PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media resetting modem when using utorrent

lanmonkey
04-08-2008, 23:00
hi all, first time here blardy blardy blah.....

am I the only one to notice that virgin media are resetting the modems of torrent downloaders?

what do I mean? well, I mean when I am downloading torrents every 30 seconds your modem will do a full reboot, lights go out, then come back on again, internet connection dies and springs back to life and youve lost all the connections to peers you were downloading from.

this takes the ****, its so bad that even if I'm not downloading anything in utorrent it still does it. all I have to do is have the program open and the modem starts its reboot cycles.

BUT as soon as I close utorrent it stops.

YES I am using a non-standard port , YES I am using encryption..

and they call this ***** service the "mother of all broadband"...

AbyssUnderground
04-08-2008, 23:46
Sounds like you have a modem fault since you're the only one to report this. I suggest you check your signal levels.

http://192.168.100.1 username: root password: root

Signal level should be:

Downstream: +/-8dBmV but as close to 0 as possible
Upstream: no higher than 55dBmV
SNR: above 28dB or higher (higher the better)

If your signal levels are out of those ranges you have a problem. Otherwise it could just be the modem to fault (I had mine replaced today because of a fault with disconnections).

homealone
04-08-2008, 23:55
Just a suggestion, but in my opinion people wanting help should just post what the problem is & wait for feedback before including the **** type remarks, it makes it very difficult to decide if it is someone with a genuine problem, rather than just another poster with an agenda. :shrug:

Druchii
05-08-2008, 06:51
Which model of modem do you have? Some older ones do not like having so many connections opened so fast and do reboot when this happens.

For example: NTL Home 120, Home 100. Both do this.

psyfur
05-08-2008, 08:03
Just a suggestion, but in my opinion people wanting help should just post what the problem is & wait for feedback before including the **** type remarks, it makes it very difficult to decide if it is someone with a genuine problem, rather than just another poster with an agenda. :shrug:

Did you catch that latest x-files film mate?

*Paranoid* :monkey:

lanmonkey
05-08-2008, 10:36
Sounds like you have a modem fault since you're the only one to report this. I suggest you check your signal levels.

http://192.168.100.1 username: root password: root

Signal level should be:

Downstream: +/-8dBmV but as close to 0 as possible
Upstream: no higher than 55dBmV
SNR: above 28dB or higher (higher the better)

If your signal levels are out of those ranges you have a problem. Otherwise it could just be the modem to fault (I had mine replaced today because of a fault with disconnections).

I got this:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.27 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 36.87 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

Which model of modem do you have? Some older ones do not like having so many connections opened so fast and do reboot when this happens.

For example: NTL Home 120, Home 100. Both do this.

It could be that I have one of the older gold modems BUT this only seems to happen in the evening when virgin are living out thier traffic shaping wet dreams.

Durin the day the modem is fine.

Sirius
05-08-2008, 10:47
It could be that I have one of the older gold modems BUT this only seems to happen in the evening when virgin are living out thier traffic shaping wet dreams.

The more you post like that, The more staff you will upset and then where will you be ?

Stuart
05-08-2008, 10:48
I got this:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.27 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 36.87 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.00 dBmv

If Virgin are trying to block torrents, they don't need to go to the effort of rebooting the modem. They could (although I have seen no evidence they do this) simply lower the priority of Bit Torrent traffic on the network. Or they could use the same TCP Reset method that Comcast were using for a while ( http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/ ). This method simply waited a while, then sent a command that caused the client OS to drop the connection to the bit torrent system. The whole thing resulted in Bittorrent (and other P2P apps) being effectively unusable on Comcast, while no non-P2P app was affected.

I suspect there is an actual fault with your cable connection, the modem (especially if it is rather elderly) or the UBR. I'd report it to VM.

lanmonkey
05-08-2008, 16:39
The more you post like that, The more staff you will upset and then where will you be ?

WTF u talking about? you saing this forum is run by virgin?

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

If Virgin are trying to block torrents, they don't need to go to the effort of rebooting the modem. They could (although I have seen no evidence they do this) simply lower the priority of Bit Torrent traffic on the network. Or they could use the same TCP Reset method that Comcast were using for a while ( http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/ ). This method simply waited a while, then sent a command that caused the client OS to drop the connection to the bit torrent system. The whole thing resulted in Bittorrent (and other P2P apps) being effectively unusable on Comcast, while no non-P2P app was affected.

I suspect their is an actual fault with your cable connection, the modem (especially if it is rather elderly) or the UBR. I'd report it to VM.

