PDA

View Full Version : BPI/Virgin letters.....Who's had them

madpro
06-08-2008, 14:41
I would be interested to know how many people on here have had one of these letters and if so do they use peerguardian or some such software. It would be interesting to know if this kind of software worked.

Does anyone on here use peerguardian and if so do you download music and have you had a letter?

Horace
06-08-2008, 14:46
Peer-guardian relies on ip lists to block connections, it's so well know that I wouldn't rely on it to give any kind of protection. It's too easy for the BPI investigators to test their own ip's against the application or just use any random isp or 3G phone connection to get around it.

dev
06-08-2008, 15:04
probably wont work, in the case of torrents your IP will still be listed on the tracker and once the BPI have verified the torrent's contents, they'll just grab the list of IPs off the tracker and contact the owners

xspeedyx
07-08-2008, 10:21
I use PG2 AND TORRENTS AND TOUCH WOOD NEVER BEEN COURT

sorry about the caps

Andrewcrawford23
07-08-2008, 10:36
Well my ip on torrents is lsited as 240.240.240.240 ;) nothing to do with my ip, btw i dnt download music just hide my ip so it does give a hacker anything ot try hack.

Thunderballs
08-08-2008, 04:19
Not the same issue as my problem and letter were to do with email - but it is all in the same area of isp turned policeman, judge and jury. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33637171-disconnection-for-abuse.html

Horace
08-08-2008, 08:24
Well my ip on torrents is lsited as 240.240.240.240 ;) nothing to do with my ip, btw i dnt download music just hide my ip so it does give a hacker anything ot try hack.

Unless you're going through a proxy (which includes I2P/Tor) which is usually really really slow, your real ip is visible to the person you're downloading and uploading from/to irrelevant of what you may 'think'.

Andrewcrawford23
08-08-2008, 11:36
Unless you're going through a proxy (which includes I2P/Tor) which is usually really really slow, your real ip is visible to the person you're downloading and uploading from/to irrelevant of what you may 'think'.

I can assure it is not, only the torrent and tracker both report the ip above or what i choose. i have tested it from various locations to see if it exists the remotely changed the ip and hay presto it changes.

BTW it is not a proxy i am using it a direct connection that goes through a very smart firewall ;) some of the advantages of being really good at networking. :)

Sirius
08-08-2008, 13:18

correct :tu:

dev
08-08-2008, 13:30
I can assure it is not, only the torrent and tracker both report the ip above or what i choose. i have tested it from various locations to see if it exists the remotely changed the ip and hay presto it changes.

BTW it is not a proxy i am using it a direct connection that goes through a very smart firewall ;) some of the advantages of being really good at networking. :)

so how do people connect to you then? ;)

Horace
08-08-2008, 19:56
You do know that an IP is fundamental to the way TCP and UDP work? Each packet has to know where to go else it will end up dropped. It needs an address in the same way a letter needs an address, there's no magic involved and no way around it.

Toto
08-08-2008, 20:15

DC Hub, old IRC hub?

psyfur
08-08-2008, 21:49
@ OP

40G a night on usenet and no letter, but then again the postie round here is not that reliable...

Andrewcrawford23
08-08-2008, 22:02
You do know that an IP is fundamental to the way TCP and UDP work? Each packet has to know where to go else it will end up dropped. It needs an address in the same way a letter needs an address, there's no magic involved and no way around it.

Well you go explain how it works then ;) i can assure it works i have tested it and it works fine, at the end of the day the ip translate to my ip but not on the tracker or the client machine looking at it.

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

DC Hub, old IRC hub?

If you are refering to my connection it aint anything special it virgin :dozey:. If oyu mean teh firewall it combanation of ipcop and irc hub not as one though be bugger to configure ipcop for that ;)

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

so how do people connect to you then? ;)

As expained above because my visible translate to my ip but at osi level 3 the thoery behind is way complex to much for me to explain or understand myself i jsut know how to do it in pratice.

Hugh
08-08-2008, 22:05
Andrew, this is fascinating - didn't know this could be done, as the IP address is the unique ID to allow packets to be delivered.

