PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new IP address?

Jelly
31-07-2008, 22:58
I appear to have annoyed an Internet Tough-guy to the point where he is threatening to either DDoS or DoS me. I'm fairly sure he doesn't know the difference and that these are empty threats, but for safety concerns I'm considering changing my IP, since he has my current one.

As far as I know, Virgin customers have Dynamic IPs that change every now and then, but I'm wondering if I can do it manually. Is it a case of ipconfig \release, ipconfig \renew, or do I need to unplug the modem for a while?

Thanks for any help.

eth01
31-07-2008, 23:17
:welcome:

please read: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-to-change-your-ip-address.html#2

Jelly
31-07-2008, 23:23
Thanks for that, I'll try it in the morning.

eth01
31-07-2008, 23:36
Thanks for that, I'll try it in the morning.

I've just updated it, let's hope a mod approves it :) if so, then you'll want to be reading the last post made in that thread.

TayUK
31-07-2008, 23:36
I appear to have annoyed an Internet Tough-guy to the point where he is threatening to either DDoS or DoS me. I'm fairly sure he doesn't know the difference and that these are empty threats, but for safety concerns I'm considering changing my IP, since he has my current one.

As far as I know, Virgin customers have Dynamic IPs that change every now and then, but I'm wondering if I can do it manually. Is it a case of ipconfig \release, ipconfig \renew, or do I need to unplug the modem for a while?

Thanks for any help.

You may just be passing the problem on to somebody else that might get your released IP..

If its a forum user an admin will be able to identify their IP address, if its via instant messaging a netstat command will probably identify the IP address they are using.

There are ways to get IP addresses, the net is not as safe and anonymous as people think.

I tend to route my email through google these days for news letters and stuff like that, if somebody wants to waste googles bandwith then as far as I am concerned they can feel free :)

eth01
31-07-2008, 23:38
You may just be passing the problem on to somebody else that might get your released IP..

they aren't used for a while, so i'm sure they'd give up :) (especially when it's nulled)

sstainer
31-07-2008, 23:41
:welcome:

please read: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602406-how-to-change-your-ip-address.html#2

your suggestion worked as well cheers

TayUK
31-07-2008, 23:44
they aren't used for a while, so i'm sure they'd give up :) (especially when it's nulled)

DHCP is quite clever.

Once a IP address has been reconciled as free in the DB its fair game is my understanding.

Depending on how many IP's there are in the scope would probably determine how often they could get used.

eth01
31-07-2008, 23:47
DHCP is quite clever.

Once a IP address has been reconciled as free in the DB its fair game is my understanding.

Depending on how many IP's there are in the scope would probably determine how often they could get used.

i'm quite aware of what DHCP can and can't do. it's held back *really*. nice effort though. :)

Tezcatlipoca
31-07-2008, 23:53
I've just updated it, let's hope a mod approves it :) if so, then you'll want to be reading the last post made in that thread.

Done :)

TayUK
31-07-2008, 23:56
i'm quite aware of what DHCP can and can't do. it's held back *really*. nice effort though. :)

I'm unaware of the lease duration on Virgins DHCP servers but assuming the original DHCP client has not gone through the re-newall process that IP address is available at lease expiration

Unless you know differant?

Perhaps I should go back to my old RFC's

eth01
31-07-2008, 23:59
I'm unaware of the lease duration on Virgins DHCP servers but assuming the original DHCP client has not gone through the re-newall process that IP address is available at lease expiration

Unless you know differant?

Perhaps I should go back to my old RFC's

once an IP address has gone past expiration, regardless of whether it was automatic or forced.. it's not provisioned to some customer down the road in the next 20 minutes. if you want more information, DOCSIS and DHCP might be of a good read.

TayUK
01-08-2008, 00:02
once an IP address has gone past expiration, regardless of whether it was automatic or forced.. it's not provisioned to some customer down the road in the next 20 minutes. if you want more information, DOCSIS and DHCP might be of a good read.

At 21 mins then? At what point on Virgins network is it available for reissue?

I prefer to read the RFC's they are a pretty good read too, amazing how many ISP's dont actually follow them.

eth01
01-08-2008, 00:04
At 21 mins then? At what point on Virgins network is it available for reissue?

I prefer to read the RFC's they are a pretty good read too, amazing how many ISP's dont actually follow them.

hehe. :)

Jelly
01-08-2008, 09:15
I've tried to do it a few times, and I'm able to get a new IP. However, when I reconnect the router, I can't access the internet. If I reset the modem, the Internet will work again, but my old IP has returned.

whydoIneedatech
01-08-2008, 09:23
I've tried to do it a few times, and I'm able to get a new IP. However, when I reconnect the router, I can't access the internet. If I reset the modem, the Internet will work again, but my old IP has returned.

If your UBR is heavily subscribed and the are only very few spare IPs available then sometimes even if you try all the normal tricks of leaving off your modem or router overnight, then all that happens is that once your MAC address is broadcast onto the servers and it goes through the DORA process which reads the MAC address and finds the previous IP is still available then you will be re allocated the same IP.

kryogenik
01-08-2008, 09:35
Can you access your router's configuration page?
That's how I did it. I changed the last two characters of the MAC address, rebooted router then modem (STB) and voila.

Jelly
01-08-2008, 10:09
I just did that, and success!

However, newsgroups and torrents seem to be pretty unresponsive; I get no seeds on torrents, and the newsgroup server just refuses to connect.

Edite: Scratch that, the news server couldn't find the files, but downloading some freshly uploaded ones as I speak. Speeds are what I'd expect. I'll check the torrents after newsgroup transfer has finished.

eth01
01-08-2008, 10:44

the ubr can't cope with the changes. you don't need to do it a "few times", isn't once enough?

kryogenik
01-08-2008, 10:54
As he kept getting the same IP back, it obviously thought it wasn't enough so kept trying? In any case, he's sorted now so I don't see the point in being nouty with him to be honest.

eth01
01-08-2008, 10:58

you need to change your routers MAC, then it'll work. although, not everybody is able to do this, so just leave it unplugged for 24 hours.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

As he kept getting the same IP back, it obviously thought it wasn't enough so kept trying? In any case, he's sorted now so I don't see the point in being nouty with him to be honest.

nobody is being "nouty", and let's not turn this into something which it isn't please....

Jelly
01-08-2008, 11:25
Torrents are working at full speed again, turns out I had limited the download speed while STM'd and forgotten to remove it.

eth01
01-08-2008, 11:29
Torrents are working at full speed again, turns out I had limited the download speed while STM'd and forgotten to remove it.

thought it might have been something simple :)