Well, theres no fault in the day, as soon as its traffic managment time it reboots every 30 seconds.

MovedGoalPosts
05-08-2008, 16:46

Watch the language please ;)

The forum is independent of Virgin Media, but many staff members do post here and might well have been prepared to offer assistance.

It's worth checking with VM that your modem hasn't developed a fault, especially if it's of some age. If you are connected via a router, disconnect that before you call tech support.

As an experiment, I'd try limiting the number of connections allowed by utorrent.

Stuart
05-08-2008, 18:34
Well, theres no fault in the day, as soon as its traffic managment time it reboots every 30 seconds.

Traffic management (if it follows the given timings) only kicks in at peak periods. This is also when the network is likely to be under the greatest strain, and if some of the hardware in your local street cabinet (say) is not giving enough power as a result of being busy, it may cause your modem to reboot.

You can moan all you want, but you are unlikely to get this fixed unless you report it to Virgin, and they send an engineer out..

bonzoe
05-08-2008, 18:57
I had a similar problem, VM tech looked at the modem logs or whatever and ordered a new modem for me, just took a phone call to faults.

Oh BTW diagnosed over the phone

sstainer
05-08-2008, 19:45
just do yourself a favour call faults report your modem reboots under pressure or multiply downloading , & have it replaced

whydoIneedatech
05-08-2008, 19:55

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

That modem obviously has a fault and you need to call Tech Support to report it and get the fault diagnosed and possibly a new modem sent out to replace your elderly Ambit modem.

-----------------------------------------------

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

---------------------------------------------

The sooner you call, the quicker you may get a new modem which should help solve your problem.

prince4world
09-08-2008, 02:15
Sounds like modem fault.

deed02392
09-08-2008, 22:43
Move to warez.

ArcticFox
15-08-2008, 13:37
Its not a modem fault at all, i have a brand new 255 modem after the engineer came out and couldnt find any fault with my modem and swaped the modem just in case.

Every time i use utorrent my modem just stops and i have to power cycle it, it never happens when im downloading via HTTP, only when im using Torrents.

Paul
15-08-2008, 16:53
am I the only one to notice that virgin media are resetting the modems of torrent downloaders?
Yes, I think you are.

I have noticed one or two people always assume that any torrent problem is the fault of VM. ;) Ive never seen one that actually proved to be the case tho. :D

Report the fault.

Nilrem
15-08-2008, 17:50
It does sound rather like a faulty modem or software problem (too many connections, or a bad build of the client?), as I know it's not happening on my brothers connection (otherwise I would have been grumped at to look at it already) and he uses utorrent*.

It might be worth the op trying a different version of the utorrent client, trying limiting the number of connections it uses, and possibly a different torrent client altogether.
A quick look suggest that it defaults to something like 850 connections if you tell it you're on 20mbit (which i suspect will no agree with some modems/routers).

*I use bitcomet or bittornado on the rare occasions that I do use a torrent client (and have never had a problem).

david_w2k
07-10-2008, 15:23
Hi all
Thought I'd jump on this thread because its the same issue I'm having:)

I have the NTL:100 Modem and I also reckon the reboots i'm getting are utorrent related. For instance, I am currently working from home VPN'ed in, working completely fine... However, I can guarentee that when my brother gets home and switches his computer on it will start rebooting as he uses but torrent...

Any opinions on whether this is a modem fault or a limitation of this modem model?

deed02392
07-10-2008, 17:25
As people have said countless times throughout this thread, this is almost certainly a hardware issue with the modem. It may be getting too hot, or you may need to get a new one.

Calliope
08-10-2008, 01:23
I have this same problem but, for me, it's not VM's fault at all.

Are you using a router, by any chance? Torrenting gives my router a heart attack, with a similar result to the one you described (well, the router reboots. The modem doesn't). Connecting directly to the modem may solve this problem; it did for me.

whydoIneedatech
08-10-2008, 10:14
Hi all
Thought I'd jump on this thread because its the same issue I'm having:)

I have the NTL:100 Modem and I also reckon the reboots i'm getting are utorrent related. For instance, I am currently working from home VPN'ed in, working completely fine... However, I can guarentee that when my brother gets home and switches his computer on it will start rebooting as he uses but torrent...

Any opinions on whether this is a modem fault or a limitation of this modem model?
That is a very old modem and more likely it just requires replacing ring and explain your issue they should replace it for you.

Feenix
08-10-2008, 10:31
It's probably the torrent software flooding the SACMs connection. Try reducing the number of connections that your torrent software is able to make in/out.