PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing router with old ntl modem

DoctorS
24-07-2008, 17:13
Hello all,

First post, hope to stick around, been lurking for a couple weeks :)

Wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I have just bought a new computer and a wireless N ultra range plus router. I bought the router because I want the new computer in another room from where i have the broadband cable. This is because I dont want the hassle I having to install another cable & in the future I want many wireless devices runing

Anyway on to my problems. So im guessing the best thing to do is to install the router using my old existing computer (in the room with the cable). My new computer should then be able to use the connection. At this point, I will no longer need the old computer and this room will just have the modem & with router

First problem. My cable broadband modem is connected to my old computer using a usb cable. I am assuming I will need to install the service again. But, problem two, i have a silver ntl cable broadband modem and the old ntlworld installer CD. Surely this will not work now with virgin media taking over?

I was hoping that all i would need to do is swap usb for ethernet (and it would work the same, no need to install again) but i am guessing this is very wishful thinking. Could anyone advise me what the best course of action would be to take. Can I request an installation CD from VM, or would this not even work now with my old ntl modem.?

Thanks very much.

DoctorS

Exorcist74
24-07-2008, 17:28
Hi Doc... just phone VM and ask them for a new modem, it will have a lan connection ( NTL250), you will also get the disc to setup your modem.. done
Its easy... good luck. ti will take 5min to setup, and the will also send it by post...

whydoIneedatech
24-07-2008, 17:32
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I have just bought a new computer and a wireless N ultra range plus router. I bought the router because I want the new computer in another room from where i have the broadband cable. This is because I dont want the hassle I having to install another cable & in the future I want many wireless devices runing

Anyway on to my problems. So im guessing the best thing to do is to install the router using my old existing computer (in the room with the cable). My new computer should then be able to use the connection. At this point, I will no longer need the old computer and this room will just have the modem & with router

First problem. My cable broadband modem is connected to my old computer using a usb cable. I am assuming I will need to install the service again. But, problem two, i have a silver ntl cable broadband modem and the old ntlworld installer CD. Surely this will not work now with virgin media taking over?

I was hoping that all i would need to do is swap usb for ethernet (and it would work the same, no need to install again) but i am guessing this is very wishful thinking. Could anyone advise me what the best course of action would be to take. Can I request an installation CD from VM, or would this not even work now with my old ntl modem.?

Thanks very much.

DoctorS

I would ring up Tech Support to see about getting a New modem as you probably have an old NTL 100/120 modem which depending on your package is not really suitable for speeds above 6/7Mb.

The Virgin Media installation Disks are no longer supplied, if you require a link for Activation then use the following link. http://act2.virginmedia.com/

Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

piggy
24-07-2008, 17:44
Hello all,

Thanks very much.

DoctorS

i would just plug your modem into your router with the ethernet conx and away you go, no need to install anything modem wise. you will only need a upgrade if your on the 20meg .

fudge
24-07-2008, 20:27
I have just bought a new computor and gone wi fi you just follow step by step instructions that come with the router , no need for old ntl disk , and no need to contact anyone , like you i have the silver ntl modem

whydoIneedatech
24-07-2008, 20:56
I have just bought a new computor and gone wi fi you just follow step by step instructions that come with the router , no need for old ntl disk , and no need to contact anyone , like you i have the silver ntl modem

If you have one of these you should ask for an upgrade as they are rather old and tired and you will get a better connection with a new modem.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/06/21.jpg
pic and details from chetnet.co.uk
more modem details are available on their site

ntl:home Series – 100, 120, 200
The ntl:home series was manufactured to ntl:'s specification by a leading Far Eastern electronics manufacturer, Ambit. All models are both Ethernet and USB.
The 100 model is Docsis only, so comments as above on Eurodocsis. Introduced in April 2002.
The 120 model is a special "Dual Mode" Docsis and Eurodocsis development for ntl: it is believed to be the first such development of a Cable Modem. The 2 in 120 meant "Dual Mode"

The 200 continued the "Dual Mode" capability and utilised a Docsis 2.0 Broadcomm chip although Docsis 2.0 has not been deployed on ntl:'s network.

All do support 10Mbps Tier of Service, provided that they are used with an "003" or greater version of firmware.