PDA

View Full Version : help appreciated!

crazylinzi
02-08-2008, 17:02
I have no idea about computers so please bare with me.I have just bought my first computer,an ASUS EEEPC, a Linux operated laptop.It has wifi installed on it so do I need to get virgin broadband installed at home and then get a router so my laptop can connect to the internet?
Also is Linux compatible with Virgin media?
Also my computer has no cd drive so I wouldnt be able to install anything via cd so is there is some other of installing virgin?
I'm really confused and need help!!

whydoIneedatech
02-08-2008, 17:07
It is compatible with Virgin and the is no requirement to use a CDrom for anything you have mentioned.

If you have any problems setting up your connection you call Tech Support on 151 option 3.

Problems with setting up your router without a disk, you post on here.

Welcome to the Forum.:welcome:

crazylinzi
02-08-2008, 17:09
thank you,im completley dumb about computers you see.im sure i will work it all out! :)

Kymmy
02-08-2008, 17:24
If you have wireless then as you've already stated a wireless router will just plug into the modem via ethernet and allow the PC to access the internet.

The only time you ever needed a set-up disk anymore is for a USB install, but as the 255 and 256 modems now supplied do not have USB it's not a problem (only the older modems or the business install modems have USB)

If you connect any PC (*nix or win) directly to a modem all you need is an ethernet card set to DHCP. If via a router then the routers WAN port needs to be set to dhcp and the LAN port set to whatever your local netwrok is using. The only change then to your existing setup going through a router is if you;re using a fixed local IP you'll need to add the routers address as your DNS and GATEWAY

Kymmy

crazylinzi
02-08-2008, 17:28
I do not have a pc,all I have is this laptop that i will be gettin on monday.

Kymmy
02-08-2008, 17:29
Laptop/desktop/server....in the end they're all PC's ;)

psyfur
02-08-2008, 21:24
I do not have a pc,all I have is this laptop that i will be gettin on monday.

What did you order? It's all about the gaming rigs mate! :cool:

ruddock08
02-08-2008, 22:04
virgin media install a black box, hook that up with ethernet lead to back of your laptop and your away! wireless might be a little bit more difficult as you do need to use their cd (its their own setup software for the router, its crap :P). you could always go rnd a mates, rip the cd onto usb stick then plug that into yours? make sure you get all the files and then just run setup.exe.

whydoIneedatech
02-08-2008, 22:40
virgin media install a black box, hook that up with ethernet lead to back of your laptop and your away! wireless might be a little bit more difficult as you do need to use their cd (its their own setup software for the router, its crap :P). you could always go rnd a mates, rip the cd onto usb stick then plug that into yours? make sure you get all the files and then just run setup.exe.

No need to use any CD, you just connect the machine to the router with an ethernet lead, login using 192.168.1.1 set up the wireless security, whip out the lead and look for your network, enter passphrase and away.

psyfur
03-08-2008, 09:32
No need to use any CD, you just connect the machine to the router with an ethernet lead, login using 192.168.1.1 set up the wireless security, whip out the lead and look for your network, enter passphrase and away.

Anyone going to help him setup WEP or they will have some Wifi-jacker getting them traffic managed everyday...:rolleyes:

whydoIneedatech
03-08-2008, 09:34
Anyone going to help him setup WEP or they will have some Wifi-jacker getting them traffic managed everyday...:rolleyes:

Doe not get Laptop till tomorrow, so no help required as yet.

Joxer
03-08-2008, 10:08
You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection, I have to do this a fair bit because the cd won't run on a Mac.

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.

ruddock08
03-08-2008, 11:31
sorry guys, never knew with the virgin-branded stuff that you could do it through ip. guess ive learnt something new too! cos the virgin media setup cd sucks, very, very bad!

whydoIneedatech
03-08-2008, 11:55
You don't need the cd to set up VM routers, nor do you need a temporary cable connection, I have to do this a fair bit because the cd won't run on a Mac.

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "Virgin Broadband" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the cd.

Is it really that easy on a MAC and you use the the passphrase of "preinstall" and your away, I know the CD is pants and does not work with MACs

Joxer
03-08-2008, 12:04
Yep it really is that easy, takes 2 mins if the other person knows what they are doing, and can type - slightly longer otherwise. The router won't let you online until you reset the SSID and passphrase, not idea why it pops up with the login box afterwards - you certainly don't need to log in - the username is virgin and the password is password for anyone who is curious and wants to have a look at the config page, which can be accessed at any time via IP 192.168.0.1 or www.routerlogin.net or www.routerlogin.com the www. is not actually required.