PDA

View Full Version : Need to Contact BT to Cancel?

ichiban
06-08-2008, 22:59
I had my Tv and phone installed today and the engineer ported my number over from BT without problems but wondering if i need to contact BT to let them know i'm now with virgin?

moaningmags
06-08-2008, 23:46
Have you already notified BT you were leaving?
If not, I recommend doing so, incase they tell you you need to give 30 day notice which you have to pay for.

BexTech
07-08-2008, 00:23
If you told Virgin Media you were porting your number over from BT, then VM would have initiated the transfer and that means BT cancel the line, the problem with contacting BT is it can mess up the transfer. (Welcome to higher cost phone calls - however these may be outweighed by the reduction in cost of the package).

BenMcr
07-08-2008, 00:50
Indeed, I second what Bex has said.

NEVER give notice to any provider before it has been confirmed that a number transfer has been accepted. This is true no matter where the number is coming from and going to

ichiban
07-08-2008, 15:59
I've emailed BT about the phoneline and to have my account closed so just have to wait for a reply.

chuzzlemonkey
07-08-2008, 16:11
I've emailed BT about the phoneline and to have my account closed so just have to wait for a reply.

Maybe a good idea just incase but i think you should be fine, if VM have the number then BT will definately disconnect you (in theory) lol.

Obviously they'll still charge you for the remainder of the 30 days and contract if there is still one in place ^_^

sheridan
08-08-2008, 19:34
i had mine instaled last week ,, the engineer said that VM would tell bt ,, so i dont have to .
hope he's correct :confused:

chuzzlemonkey
08-08-2008, 19:48
i had mine instaled last week ,, the engineer said that VM would tell bt ,, so i dont have to .
hope he's correct :confused:

So long as your BT number is now on your VM line then VM will tell them for you. You'll still have to pay your 30 days notice to BT, though :)

ichiban
11-08-2008, 14:15
just got a reply and seems my BT account was closed on the day my line was ported over :)

Wild Oscar
11-08-2008, 15:31
Do you still get a dial tone from your old BT socket though? .. or do they totally disconnect you?

ichiban
11-08-2008, 17:09
Do you still get a dial tone from your old BT socket though? .. or do they totally disconnect you?

funny enough i do still have a dial tone on the BT line but i can't dial in or out.

Wild Oscar
11-08-2008, 18:12
Thats good!! It means if you ever wanted to use BT again, you won't have to worry about re-connection fees and all that jazz .. it should be just the flick of a switch (or electronic equivalent) over at the exchange!

ichiban
11-08-2008, 18:17
Thats good!! It means if you ever wanted to use BT again, you won't have to worry about re-connection fees and all that jazz .. it should be just the flick of a switch (or electronic equivalent) over at the exchange!

good to know :)

wabbit
28-08-2008, 00:30
Just in case someone searches for this thread in the future....DO NOT CANCEL with the operator when you want to transfer. This applies to whichever Operator you wish to go to.

You don't know how many times i have to contact a customer to tell them we can't transfer a number as their line is dead. The response i get is "well i wasn't told this when i spoke to the sales person" or "they it was ok", etc etc.

The line MUST be active. Once the number transfers over, the old Operator should send you a final bill. The Port itself closes the account. The customer should not initiate the cancellation themselves. (As you'll have to reconnect yourself thus entering into a spanking new contract just to transfer!)