I will ask my Network team (12 strong) about this on Monday, because if any of our students are doing this, it will probably breech JANET regulations - thanks for the heads-up. And if they are puzzled, I can always pass it to some of the Profs/Lecturers, who teach this stuff, and work with Nortel in designing network equipment.

Thunderballs
08-08-2008, 23:20
Which department/office is dealing with these, appears on the letters ?

zing_deleted
09-08-2008, 00:12
The topic here is BPI letters and who has received them please stick to this topic and not how to hide your ips etc

Pedro1
09-08-2008, 18:13
:):):):):dozey::dozey::):)
OK as interesting as it all is/mmmmmm. // WHO has been getting these so called letters. I aint got 1 yet, and looking for ways not to he he he..

grubbymitts
09-08-2008, 18:35
:):):):):dozey::dozey::):)
OK as interesting as it all is/mmmmmm. // WHO has been getting these so called letters. I aint got 1 yet, and looking for ways not to he he he..

Looking for ways not to? Here's one:

DON'T DOWNLOAD PIRATE MUSIC!

:)

Pedro1
09-08-2008, 18:38
CHEERS grubbymitts lol lol...

So did you get the name grubbymitts by buying original stuff????? lol lol...

grubbymitts
09-08-2008, 23:34
CHEERS grubbymitts lol lol...

So did you get the name grubbymitts by buying original stuff????? lol lol...

Cough....splutter...shhh!

Actually, to tell the truth the name came from a girl called Gwen. We both worked in a pottery factory and she commented that I had grubby mitts because of the clay. I took the name from that.

zing_deleted
10-08-2008, 01:48
Ok so 1 on topic post was made after my request then it went back off topic again this is the second and last time I mention it without a grrrrrr

grubbymitts
10-08-2008, 07:30
/Me gives Zinglebarb a tickle.

Er...back on topic...

No one I know has had one yet and I know many fools...er...users of Bit Torrent on VM. I think the BPI and VM are hoping word of some people getting the letters will make others stop.

Joxer
10-08-2008, 17:41
I haven't recieved one myself but do know someone who has, if that count's for anything - I don't actually know them that well, certainly not how much they download or how.

deed02392
10-08-2008, 17:49
Do you know them well enough to see a copy of the letter? I'd be interested to know as to the content of the letter. Were the letters sent out as a result of torrent activity? I thought it was people using the Gnutella network (limewire and stuff).

Cobbydaler
10-08-2008, 17:53
Do you know them well enough to see a copy of the letter? I'd be interested to know as to the content of the letter. Were the letters sent out as a result of torrent activity? I thought it was people using the Gnutella network (limewire and stuff).

Copies of the letters are linked to from this (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/06/virgin_media_bpi_deal/) El Reg page...

Fatec
10-08-2008, 19:15
I know someone who got one and doesnt even download anything :p:

Sirius
10-08-2008, 20:06
I know someone who got one and doesn't even download anything :p:

I suspect that will be a common happening. That is until VM do something about cloned modems. Anyone that uses an insecure system like Bittorrent to download or upload unauthorised music and movies is asking for trouble if you ask me. There are far more secure means to do that out there.

grimwau
10-08-2008, 20:08
I use PG2 AND TORRENTS AND TOUCH WOOD NEVER BEEN COURT

sorry about the caps

And the spelling, or is that a tongue in cheek pun?

deed02392
10-08-2008, 20:26
A bit like: IMMA DOWNLODE SUM MPFREEZ ND IM NEVA GET CORT HAHAHA OLOLUL!121111

Neongirl
16-08-2008, 21:41
I thought the trial was only 10 weeks? If it has ended noone will be getting letters now?

Pedro1
30-08-2008, 13:30
I suspect that will be a common happening. That is until VM do something about cloned modems. Anyone that uses an insecure system like Bittorrent to download or upload unauthorised music and movies is asking for trouble if you ask me. There are far more secure means to do that out there.

