PDA

View Full Version : Loss of service - Virgin are baffled

ivanwilson
04-08-2008, 19:32
I'm asking this on behalf on my neighbour, here in Belfast. They've been customers for about 10 years and I think have a 4mb connection. On Saturday when they tried to log on they got a page stating something along the lines of welcoming them as a new user. They were asked to enter their surname and postcode. When they did this the next screen said there was no record of this name/address. They can't get any further than this and I'm stumped. They've been on to Virgin support all weekend and the advice boils down to switching of for a while - 3 days !!!

Any help would be great, thanks

whydoIneedatech
04-08-2008, 20:01
I'm asking this on behalf on my neighbour, here in Belfast. They've been customers for about 10 years and I think have a 4mb connection. On Saturday when they tried to log on they got a page stating something along the lines of welcoming them as a new user. They were asked to enter their surname and postcode. When they did this the next screen said there was no record of this name/address. They can't get any further than this and I'm stumped. They've been on to Virgin support all weekend and the advice boils down to switching of for a while - 3 days !!!

They need to call back and ask for an explanation about what is going on.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 3 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Andrewcrawford23
04-08-2008, 20:16

What is the link to the page?

get them to command prompt and ping www.bbc.co.uk if they get a response the internet conenciton is fine.

But i suspect what is going on is they have got a spybot or malware on there computer and when tey entered there details it be sent to the person who created it.

oh as for virgin so called techincal support shut off for 3 days there idiots, my job is a techincal support person i never advise that mos ti woudl advise is 2 hour shut down but that for over heating.

Ignitionnet
04-08-2008, 20:48
Sounds like the modem has ended up with an IP address in the unregistered range for some reason in which case it only has a 1 hour long lease and there's no need at all to switch it off for 3 days.

A call to tech support is a good plan to try and figure out why the modem has apparently become unregistered.

Malware is highly, highly unlikely. A postcode and surname is hardly worth writing a nasty to steal.

Mr Crawford - the 3 day shut down suggestion was a brave but ultimately futile attempt to get the DHCP lease on the modem to expire.

EDIT: Unregistered modems can ping IIRC so the bbc.co.uk test is a waste of time as it'll just hit the registration server instead.

ivanwilson
04-08-2008, 21:40
Thanks everyone for the replies. Broadbandings may be right, any attempt to check other sites always ends back at the registration server. I'm not sure if they've turned the modem off in addition to the PC so we'll take it from there.

Thanks again.

Andrewcrawford23
04-08-2008, 22:17
Sounds like the modem has ended up with an IP address in the unregistered range for some reason in which case it only has a 1 hour long lease and there's no need at all to switch it off for 3 days.

A call to tech support is a good plan to try and figure out why the modem has apparently become unregistered.

Malware is highly, highly unlikely. A postcode and surname is hardly worth writing a nasty to steal.

Mr Crawford - the 3 day shut down suggestion was a brave but ultimately futile attempt to get the DHCP lease on the modem to expire.

EDIT: Unregistered modems can ping IIRC so the bbc.co.uk test is a waste of time as it'll just hit the registration server instead.

mmm i never suggest the 3day shutdown so dnt talk down to me like i have said something wrong, and i think you need to go do some checks malware do what hte user is reporting.

Ignitionnet
05-08-2008, 00:08
I didn't talk down to you I just explained the somewhat flawed rationale behind the tech support suggestion to turn it off for 3 days. I think you misunderstood me.

Malware isn't likely to take a user to the modem registration page, the modem becoming unregistered and picking up a pre-registration IP address is. A postcode and surname is hardly identity theft material, if it is then the phone book is a spyware directory.

Andrewcrawford23
05-08-2008, 09:05
I didn't talk down to you I just explained the somewhat flawed rationale behind the tech support suggestion to turn it off for 3 days. I think you misunderstood me.

Malware isn't likely to take a user to the modem registration page, the modem becoming unregistered and picking up a pre-registration IP address is. A postcode and surname is hardly identity theft material, if it is then the phone book is a spyware directory.

Fair enough then i must have misunderstood you, just the way you put MR CRAWFORD: suggesting you are talking down to someone like there infer or stupid.

I must hav misread the first poster then caus ei never read about takign ot modem registraion page, if it a case of the ip isnt gettign leased for logn enough check it with ipconfig /all and confirm the lease tiem and lease expire.