PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Performance Issue

mkyle1
06-08-2008, 00:14
Hi,

my broadband seems to be running very slowly recently. I had an issue 2 weeks ago where I lost service completly and had to phone the help desk. Eventually I was advised the freq on the config tab was incorrect. This was corrected and set to 331000000. I found this was the issue again yesterday and corrected it however it is still running very slow see speed test results below:

Modem - Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable Modem
Speedcheck.
Download 1216 kbps
Upload 489 kbps

I am paying for the Large package (10mb £25 a month) I checked on the Virgin site and the upgrade has been made in my area (Dumbarton - Comes under Uddingston region). Please can someone advise

Thanks, Martin

Chris
06-08-2008, 01:28
:welcome: to the site. If I'm not very much mistaken, your cable modem is absolutely ancient. How long have you had it?

jtaylor06
06-08-2008, 01:52
This was my old modem.

We upgraded to all XLs for £60 a month.
They upgraded the broadband speed, but an engineer had to come and install the TV and do something with the phone line.
They then said that the Motorola Box doesnt support the speed and to ring them up. Rung up and then in a few days (very quick I think) a new box came.
Its a black Virgin Media box very very small, and came with a plastic spanner.
Had to activate it over the phone (didn't work at first) and then the send and recieve light turned on and broadband now 20mbps.

Theres a little story for you lol.

sstainer
06-08-2008, 03:49
i'd call faults report it, as it is old and a replacement is long overdue

mkyle1
06-08-2008, 10:48
Hi,

thanks for the replies. I suspected it may be the modem as it is 6 years old (had it since I moved into my house). Will phone them today and ask for a replacement

Thanks, Martin

eth01
06-08-2008, 10:51
Hi,

thanks for the replies. I suspected it may be the modem as it is 6 years old (had it since I moved into my house). Will phone them today and ask for a replacement

Thanks, Martin

I second this. :welcome: btw

Joxer
06-08-2008, 12:10
SB4200 should handle the speed ok, from memory and also according to Motorola - http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb4200/downloads/SB4200_Data_Sheet.pdf has the maximum d/l rate at 38Mbps - that said it only appears to be DOCSIS 1.1, however I'm sure I've seen them doing 20Mb.

Chris
06-08-2008, 20:37
SB4200 should handle the speed ok, from memory and also according to Motorola - http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/sb4200/downloads/SB4200_Data_Sheet.pdf has the maximum d/l rate at 38Mbps - that said it only appears to be DOCSIS 1.1, however I'm sure I've seen them doing 20Mb.

Not flamin' likely. When they rolled out 20meg there was a lot of chatter on here about the fact that NTL (as was) was reluctant to upgrade modems, even though only the newer NTL:250s were able to cope with it.

There really oughtn't to be any of the old grandpa modems (Motorola Surfboards, Terayon Terajets and arguably any NTL or VM branded unit with a number less than 200) left in posession of any subs who are taking a service faster than their modem is rated for.

whydoIneedatech
06-08-2008, 20:53
The Motorola SB4200 is actually 20mb capable, we do get customers ringing in getting full speeds without a problem.

If the is an obvious problem then they are replaced.

Zhadnost
06-08-2008, 21:32
There really oughtn't to be any of the old grandpa modems (Motorola Surfboards, Terayon Terajets and arguably any NTL or VM branded unit with a number less than 200) left in posession of any subs who are taking a service faster than their modem is rated for.

My NTL:120 is running fine on 20MBit (and yes, I doo get the full speed through it).

Chris
06-08-2008, 21:43
This is all very odd, there was a huge bru-ha-ha on here when 20meg was rolled out because so many of the modems couldn't handle it. Has there been some sort of software fix since then? At the time, NTL were only reluctantly swapping out modems, and then in many cases they were trying to treat it as a non-fault job and charge for the call-out.

whydoIneedatech
06-08-2008, 22:18
My NTL:120 is running fine on 20MBit (and yes, I doo get the full speed through it).

I would advise you to call Tech Support to get your modem swapped for an Ambit 256 as that NTL120 is an antique and sooner rather than later it is going to die with 20mb running through it.
----------------------

ntl:home Series 100, 120, 200
The ntl:home series was manufactured to ntl:'s specification by a leading Far Eastern electronics manufacturer, Ambit. All models are both Ethernet and USB.
All do support 10Mbps Tier of Service, provided that they are used with an "003" or greater version of firmware.

---------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network, hence the is no www. before the address.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

This is all very odd, there was a huge bru-ha-ha on here when 20meg was rolled out because so many of the modems couldn't handle it. Has there been some sort of software fix since then? At the time, NTL were only reluctantly swapping out modems, and then in many cases they were trying to treat it as a non-fault job and charge for the call-out.

The Motorola SB4200, 5100 and 5101e are all 20mb capable it is only the SB3100 and 4100 that are not.

Thunderballs
08-08-2008, 04:23
I knoiw i had to specifically ask for my SB to be replaced when I had my latest installation of V+. To my mind a customer thats stuck wit them for long enough for a modem to become fairly outdated should have the latest model automatically.

Pontiac
08-08-2008, 09:58
I must say that I have exactly the same modem as the op (SB4200) and I've never had any problems with it and it can easily sustain a full 20mbps.

deed02392
09-08-2008, 22:48

Regarding your sig...

The irony in the lack of apostrophe is hilarious. :)

Zhadnost
11-08-2008, 10:00
I would advise you to call Tech Support to get your modem swapped for an Ambit 256 as that NTL120 is an antique and sooner rather than later it is going to die with 20mb running through it.

The modem used to fall over a lot when on the 10MBit service (before 20MBit was rolled out here).

I assumed it was a problem with an overflow in the modems IP stack because it stopped happening when I started traffic shaping the connection.

I may call up for a replacement, Think I'll wait to see when 50MBit will be rolled out here.

mkyle1
12-08-2008, 17:40
Hi,

just to let you know the new modem solved the issues. (and saved space - nice little Ambit modem). Thanks again for your help

Thanks, Martin

deed02392
12-08-2008, 21:47
Good to hear, grats :)