PDA

View Full Version : Usenet speed issue

psyfur
30-07-2008, 14:35
Hi there,

I have the 10MB broadband line from VM and until two days ago I have been fine downloading via newsgroups. I use a third party newsgroup called Newsdemon.

I have been able to download at 1.2 Mb/s for the last 3 months, however in the last few days, my connection will start at 1.2MB and then drop to 75k within a few minutes

I then check a online speed checker which give me 1.2 Mbs speed. So I called VM and they said no issue at there end and I have not be throttled (STM)

If I close my newsgroup downloader and start it again, I get 1.2bs for a few minutes then back to 75.K. I contacted Newsdemon and they said VM issue. I have tried different downloading software and different computers and get the same problem, so the issue is with the internet.

I have been taking the **** I guess with downloading 30Gig a night... However I wonder if they have now blocked my ports, which they deny.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

Kymmy
30-07-2008, 15:15
Which news servers are you using?

psyfur
30-07-2008, 15:16
Europe.newsdemon.com

Port 8080

Kymmy
30-07-2008, 15:19
Try using the other ports on offer and see if you get the same problem.

Kymmy

psyfur
30-07-2008, 15:59
Good point, I have used all three ports I can...

Thanks for your help though! :D

Jelly
30-07-2008, 17:00
Try downloading a file from VM's news server; if they're specifically throttling newsgroups, you'll get a similar speed.

Richy99
30-07-2008, 17:01
i have heard in the past of newsdemon throttling accounts after they download a specific amount

psyfur
30-07-2008, 17:49
Thanks for the replies, I have an unlimited account with newsdemon and say they are not throttling me.

I will do some test with VM newsgroups and HTP downloads and let you know the results.

Cheers,
PsYFuR

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Just downloaded a gig test file from:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download/

So the newsgroup is screwed either VM are filtering the traffic or newsdemon are at fault....

Jelly
30-07-2008, 19:35
Did you try downloading from VM's news servers? HTTP downloads won't be throttled, but I remember Traxdata talking about Newsgroup throttling a while ago. A test download from VM's servers should confirm if it's application management or not.

psyfur
30-07-2008, 21:29
Using VM newsgroups now but I got stung with STM ROFL!!!

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

VM Newsgroups work a treat and for some reason I get much faster speed than the newsdemon ones that I pay for....

Jelly
30-07-2008, 21:47
It looks like a Newsdemon problem then, or possibly VM are routing it in a weird way.

psyfur
30-07-2008, 22:15
It looks like a Newsdemon problem then, or possibly VM are routing it in a weird way.

Agreed! ;)

Just out of interest has anyone had any experience with SSL news group? I am looking at Giganews and they say that SSL downloading could avoid STM.

TayUK
30-07-2008, 23:16
Usenet works fine for me, 2.1MB after midnight on most evenings.

What you could try is one of the 3-4GB tests some of the usenet providers offer port hop and use SSL, you can verify if youve been throttled.

Personally I'm with newshosting as they have a Euro presence, I also use SSL for downloads no matter what I download.

I have noticed a bit of a slow down in the evenings but I suspect its just getting slower with more people coming on board.

I do a lot of Distro hopping and developing with Rpath hence a lot of downloading, also I have Vista, Mac and XP flavour machines, PS3 and a Wii all require patching like its going out of fashion.

Steve

Jelly
31-07-2008, 09:37
It doesn't matter if the data is SSL or not, you'll still be throttled.

xspeedyx
31-07-2008, 09:45
IIRC I used to use newsdemon and they have always had issues with NTL/Telewest connection I used to get crap speeds but it sounds like a newsdemon problem, with the problems I have had I would advise people to stay away from newsdemon if Virgin Media is your ISP, Giganews does seem the way to go

psyfur
31-07-2008, 11:58
IIRC I used to use newsdemon and they have always had issues with NTL/Telewest connection I used to get crap speeds but it sounds like a newsdemon problem, with the problems I have had I would advise people to stay away from newsdemon if Virgin Media is your ISP, Giganews does seem the way to go

I am signing up to Giganews this evening! Fingers crossed it works out. ;)

chamoan
31-07-2008, 13:47
I used to use Newsdemon myself, till they started having problems shall we say, ISP news speeds was maxing out. But Newsdemon was 30kbps after id used a few hundred gigabyte during my monthly subscription. They always swore blind they was not capping and is was my ISP where the problem lay. Gave up and went to Giganews, never looked back :D, Only problem now is Virgin's ridiculous STM.