PDA

View Full Version : End mobile contract

LSainsbury
30-07-2008, 16:05
Afternoon,

In October my mobile contract is up and I can get a PAC code to move to another provider.

If I end the contract and don't use the PAC code, will I lose my mobile number or will it just remain dormant until I re-enable it on another provider?

Cheers

Lee

Paul K
30-07-2008, 16:27
I think you will probably lose it if you don't port it.

dragon
30-07-2008, 17:32
might be able to switch to PAYG on the same network to keep the number active.

Then just make a call every 60days or whatever it is.

WHISTLED
31-07-2008, 10:45
Im with dragon

LSainsbury
31-07-2008, 15:22
I spoke to one of my customers this morning who runs his own comms /mobile business.
They said that the number would remain with the provider and would not be reused.

Even so - I'll still use the PAC to port it and just shove it on a PAYG as a temporary measure.

Nugget
31-07-2008, 15:28
Im with dragon

That's sweet, but it doesn't really help with the PAC code, does it ;)

MikeyB
31-07-2008, 21:30
I spoke to one of my customers this morning who runs his own comms /mobile business.
They said that the number would remain with the provider and would not be reused.

Maybe things have changed, or it varies between the networks.
I used to have an O2 contract, changed networks about 3 years ago, didn't bother porting my number.
Just for something to do one day I would guess a year to 18 months later, tried ringing my old O2 number, it rang and someone answered!
I wouldn't say it was anyone from O2 because it was simply answered with "Hello"

My old BT landline number is also in use by someone else too.

Smilie
02-08-2008, 03:42
yea they do get re-used overtime
i had a txt from a friends old number asking who i am or something cant remember clearly
at 1st i thought it was my friend
thinking he changed his mobile and lost his contact list
after a few more txt over a few days i realise its a old number
and think 1 of my old msg or miss calls must have got to the new user
after they reactivated the number

AndyCambs
02-08-2008, 06:32
Logically there must be a finite permutation of numbers - therefore if an account has been closed, it must be re-used after time.

Enuff
02-08-2008, 12:59
I think the quicker you port it the better.

dragon
02-08-2008, 13:11
I think the quicker you port it the better.

Yep but if the OP does need to keep hold of it just get it put on a Prepay.

Most prepay T&C say something like make one chargable call every 60- 90 days to stay connected but that call can be literally just a few seconds long

LSainsbury
02-08-2008, 20:23
Went into some mobile phone shops today and it looks like the phone I want maybe here sooner than later, so it'll hopefull be a case of cancelling contract, getting a PAC code and jumping to new provider -fingers crossed!

BTW - Does anybody know if you can use a PAC code online? I've not changed provider for about 10 years so I'm not sure if there's a box to put the code into!

AndyCambs
02-08-2008, 22:23
When I ported my number from Orange to Virgin Mobile about a year ago - I opened the account with Virgin Mobile and for a short while ran two cell phones with different numbers. Then I called Orange to get the PAC which terminated the account, and within five days gave this to Virgin Mobile who changed my VM number to the Orange number. The activation of the PAC to the new phone company closes your original account with the old phone company.
Hope this helps

dragon
02-08-2008, 22:32
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/65/33636114-ported-numbers.html

Just a heads up for when you port your number