PDA

View Full Version : account restriced

buggerlugs
26-07-2008, 23:01
Ive been with VM since it was NTL and even beyond when it was diamond cable.
I've had internet for quite a few years now always having the mid to high broadband deals.

Several days ago I was testing my speed and though it a bit crap for 10mbit so I called VM.
When I asked why it was so slow I was told that my connection was only 4mbit, even though I've been paying £25 a month for around 18-24 months.
when I suggested £25 was a bit expensive for 4mbit compared to other operators the VM person suggested that other operators require a BT line - I reminded him I was paying £11 for a VM phone line too.

So a bit miffed I thought i would save some money and downgrade to the 2mbit package. I called back and explained this to customer services who explained that they couldn't deliver 10mbit until my local exchange was upgraded but she couldnt give me an ETA on it other than "probably before the end of the year".

She did tell me however that she could give me 20mbit and change my phone packed and it would cost me less each month than i was currently paying, so i went along with it.
I was told it could take upto 24hours before the speed increase registered.

30 hours later i called back informing them that i still only had 4mbit and the person on the other end who i couldnt understand flicked a switch and i had 20mbit. :mad:

So im all happy until this evening, 8pm my speed plummets back down to 4mbit. I spend a few hours messing with various bits of hardware, cables, firewalls etc but its suck at 4mbit.

At 10pm I called VM and was told the following;
"I can see that your connection has been crippled because you have tried to download more than 750mb during peak time"

I was extremely surprised and angry about this - I have never heard of this being done ever. All i could find was this text:

In addition to the above, Users' provision of IPS may not adversely affect any other users of our network (including telephony and internet services). Further, Users may not include within and/or distribute via an IPS any content without the express consent of the owner of all relevant rights in such content (including but not limited to intellectual property rights). We reserve the right to monitor network traffic and to take appropriate action as required, including the right to restrict any IPS. An example of such adverse usage could be the consumption of a high proportion of the available upload bandwidth over a significant period of time. We will not offer any technical support for the provision of IPS.

Is 750mb (a mere CD) consuming a high proportion of VM network resources?
what are 'peak hours'?
Will my cable be reset?
if so, when?
where is VM's public info about all this?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hugh
26-07-2008, 23:06
STM (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php)

buggerlugs
26-07-2008, 23:15
so peak hours are 9am-10pm 7 days a week?
thats ridiculous - it sounds like a mobile plan where networks arent ready for high traffic, not an established isp plan

whydoIneedatech
26-07-2008, 23:16
Ive been with VM since it was NTL and even beyond when it was diamond cable.
I've had internet for quite a few years now always having the mid to high broadband deals.

Several days ago I was testing my speed and though it a bit crap for 10mbit so I called VM.
When I asked why it was so slow I was told that my connection was only 4mbit, even though I've been paying £25 a month for around 18-24 months.
when I suggested £25 was a bit expensive for 4mbit compared to other operators the VM person suggested that other operators require a BT line - I reminded him I was paying £11 for a VM phone line too.

So a bit miffed I thought i would save some money and downgrade to the 2mbit package. I called back and explained this to customer services who explained that they couldn't deliver 10mbit until my local exchange was upgraded but she couldnt give me an ETA on it other than "probably before the end of the year".

She did tell me however that she could give me 20mbit and change my phone packed and it would cost me less each month than i was currently paying, so i went along with it.
I was told it could take upto 24hours before the speed increase registered.

30 hours later i called back informing them that i still only had 4mbit and the person on the other end who i couldnt understand flicked a switch and i had 20mbit. :mad:

So im all happy until this evening, 8pm my speed plummets back down to 4mbit. I spend a few hours messing with various bits of hardware, cables, firewalls etc but its suck at 4mbit.

At 10pm I called VM and was told the following;
"I can see that your connection has been crippled because you have tried to download more than 750mb during peak time"

I was extremely surprised and angry about this - I have never heard of this being done ever. All i could find was this text:

In addition to the above, Users' provision of IPS may not adversely affect any other users of our network (including telephony and internet services). Further, Users may not include within and/or distribute via an IPS any content without the express consent of the owner of all relevant rights in such content (including but not limited to intellectual property rights). We reserve the right to monitor network traffic and to take appropriate action as required, including the right to restrict any IPS. An example of such adverse usage could be the consumption of a high proportion of the available upload bandwidth over a significant period of time. We will not offer any technical support for the provision of IPS.

Is 750mb (a mere CD) consuming a high proportion of VM network resources?
what are 'peak hours'?
Will my cable be reset?
if so, when?
where is VM's public info about all this?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Virginmedia Traffic Management information here on these links below.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Plus much more on the Forum under STM.

watzizname
26-07-2008, 23:23
STM (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php)

Its supposed to be 3GB dl allowance between 4-9pm , if you're a 20Mb subscriber?

buggerlugs
26-07-2008, 23:37
yes according to that page i should be allowed 3gb between 16-21hrs and 6gb between 10-15 hrs and unlimited between 12.01am and 9.59am

I was specifically told 750mb tonight

Hatchet
27-07-2008, 03:48
so peak hours are 9am-10pm 7 days a week?
thats ridiculous - it sounds like a mobile plan where networks arent ready for high traffic, not an established isp plan

From my view of this STM I would say you hit the nail right on the head. The other theory is limit everyone, therefore leaving more room to add more customers :angel:

buggerlugs
27-07-2008, 11:11
further to this can anyone suggest some software that will monitor all my traffic at router level and that is free?

Or do virgin supply us with a tool so they we can deal with their restrictions?

The only thing they suggest on their page is some software that costs money and sits on 1 computer only.

Kymmy
27-07-2008, 11:13
It depends on what router you have, some have the ability to report back stat data..

Kymmy

buggerlugs
27-07-2008, 12:44
I have a linksys BEFSR41 and ive been playing with one program for ages now called "PRTG Network Monitor V7".
It doesnt seem to like my router though or my router doesnt want to share information

Kymmy
27-07-2008, 13:25
It doesn;t look like that router supports SNMP which is needed to allow a program to monitor router traffic

Kymmy

buggerlugs
27-07-2008, 15:32
really? the web based control panel has an option to turn SNMP (port 161) on or off under Applications and gaming/UPnP forwarding

Edit: found this information as to why it doesnt work;
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vb/VbNetLinkSysLog.aspx?display=Print

so now i have to buy a new router to monitor VM's restrictions. I just love them more and more each day