PDA

View Full Version : New customer with an installation problem.

crossfancy
08-08-2008, 20:50
Hello, I'm (hopefully) going to be a new VM customer soon and am hoping that someone on the forum can help me as I'm new to cable. I've signed up for the fibre optic XL broadband and phone package.

The installation was due to happen this morning but no one turned up and when I called customer services it appears that the installation was cancelled following a survey yesterday which indicated I was not in a servicable area.

I don't really understand this as the VM website knows my postcode and house number and tells me I've got cable. I live in a 20 year old house in Bracknell towards the end of a cul-de-sac. My understanding is that the road was built to have cable in all the properties and all the houses have a grey fronted panel cut into the brickwork on the front of the houses. I removed my panel cover and can see a black cable coming up from the ground between the wall cavity. The cable has an end that looks like the one that goes into the set-top box from the satelite dish. Is this not the cable?

Do TV, Broadband and phone get sent down one cable or are there three?

If I have one of the cables could Virgin Media not somehow use this to pull through the other cables from the man hole cover halfway down the road?

I really want to have the 20mb broadband product but don't know if it's ever possible or whether I just need to fight with VM to get them to sort something.

Is anyone able to offer me some guidance on this please and please accept my apologies if any of these questions are particularly stupid!

Kymmy
08-08-2008, 20:55
Could be an old analogue cable... Also the database that VM use does have a few holes in it, try searching for SPOTTERS on the forum as you might need to ask for a spotter to come and survey the situation.

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2008, 21:09
Virgin Media really need to get a grip on this. It their website, or worse their sales department accept the customer and give an install date, they really ought to be notifying the customer if for some reason installation is then deemed impossible. This is the second thread in a couple of days covering similar non installation issues of cancellation.

If they are saying a survey was carried out then chances are, for some technical reason it can't be installed at the moment. Maybe there isn't enough local capacity in the area :confused:

crossfancy
08-08-2008, 21:21
Thanks both, I must admit I was somewhat annoyed to be left sitting at home for 5 hours waiting for an installer who was never going to come, particulary as I used a day's holiday for it!

When I was speaking with customer services they did not seem to know whether the problem was a small fixable one or a show stopper as they could not get through to the installation team to question it on my behalf.

Not the best customer service I've ever experienced!

I've found out about Spotters on the forum and have logged an equiry on the website, so thank you for your advice.

poves
08-08-2008, 22:32
Wat a surprise , well that makes two of us , the same thing happened to me the other day , only the bull 5h17 factor was ten times as bad as yours , read my thread if u wana laugh.
It's the one rob mentioned being the other incident.
And may I just point out that you seem to have had a good response to your quiery , all I got was a load of grief - do I care ermmmmm . NO :D