PDA

View Full Version : Installing new modem?

WRF81
28-07-2008, 14:56
After numerous speed problems with my 3 year old modem Virgin finally sent me out a new one today.

I have the quick start guide, it says as well as the modem and various clips and cables I should have a booklet called "setting up your Virgin Broadband", but this isn't in the box. I looked on the website for details of how to install it and that says something about a CD, a user name and a password - I don't have ANY of these things!

My broadband is still on but with an old AOL branded cable modem (I was part of the migration from AOL to Virgin) so what exactly is missing out of the box that I need to install my new modem?

The new modem is an ambit 256. Would I be able to just download drivers for it from online and then use the new modem or is there some vital steps that I am missing out on because I don't have the Set up guide?

Kymmy
28-07-2008, 15:07
Presuming you;re using ethernet then just plug the new modem in and then call 150 on your Vm phone, CS will take you through the rest or at least tell you the web address/details needed to activate it.

Kymmy

WRF81
28-07-2008, 15:45
Presuming you;re using ethernet then just plug the new modem in and then call 150 on your Vm phone, CS will take you through the rest or at least tell you the web address/details needed to activate it.

Kymmy

Thanks for the help - I did just that and got back on the net no problem except every page said "Thanks for using virgin media, we are doing maintenence right now" so I rang customer services and they said the new modem couldn't be activated till tomorrow :mad: Luckily I still had my old modem and it's still working or else I would have been really annoyed at basically being left high & dry with no net overnight!

whydoIneedatech
28-07-2008, 16:26
Thanks for the help - I did just that and got back on the net no problem except every page said "Thanks for using virgin media, we are doing maintenence right now" so I rang customer services and they said the new modem couldn't be activated till tomorrow :mad: Luckily I still had my old modem and it's still working or else I would have been really annoyed at basically being left high & dry with no net overnight!

The has been a Major systems upgrade on the provisioning and email platform and has affected many callers today and yesterday.

WRF81
28-07-2008, 16:34
The has been a Major systems upgrade on the provisioning and email platform and has affected many callers today and yesterday.

I've calmed down now ;) I was more upset at the fact that potentially I had no net for the night, but the guy I talked to on the phone was really nice and that helped. Thanks to Kymmy for helping me and for your reply. Hopefully I should be sorted tomorrow and should get my full speeds. This is a great forum, it was responses to one of my previous posts about low speeds that prompted me to ask for a new modem so hopefully tomorrow once it's activated I should be totally sorted. Thanks everyone :D

Ricksta7
28-07-2008, 19:26
I seem to have had the same problem ?? I also have a new modem but can not see if it has fixed my problem until tomorrow. But the seconds guy I spoke to told me to phone back Wednesday :S I hope this fixes you're speed issues aswell as mine WRF :)

WRF81
28-07-2008, 23:47
I seem to have had the same problem ?? I also have a new modem but can not see if it has fixed my problem until tomorrow. But the seconds guy I spoke to told me to phone back Wednesday :S I hope this fixes you're speed issues aswell as mine WRF :)

Wednesday! The guy I spoke to was very nice and told me straight away to call back tomorrow. If I go through the same crawling under my desk to disconnect cables rigmarole as I did today for nothing I won't be amused :D

Here's hoping it fixes your problems too :D

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 06:55
Wednesday! The guy I spoke to was very nice and told me straight away to call back tomorrow. If I go through the same crawling under my desk to disconnect cables rigmarole as I did today for nothing I won't be amused :D

Here's hoping it fixes your problems too :D

You may have to power down the modem for provisioning hits to go through to your modem.

WRF81
29-07-2008, 14:08
You may have to power down the modem for provisioning hits to go through to your modem.

Rang back today, spoke to a lovely guy, my modem is now working and I am finally getting my full speed :D Thanks for everyones help!

Kymmy
29-07-2008, 14:15
Glad you're happy :)

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 14:29
Rang back today, spoke to a lovely guy, my modem is now working and I am finally getting my full speed :D Thanks for everyones help!

Your all sorted then;)

Ricksta7
01-08-2008, 20:00
I am all sorted aswell, I was getting speeds of 150kbps (ish) and now pretty much the 10Meg :D

Download Failed (1) (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)

whydoIneedatech
01-08-2008, 20:01
I am all sorted aswell, I was getting speeds of 150kbps (ish) and now pretty much the 10Meg :D

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/01310979.png (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)

Nice one;)

Swipe
03-08-2008, 07:38
They also sent an engineer around yesterday with a new modem to replace the one in the STB. I've spent hours on the phone to them and they've tried to register it 3 times now from their end but the registration server is not responding apparently :( I was expecting this to be a seamless swap over.

whydoIneedatech
03-08-2008, 08:38
They also sent an engineer around yesterday with a new modem to replace the one in the STB. I've spent hours on the phone to them and they've tried to register it 3 times now from their end but the registration server is not responding apparently :( I was expecting this to be a seamless swap over.

You are on an NTL connection and this is a known issue at the moment.