PDA

View Full Version : Ntl world / Virgin media Newsbins Server Problems

riskyb
03-08-2008, 16:07
Hi

I am new here and wondered if anyone could help me. I am using Newsbins Pro and have happily downloaded from Ntl Newsbins server for some time. However after a few months of not downloading I now find I am unable to connect. Each time I try I get an error saying 'error connecting to server during groups download' Anyone know why I am having this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

greeninferno
03-08-2008, 16:13
Hi

I am new here and wondered if anyone could help me. I am using Newsbins Pro and have happily downloaded from Ntl Newsbins server for some time. However after a few months of not downloading I now find I am unable to connect. Each time I try I get an error saying 'error connecting to server during groups download' Anyone know why I am having this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

if you haven't been downloading for months - you may not know that the server has changed address to news.virginmedia.com

riskyb
03-08-2008, 16:32
hey ty greeninferno for such a speedy response :D

i am now able to connect which is brilliant!!

i manage to download groups and they appear in the window that pops up, however as soon as i click the ok on the 'download complete' window they all dissappear again b4 I am able to select which groups I wish to keep :(

Any other ideas you can offer me pls?

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

In fact it says ' Failed to open the groups file. Please download groups.

greeninferno
03-08-2008, 16:43
hey ty greeninferno for such a speedy response :D

i am now able to connect which is brilliant!!

i manage to download groups and they appear in the window that pops up, however as soon as i click the ok on the 'download complete' window they all dissappear again b4 I am able to select which groups I wish to keep :(

Any other ideas you can offer me pls?

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:30 ----------

In fact it says ' Failed to open the groups file. Please download groups.

hi there.

I also use newsbin pro.

Do you have the "Groups" option at the top of newsbin ?

If so click on that and it should open up the Add group Dialog options.

From here select "Download Groups List From Server".

Once that is complete "Refresh the List" option.

You should then have the available list of newsgroups on news.virginmedia.com. Which you can filter by checking the boxes next to "Binaries" , "Pictures" etc.

You then just check the box next to each group and press "Ok " in the bottom right.

Kymmy
03-08-2008, 16:44
Works fine for me with newsbin v5.42

Kymmy

riskyb
14-08-2008, 10:32
Well I am now back 'up and running' with Newsbins. Thx for all the help guys :D

I had two problems, one was indeed the new server address so big thanks for that. The other was the problems keeping the downloaded groups in the window ready to pick from. This I found eventually was down to the fact I was using Vista, once I ran it on windows XP I had not problems at all.

Thanks for all the support
:D

daniel1234
09-01-2009, 18:53
Hello, i am new to using newsbin and stuff, but whenever i open a nzb file in newsbin pro it just comes up red and nothing seems to be downloading, i am with virgin media and somebody told me that many of the nzbs dont work with this virgin, if any body knows how to resolve this problem i would be very grateful

thanks daniel

Rik
09-01-2009, 18:56
Hello, i am new to using newsbin and stuff, but whenever i open a nzb file in newsbin pro it just comes up red and nothing seems to be downloading, i am with virgin media and somebody told me that many of the nzbs dont work with this virgin, if any body knows how to resolve this problem i would be very grateful

thanks daniel

The files are no longer on the Virgin Media newserver, thats why they are red, they are incomplete or not even there to download, another reason is the newsgroup that the nzb is for is not on the VM server.

If you can afford it go for a premium usenet provider which will offer longer retention and then you shouldnt have any problem downloading the nzbs, unless they are 240 days+ for instance.

You get what you pay for in this world ;)

PS to original poster, I dont think the kind of news we are talking about is Virgin Media News ;) Wrong section imo.

daniel1234
09-01-2009, 18:59
do you have to add groups, is it like essential?

Rik
09-01-2009, 19:04
do you have to add groups, is it like essential?

No you can simply download NZBs (try less than 20days old) and they should be on the VM server, but to play it safe I would download 10 day old ones or less.

I would recommend a download of the group list, then u can see if the group you are trying to download from is actually on the server, if it is not then again it will be red and nothing will download, youll have to find a nzb for a group that *is* on the VM News Server.

Not all groups are on the VM servers.

Cannot stress enough tho if you are planning on using Usenet a lot, you WILL need a premium provider, VM servers just dont cut it imo.

You could try www.astraweb.com (http://www.astraweb.com) www.newshosting.com (http://www.newshosting.com) and the daddy (imo) www.giganews.com (http://www.giganews.com) (Giganews are the most expensive tho, but well worth it)

Giganews offer a 10GB 14 Day trial as well, you could use that and provided u cancel before the 14days is up, it will cost you nothing, i doubt youll want to cancel tho once you have experienced the Giganews Way ;)

daniel1234
09-01-2009, 19:06
Thanks Lol ill try that :D

Rik
09-01-2009, 19:12
Not sure if you saw my edit above, but dont forget the Giganews 14 day (10GB) FREE Trial :)

daniel1234
09-01-2009, 19:17
so to be able to download posts that are over 20 days, do i have to upgrade?

homealone
09-01-2009, 20:15
so to be able to download posts that are over 20 days, do i have to upgrade?

Upgrade to another newsgroup provider? yes you do, but that isn't a 'free' option like the service Virgin provide.

The options via the links Rik provided are both very good, in my experience, but Astraweb is cheaper, especially if this offer

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html?gclid=CPKKjvumgpgCFcse3godVTQwCw

is still running.