

Lets face it, in our lifetime Fibre is NOT going to happen with BT...

MovedGoalPosts
12-08-2008, 13:28
Virgin Media simply are not extending their current network. They have such debt issues from the original build, and difficulties in keeping that up to date, that they seem to have washed their hands of the idea of extending it. It does seem rather silly, especially when the ducts and the like should have been installed during build on new developments, but that is the way it is.

It seems like Virgin are hoping they can pick up customers via the ADSL based systems. Why Virgin Media beleive they can pick up loads of customers for ADSL when there are a multitude of competitors in that market, I'm not sure.

WHISTLED
12-08-2008, 13:29
I find it extremely hard to accept the VM argument of "oh it costs thousands" well, if they refused to dig anywhere they would have ZERO customers. Why do you find it hard to accept the decision? VM are still paying off the cost of the original network build which put each and every one of the original regional companies hundreds of millions of pounds in debt. We do some small new build but usually that involves shared costs and a request from the devleloper..

I am SURE loads of people want their streets cabled, yes I accept this costs money to do, but these houses will be here for decades and that could mean decades of revenue coming in from these streets. You have a rather simple view of these things, you would have to assume maximum take up which doesnt happen in the real world - It can take a decade of service to a number of customers to pay for the build.

So its chicken and egg situation for VM adding new streets to their network. Not really - IPTV is going to be a big part of VM's future plans, that requires no new build but brings in additional revenue. Its a no brainer

dslam
12-08-2008, 13:51
Not really - IPTV is going to be a big part of VM's future plans, that requires no new build but brings in additional revenue. Its a no brainer

Im not aware of what VM is planning on doing in the future, could you explain about IPTV and how it fits in with their network? Presumably still limited to cabled areas only?

Some other questions:

I am informed by some friends that they are now on 50Meg broadband, one person assures me this is via fibre (?), so VM *must* be laying new cables as I thought the existing infrastructure was Coaxial....

If I was miles away from a VM area I wouldnt be on here asking about how to get connected... but when the green box is only round the corner it seems unreal that they wont connect any new properties. It IS within reach.

BT installed ducting on this estate without complaining of the "costs too much" catchphrase, so are you saying the developers paid BT? I think not!

They can run BT/Electricity/Gas [almost Gas] into every UK home so why not Cable? It just goes to show how disjointed all our utility companies are.

And why cant VM be allowed to use BT's ducting into my estate? Its a free-for-all with local loop unbundling so why not allow similar use of shared ducting with other telco's ? It works both ways...

I just think all the options are available within reach and at minimal cost but BT and VM cant be bothered to make a better experience for the customer.

kinglouie
12-08-2008, 14:02
Typical UK! New street, no cable; no doubt they put copper in. You are quite right, it would be much cheaper to put cable in, or at least a conduit for blowing the cable into, before the roads are laid. UK companies however will always take the cheapest option; thats just Britain, cheap and nasty.

:td:

WHISTLED
12-08-2008, 14:16
Im not aware of what VM is planning on doing in the future, could you explain about IPTV and how it fits in with their network? Presumably still limited to cabled areas only? As Rob said ADSL is also a VM product - They plan on providing off net customers with TV services through ADSL broadband. Thats a potentially high value low cost product.

I am informed by some friends that they are now on 50Meg broadband, one person assures me this is via fibre (?), so VM *must* be laying new cables as I thought the existing infrastructure was Coaxial.... VM is and always has been fibre to the cab and coax to the home - That is more than capable of providing 50meg through their existing network the main problem they have is oversubscription in some areas.

If I was miles away from a VM area I wouldnt be on here asking about how to get connected... but when the green box is only round the corner it seems unreal that they wont connect any new properties. It IS within reach I live in new build, cable is on the other side of the road but not mine - Im staff with significant contacts and it was too expensive for me to have it. Im 5m from cable and 15m from cab.

BT installed ducting on this estate without complaining of the "costs too much" catchphrase, so are you saying the developers paid BT? I think not! BT have to provide service to new props - They dont have a choice, and developers as far as I know do foot some of the bill. Need to remember also that BT will almost certainly get a bigger chunk of the service on the street so its more economical.

They can run BT/Electricity/Gas [almost Gas] into every UK home so why not Cable? It just goes to show how disjointed all our utility companies are. As above plus the company that owns the pipes, cables etc are often stand alone from your actual service provider so have guaranteed revenues once they make the initial outlay.

And why cant VM be allowed to use BT's ducting into my estate? Its a free-for-all with local loop unbundling so why not allow similar use of shared ducting with other telco's ? It works both ways... I assume because its likely that works by one company could impact the others service.

dslam
12-08-2008, 14:33
I know you have suggested VirginMedia ADSL above....

But with regards to VirginMedia ADSL flavour, they are the worst ISP in Britain according to samknows dot com.

Samknows are doing an ongoing unbiased trial on all the major ISP's in the UK where volunteers install a linux based router which has been modded to take stats on DNS resolution times, html download times, hourly speedtests, throttling detection etc, take a look for yourself.

On the other note VirginMedia supplied via Coaxial Cable is one of the Best ISP's (we are talking pure performance-wise here)

The Same Company, Virgin Media holds Best and Worst ISP simultaneously!!!

If it comes down to ADSL VirginMedia are rock bottom on my list... Cable VM? When can I have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHISTLED
12-08-2008, 14:51
I didnt suggest it - I dont have it nor would I.

I was just saying thats also part of their portfolio and doesnt require new build.

Jonnymeg
12-08-2008, 17:21
The only way you are going to get VM cable BB is to move to a cabled area.

spiderplant
12-08-2008, 19:07
VM's predecessors ran up debts of over £4000 per customer laying cable. With hindsight, that was utter madness. But that was in the 1990s when money was easy to come by. Nobody would fund that kind of expenditure these days.

WHISTLED
12-08-2008, 19:51
[QUOTE]The only way you are going to get VM cable BB is to move to a cabled area./QUOTE] Or become MD/CEO I seem to recall one of them having some build to supply their home