PDA

View Full Version : No Omnibox

MADHEY
01-08-2008, 15:24
Hi,

I am getting Virgin (TV and Broadband) installed next week. I live in a terrace house in north London that has been split into 3 flats. According to Virgin the wiring has already been done in my house as a previous flat had cable.

Having looked outside, I can see the cable from the street coming through our front garden. However, it does not go into an external box (omnibox I believe) - it simply goes straight into the flat above me.

Will the engineer be able to cut this cable and create an omnibox to provide access to my flat and then re-connect the wire to the flat above me? Or will they have to pull an additional cable from the street?

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

piggy
01-08-2008, 16:12
if there is enough signal they will just fit a splitter in the omnibox

MADHEY
01-08-2008, 16:23
But there is no omnibox - do you mean (provided strong enough signal) that they will install an omnibox and then reconnect wiring to flat above and new wire into my flat?

piggy
01-08-2008, 16:29
But there is no omnibox - do you mean (provided strong enough signal) that they will install an omnibox and then reconnect wiring to flat above and new wire into my flat?

sorry i misread your post, if there is no external omni then i would imagine they might do a new pull or even cut the exsisting cable and give you the ext box with the feed carrying on to the flat above, a lot depends on what is on the crews worksheet if it is down as a pre-wire then they will splice into exsisting cable.

MADHEY
01-08-2008, 18:11
thanks for your response - so either way, in your opinion, the engineer should be able to complete the job on the day?

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Have just checked again, and not only is there no omnibox, but one of the wires (the thinner one - presumably phone line) is cut.

It sounds like I will need a repull.

Should I let Virgin know in advance?

roryboy
01-08-2008, 19:43
hi there im service engineer for vm . vm policy is one cable per flat by regs we are not allowed to cut in to an existing customers cable. the reasons for this is that the majority of drop cables are only 2 pair telephony cable as a service tech we always leave the 2nd pair as a spare just incase a line goes down or is damaged. so by rights it should need a new cable pulling in but the likelihood is that if a 1 man tech comes out he will fit an omni and cut the cable to feed both properties hope this helps

MADHEY
02-08-2008, 10:58
Thanks Rory, looks like I should be ok then? I have just taken a couple of photos of the cable as it currently is. Does this change your opinion?? Will the 1 man tech be able to fix this? As mentioned, no one in my building (3 flats) has VM presently. Thanks

roryboy
02-08-2008, 14:41
hi there i think ur find a 1 man tech will use that existing cable if it works there is an omnibox against the wall but no cover on it.most 1 man techs are told to install because of percentages by most contractors not wanting to lose what they call rgu's.

MADHEY
02-08-2008, 15:46
thanks. so the second cable that is cut is not needed? i am only getting tv and broadband - no phone. the other cable (as shown in picture) looks fine.

ps what are rgu's?

WHISTLED
02-08-2008, 16:02
Revenue generating units