PDA

View Full Version : Moved house, still having problems

timn64
10-08-2008, 19:32
I moved house a month ago now and moved my services with me. To their credit VM arranged a date just after teh house move even at short notice and turned up on time, well early actually but he did ring to confirm I was in first.

I'm afraid to say it's all been downhill from there. Once he got started I could see how he had managed to get his morning calls done so quickly as he was buzzing around like a 5 year old who'd just washed down a pack of blue smarties with a can of coke!!!

Anyway, all installed, wiring's messy but I can sort that out as I sort the house out, one annoying note though is that the carpet wasn't covered before drilling leaving me with a nice grey stain on the carpet which I didn't notice until he had left :(

Moving on, whilst activating the TV he told me there was a delay on the broadband and that he would ring it through when he got to the next job and 'to give it half an hour', this phrase seems to be part of VM training form what I have experienced. To cut a long story short 2 and a half days later and god know how many phone calls later the BB finally gets activated.

Woohoo I though, finally a full compliment of services, better check my email as it had been off for almost a week by then. Open outlook and get an error, invalid username :confused: try webmail, same story. Never mind I'll give them a call, yet again told to give it half an hour and suprise suprise, nothing. Eventually discover that I have been given a new account number, why? I only moved 5 miles down the road. My email address is still tied to the other account, I was told a letter would be sent with my new username and I could then call to get my old address transferred to the new account. Sure enough the letter arrives and it tells me I can do it via selfcare so off I go to the VM site and log in, it asks me to create a new username but whatever I try it says sorry cannot create mailbox please try later, I should be grateful it doesn't say 'give it half an hour'. So I try later and still the same, I call to be rudely told that I will need to try later, I try later, Nothing.

Finally I call back wednesday of last week and after I get told that email is just something free that comes with the BB I get a bit shirty and am told that it is all being sorted but can take up to 7 days!! why? how hard can it be to close one account and transfer the name to another. Anyway same day I fire off an email to complaints department outlining how unhappy I am with the whole situation, by this time I have made upwards of 25 phone calls and on virtually every one was told to give it half an hour in some way, shape or form!

So the 7 days have well and truly past, nothing. No email from complaints, no email still, no response to further email to complaints, no email from tech support, absolutley nothing.

The point of my post? I have no idea, maybe just a rant to get it out of my system, maybe hoping that someone form VM might actually read this and decide to look into it or more probably on the hope that someone will give me some advice as to where to head next in an attempt to finally get my email address back. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just mine, but my daughter has an email address, my wife and even my father in law had an address on my account.

Thanks for reading and if anyone has any advice or comments then that woiuld be great.

Tim

homealone
10-08-2008, 20:39
Hi

I wish I could help, but the main point of my reply is to try & keep your thread 'alive', in the hope that someone who does know any more, can respond.

Anecdotally there does seem to have been problems with setting up some email accounts since the amalgamation of the the various software systems used by Telewest & NTL, before they were branded Virgin Media. Ex NTL customers didn't have the selfcare', option, for example.

I hope it doesn't take too long for you to get it sorted ...

whydoIneedatech
10-08-2008, 20:54
This what is called a Failed Move and Transfer.

Each Address gets its own unique username for that property, which when you move is not taken with you, as at the new property you are given a new unique username and the old username is put into a Disabled state.

When you move house and Customer Services are aware that you are taking you services to the new property, they are supposed to ask if you need to transfer your present username to your property, which as the case above does not always happen.

Then we get the customer calling in as they cannot access their emails, which is then classed as a Failed Move and Transfer, which can either be dealt with almost immediately by us if the old account is in DI or as in the case above which will be almost certainly be still in an Enabled state, up to 5/7 working days.

What has probably happened is that your previous account is still classed as Enabled which means it does take up to 5/7 days to transfer your old account details across to your new account.

They are not reactivating your account they are in essence grafting your old details onto your new account.

In all cases the caller should have the process explained and an apology given.

I am sorry that you will have to wait as many other customers often have to, but at least you will get your email address back.

timn64
10-08-2008, 21:10
I appreciate your answers, thanks. At least now I know why, it has been 11 days since I called though and it still doesn't seem to be working. I don't know if I can deal with another phone call though :(

Is there a number I can call to get support from UK based operators?

homealone
10-08-2008, 22:18
I appreciate your answers, thanks. At least now I know why, it has been 11 days since I called though and it still doesn't seem to be working. I don't know if I can deal with another phone call though :(

Is there a number I can call to get support from UK based operators?

I don't know about 'phone access, but have you tried the newsgroups VM maintain for help?

virginmedia.support.e-mail

for example?

timn64
18-08-2008, 16:43
Finally gave up last week and rang cs, told them to collect everything and whistle for their money. A nice chap called steve rang me back and sorted teh problem over the phone in about 5 minutes! Why couldn't one of the other people I spoke to have done this, if they had I would be a VM customer for life I imagine but as it is I am taking the compensation they offered and as soon as my 12 months is done I am off.

I have never come across a company who treats their customers with such disregard before!