PDA

View Full Version : Linksys Modem & Virgin Cable..........

carlitos
29-07-2008, 21:07
I have been upgraded from 4mb to 10mb by Virgin. The problem though is with my wireless router the linksys WRT54GS (version 6) it only gives me a speed of just over 3mb even though I am in the same room as the router.

It doesnt drop out or anything like that it is stable but it wont give me any were near 10mb eventhough I do get it when I plug my laptop directly into the Virgin Media 255 modem.

I have spoke to linksys they suggested some changes that didn't work.

Can anyone please help me set this up so I can take advantage of the new speed?

laxity
29-07-2008, 23:23
Try disabling QoS if you have it enabled.

MovedGoalPosts
30-07-2008, 00:35
Is the firmware on the router current?

When you are talking of speed via the router, is this wired or wireless that is slow?

carlitos
30-07-2008, 01:10
Is the firmware on the router current?

When you are talking of speed via the router, is this wired or wireless that is slow?

It is the latest software. It is the wireless which is slow, I have just tried a wired connection and it is fine.

QOS not enabled.

thanks

RealDiamond
30-07-2008, 14:14
go to the wireless section and turn off a,b wireless mode connections and select g-only mode. see if that wakes it up.

InsaneNutter
30-07-2008, 19:51
You can always look in to custom firmware such as Tomato or DDWRT, that helped me a lot over the stock Linksys firmware. Never had any issues with either firmware :)

carlitos
30-07-2008, 20:07
i have tried just the g-mode and it hasnt made to much of a difference I am getting a speed between 3.5mb-4mb no matter the mode. I think it might be the wireless card it as a belkin F5D7010.

Mr Nutter do you beleive this will cure my problem?

AbyssUnderground
30-07-2008, 21:35
Temporally try disabling encryption. If that speeds things up then the router isn't up to the job CPU wise, or your card isn't up to it software wise.

Leave it on G mode, its faster. B is 11Mbps, G is 54Mbps.

EssDee
31-07-2008, 00:36
Have you tried using a different wireless channel? Nearby wireless kit on the same channel may cause some conflict.

I also concur with using a 3rd party firmware. I have a WRT54G v5 on DD-WRT which upped my wireless speed dramatically. You should get more than 4Mb on the stock firmware though.

corf
31-07-2008, 14:13
B mode is approx 5.5mb max in each direction. This is halved if you have more than 1 wireless client connected.

G mode is approx 23mb in each directon, Again this is halved for every additional wireless connection.

Using WDS will count as a wireless client and half your bandwidth too.

I use tomato 1.21 on my wrt54gs v1.1 and get about 5.5mb with B and 9.8mb with G using a single wireless client on my 10mb (L) service. If I recall correctly v5 or V6 doesnt run on Linux so you cant change the firmware to DD-WRT or tomato.

brundles
31-07-2008, 14:22
From memory, those run vxworks but I thought I saw something on the DD-WRT WIKI about vxworkskiller and the ability to put mini versions of the firmwares on them.