PDA

View Full Version : NTL Business Install nightmare

FocusTech
02-08-2008, 12:48
Hi

We have just had a 10Mb NTL Business Broadband service installed. When the cable was pulled and the modem, line socket installed the service was not activated due to an exchange problem, so the install guys left me the details to register the modem once the line became active. The following day the sync led was on static and the ready led flashing. I was sure the install guys said both would be static.

After several wasted calls to technical I am getting no where, all the usual stupid questions, is it turned on, and the usefull statement nearly all problems like this are down to the modem needing reseting. They have been sending an engineer for the last 2 days and when I call I get told someone will call you back.

I have connected to the modem and logged in using the defaults (user/user) and got the status and upload/download info. The tech support said the info from this wasnt relevant and I shouldnt be logging into the modem. Can anyone tell me what the following means please ? I assume it to be some sort of problem with the line, not with me trying to register the modem as NTL technical keep telling me, as there is no internet connection active to register the flaming modem.

We went to cable as the BT Broadband service we have is useless, I am beginning to think the NTL service is the same already :td:

Any advice appreciated before I ring them back on Monday.. Thanks Sean

Below is the info from the modem screens

Cable Modem Status

Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 402750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State In Progress Upstream Parameters Acquired
Boot State In Progress Unknown
Security Disabled Disabled
Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5056.941 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 15.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.8 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock : Not Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

This is 2 copies of the various things reported in the log

Cable Modem Event Log

First Time Last Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) No initial ranging response from CMTS.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Cable Modem Event Log

First Time Last Time Priority Description
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Error (4) No initial ranging response from CMTS.
Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

Kymmy
02-08-2008, 12:51
Looks like there's still either an exchange problem or a cabinet problem.

Ring them up again as you should be on a 6 hour SLA :)

Kymmy

Sirius
02-08-2008, 13:12
Looks like there's still either an exchange problem or a cabinet problem.

Kymmy

Yep looks like a signal problem to me.

cybernetic_tiger
02-08-2008, 16:13

The 6hour SLA is only a callback SLA, there is no SLA for fix and the product is not supported out of hours.

FocusTech
02-08-2008, 18:47
Yep looks like a signal problem to me.

What would normal values be for the downstream and upstream ?
Cable is all new to me I know nothing :o: