PDA

View Full Version : Manchester broadband down again?

scrotnig
01-08-2008, 08:09
Is anyone else having trouble with broadband in manchester 9or thereabouts) again?

My Ready light is just flashing quickly so there's no connection.

Once again I'm having to pay 5p a minute to use a 56k connection in addition to paying £37 a month.

Enuff
01-08-2008, 08:17
It's ok here in M27.

scrotnig
01-08-2008, 08:19
It's ok here in M27.
Hmm. May be local to me then. Certainly there's something wrong. As usual.

As ever I can't inform them as I have to pay to do so.

kryogenik
01-08-2008, 08:38
Fine here.
Broadband faults is free now isn't it?

scrotnig
01-08-2008, 09:23
Fine here.
Broadband faults is free now isn't it?
Only if I'm at home....but I'm not now. I wouldn't want to phone them from anywhere other than home anyway, as I will no doubt have to "check my email settings" to make sure that's not causing the modem lights to flash. :rolleyes:

kryogenik
01-08-2008, 09:33
lol :D

eth01
01-08-2008, 09:48
Hmm. May be local to me then. Certainly there's something wrong. As usual.

As ever I can't inform them as I have to pay to do so.

Just you. 151 doesn't cost?

scrotnig
01-08-2008, 18:02
I did phone them when I got back home....although by then everything was back up.

The was some sort of localised network issue this morning, other people in my area were having the same issue.

It's been fixed. Don't know how long it was down for.

As ever a realistically speedy resolution. I don't want to sound like a moaner, as I'm generally pro-ntl (or whatever they're called this year). However, generally the reliability is deteriorating. My 20mb connection rarely exceeds 5mb - not atrocious in itself, but if you're paying for 20mb it's a bit deceptive. Worse than that, the number of outages is increasing. Sure, they are resolved expediently, and I'm not about to write to Trading Standards or anything, but I do observe a gradual deterioration in a broadband service that I've had since 2000 and which always used to be perfect and close to the advertised speed.

It all started when 10mb went to 20mb. My speed dropped from 8mb to 1mb, then went up to 5mb when they upgraded my oversubscribed UBR.

eth01
01-08-2008, 18:50
I did phone them when I got back home....although by then everything was back up.

The was some sort of localised network issue this morning, other people in my area were having the same issue.

It's been fixed. Don't know how long it was down for.

As ever a realistically speedy resolution. I don't want to sound like a moaner, as I'm generally pro-ntl (or whatever they're called this year). However, generally the reliability is deteriorating. My 20mb connection rarely exceeds 5mb - not atrocious in itself, but if you're paying for 20mb it's a bit deceptive. Worse than that, the number of outages is increasing. Sure, they are resolved expediently, and I'm not about to write to Trading Standards or anything, but I do observe a gradual deterioration in a broadband service that I've had since 2000 and which always used to be perfect and close to the advertised speed.

It all started when 10mb went to 20mb. My speed dropped from 8mb to 1mb, then went up to 5mb when they upgraded my oversubscribed UBR.

I happen to live in Manchester, and nobody else has complained nor is this logged with VM.

If you're in reciept of a service that doesn't live up to your expectations, then you're more than welcome to contact VM technical support... :)

scrotnig
01-08-2008, 18:59
I happen to live in Manchester, and nobody else has complained nor is this logged with VM.

If you're in reciept of a service that doesn't live up to your expectations, then you're more than welcome to contact VM technical support... :)

I have been through it with them back and to many times. Check email settings (:rolleyes:), etc etc. Some of the Indian techs are ok, others less so (such as telling me that my speed issues will be solved if I stop using my own domain name for email and start using ntl's :rolleyes:)

Eventually they tell me it's my PC. It isn't. An engineer has been out once and tested it on his laptop. It's about 5mb on that too.

They have also told me that the discount on my account that brings the price down for the VIP package, was actually a compensation discount for the slow speed. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is, the UBR is still oversubscribed, it isn't ever going to get fixed, and I dread the day they do the 50mb "upgrade" because my speed will plummet even further.

That said, it works, and it's probably still better than the ADSL providers. But it grates when I keep reading that my broadband is 20mb because it never is, never was and never will be.