What do you recommend for downloading stuff other than using Bittorrent or limewire and such like?;)

Kymmy
30-08-2008, 13:37
newsgroups, but for how long will they be safe

The safety of newsgroups are a topic of discusion HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33637754-are-newsgroups-safe.html?highlight=newsgroups)

Sirius
30-08-2008, 16:17
What do you recommend for downloading stuff other than using Bittorrent or limewire and such like?;)

newsgroups, but for how long will they be safe

The safety of newsgroups are a topic of discusion HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33637754-are-newsgroups-safe.html?highlight=newsgroups)

Correct :)

xspeedyx
30-08-2008, 16:32

Safest way is not to download

Rone
30-08-2008, 19:28
Safest way is not to download

Would'nt that be ideal, however i would think if everyone stopped downloading there would be a lot less use for the fastest tiers ie a lot less money being spent with your favourite isp= unhappy, less profiable isp.
Or would that be illogical?

Hugh
30-08-2008, 19:30
Must remember that example, next time I try to beat a speeding ticket.....;)

(changing "tiers" for "expensive luxury cars", obviously)

sanderno
16-06-2009, 13:31
I've had the same letter, what a ballache. How they work is they can track torrents and take registers of the IP addresses connected to a torrent or other fileshare (gnutella etc.). They then send their list of IP addresses to the ISP's, who then are forced by law to send you a letter. If you carry on, they can prosecute, stop your internet etc. Virgin are the worst for it in my experience, but most of the big isp's do it now.

I tried all sorts of stuff, i'm under contract to my ISP, but the proxy sites that are free basically dont support filesharing or anything else thats fun. Eventually i found a program which sorts it out. It runs in the background and hides your isp through their servers. Its not free, but i don't think any real proxy service is. Works great, just under 20 quid.

http://www.hide-my-ip-address.com

deed02392
16-06-2009, 13:46
20 quid a month I bet, at which point you are FAR better off renting a dedicated server from kimsufi.co.uk or similar, all you need is some tech know how (or PM me for assistance) and you can have your torrents running from a French IP, with no ties to your ID whatsoever. Not 20 quid a month for some simple IP obfuscation service using VPN.

Ignitionnet
16-06-2009, 14:02
I've had the same letter, what a ballache. How they work is they can track torrents and take registers of the IP addresses connected to a torrent or other fileshare (gnutella etc.). They then send their list of IP addresses to the ISP's, who then are forced by law to send you a letter. If you carry on, they can prosecute, stop your internet etc. Virgin are the worst for it in my experience, but most of the big isp's do it now.

I tried all sorts of stuff, i'm under contract to my ISP, but the proxy sites that are free basically dont support filesharing or anything else thats fun. Eventually i found a program which sorts it out. It runs in the background and hides your isp through their servers. Its not free, but i don't think any real proxy service is. Works great, just under 20 quid.

Errr.

Hide My IP Address is a specially-modified browser, based on Firefox. It automatically routes all of your Internet traffic through at least TWO ultra-secure, ultra-fast anonymous servers -- using the POWERFUL and well-known Tor network for total privacy.

Or you could just... I dunno... use Tor and its' Firefox plugin which are free?

http://www.torproject.org/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2275

Incidentally using P2P via Tor is considered pretty bad form it isn't made with P2P in mind and it really ruins the performance for others.

Use a dedicated VPN service with P2P in mind like Relakks (https://www.relakks.com/?cid=gb) or when available IPREDator (http://ipredator.se/beta/closed/) instead.

dev
16-06-2009, 14:36
20 quid a month I bet, at which point you are FAR better off renting a dedicated server from kimsufi.co.uk or similar, all you need is some tech know how (or PM me for assistance) and you can have your torrents running from a French IP, with no ties to your ID whatsoever. Not 20 quid a month for some simple IP obfuscation service using VPN.

And you pay for that dedicated server how? :p:

deed02392
16-06-2009, 14:57
And you pay for that dedicated server how? :p:

It pays for itself thanks to the websites I can host on it, at 22.99 a month it's not hard. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/../images/smilies/wink.gif;)

nutellajunkie
18-06-2009, 11:06

What an advertisement lol..

I hopefully have been careful and wont ever get these letters.. Jings, I know im not perfect and im lucky to live in a place where no one really abuses the bandwidth - touch wood :) is this called under-subscription ;)

soup dragon
18-06-2009, 12:34
This thread started a year ago!!

Kymmy
18-06-2009, 12:36
Yep, it was restarted by a spammer..but the continuation is still on-topic