PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media dont support Outlook

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 20:51
I have used Outlook (2003 SP3) for a month now. It integrates well with activesync and my smartphone etc. I like the advanced features (searches and .pst files etc)
I have just had a problem that MS say is down to my ISP - Virgin Media.
I called the help team and they say they dont support Outlook - It must be the most popular email client in the world ......
They say use web mail !!!! ( How crap!!!!)
I have made an official complaint but have not received any replies....

Any suggestions... PS after starting Outlook again the stuck email(s) in the outbox eventually get sent. its something to do with SSL and the port that they use for SMTP
cheers - Duncan
comments welcome !
(I've been with them for over 10 years now and are really getting fed up with their attitude)

Graham M
23-07-2008, 21:08
Outlook is generally seen as a business application which I would imagine the business team support but since you are I am guessing a residential customer they will be expecting you to use Outlook Express/Windows Mail depending on your windows version. As far as I know SSL isn't supported?

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 21:19
yes I am a residentail customer, Outlook came with my MS Office CD...
and I want to use it . much better than Outlook Express....
I still think that they need to have a rethink
I was going to use them professionally for businesses I consult with but now I'm not so sure ... best bet to stick with BT !
any comments - Duncan

Cobbydaler
23-07-2008, 21:27
You used to be able to add a pop3 account to Outlook. I certainly did in Office 2000 when I still used Windows...

Graham M
23-07-2008, 21:28
Virgin Media and their business arm NTL:Telewest are different companies under the same banner and I think you'd find they'd support Outlook.

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 21:34
You used to be able to add a pop3 account to Outlook. I certainly did in Office 2000 when I still used Windows...

yes its set up for POP3 at NTL/Virgin Media I just get an occasional error relating to my ISP....

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 21:39
yes I am a residentail customer, Outlook came with my MS Office CD...
and I want to use it . much better than Outlook Express....
I still think that they need to have a rethink
I was going to use them professionally for businesses I consult with but now I'm not so sure ... best bet to stick with BT !
any comments - Duncan

We only support Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Mac Mail email clients as Outlook is as previously stated is mainly a business product.

I get round this when a customer calls in with Outlook by finding out if they have one of the other supported email clients on their computer.

I then help then set up say OE, get it up and running and then advise them to import the settings into Outlook, works in most cases.

----------------------------------------------

pop3 setup for NTL and TELEWEST

Below are 2 step by step guides

NTL
@ntlworld.com settings guide

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/supp...ngs_oe_xp.html

Telewest
@blueyonder.co.uk settings guide

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...upinstructions

This should help.

Cobbydaler
23-07-2008, 21:42
What is the exact error message?

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 21:47
We only support Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Mac Mail email clients as Outlook is as previously stated is mainly a business product.

I get round this when a customer calls in with Outlook by finding out if they have one of the other supported email clients on their computer.

I then help then set up say OE, get it up and running and then advise them to import the settings into Outlook, works in most cases.

----------------------------------------------

pop3 setup for NTL and TELEWEST

Below are 2 step by step guides

NTL
@ntlworld.com settings guide

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/supp...ngs_oe_xp.html

Telewest
@blueyonder.co.uk settings guide

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...upinstructions

This should help.

Thats exactly what I did... the Outlook setup wizard took care of all things and set it up.
If I get the error again I'll post it here... MS still say its down to the ISP...!

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 21:51
Thats exactly what I did... the Outlook setup wizard took care of all things and set it up.
If I get the error again I'll post it here... MS still say its down to the ISP...!

Try these Outlook setup links.

http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/winoutlook2003/

Cobbydaler
23-07-2008, 21:55
Outlook worked fine for me for years with a blueyonder.co.uk address. :shrug:

Graham M
23-07-2008, 22:01
Make sure you havent enabled SSL or anything along those lines

Richy99
23-07-2008, 22:02
outlook has never been supported by VM/ntl, iremeber the days when outlook express wasnt even supported, you are free to use it but you would not get help from the support lines

i take it from your post it is an issue sending emails rather than receiving them?

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:03
Try these Outlook setup links.

http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_outlook.htm

http://www1.umn.edu/adcs/guides/email/winoutlook2003/

That looks fine... Uses a different port no. for SMTP ... Other forums have suggested try 587 ? from memory

As I said it works 95% of the time and occasionally I get a stuck email in my outbox

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:06
That looks fine... Uses a different port no. for SMTP ... Other forums have suggested try 587 ? from memory

As I said it works 95% of the time and occasionally I get a stuck email in my outbox

pop3 is 110

smtp is 25

on a Virgin Media connection

Richy99
23-07-2008, 22:07
unless by the sounds of it, he is trying to use SSL

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:14
yes its sending emails - works 95% of the time - I dint use SSL

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:16

Webmail for people like yourself and many others is just their as backup.

Richy99
23-07-2008, 22:23

ok because you mentioned SSL in your op

AbyssUnderground
23-07-2008, 22:24
pop3 is 25

smtp is 110

Other way around, lol.

SMTP: Port 25
POP: Port 110

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:26
Other way around, lol.

SMTP: Port 25
POP: Port 110

Quite right, I think I am a bit tired.:LOL:

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:27
Webmail for people like yourself and many others is just their as backup.

yes I use it at remote locations to check on emails....
I mainly use my smartphone (WM6) but that is not supported by Virgin Media..... - Had to use an SMTP relay agent ! more problems but sorted.
didnnt cost a lot but technically it works . VirginMedia suchs!!!!

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:31
I mainly use my smartphone (WM6) but that is not supported by Virgin Media..... - Had to use an SMTP relay agent ! more problems but sorted.

SMTP is not supported outside of the network usually which stops you sending mail, but POP3 is so you can receive mail

Richy99
23-07-2008, 22:32

they suck why? because they wont let you sent email via their servers when you arent connected to them?

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:37
they suck why? because they wont let you sent email via their servers when you arent connected to them?
I'm connected via web services provided by T-Mobile...

brundles
23-07-2008, 22:40
You're not running AVG by any chance?

I've seen some anti-virus scanners (particularly AVG with the way it works) cause problems with the way they try and proxy the connection between you and the ISP. Can you reproduce the problem with all e-mail scanning functionality disabled?

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:41

If you are not on a Virgin connection then you will have problems sending but not receiving.

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:44
If you are not on a Virgin connection then you will have problems sending but not receiving.

Yes I've sorted that - use an SMTP relay agent and it works perfectly. If I use my mobile on WiFI then it works... someting to do with IP addresses ? perhaps

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:47
Yes I've sorted that - use an SMTP relay agent and it works perfectly. If I use my mobile on WiFI then it works... someting to do with IP addresses ? perhaps

The SMTP relay agent and T-Mobile are not really a supported issue, but good to see that this thread has been of help to you.:)

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 22:55
The SMTP relay agent and T-Mobile are not really a supported issue, but good to see that this thread has been of help to you.:)

No NAV - Symantic

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

yes it has been an interesting week... lots of google searches and forums - but its all the on the internet. Still think that Virgin Media needs to be more up to date....

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 22:57
No NAV - Symantic

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

yes it has been an interesting week... lots of google searches and forums - but its all the on the internet. Still think that Virgin Media needs to be more up to date....

Whats the NAV - SYMANTIC

hokkers999
23-07-2008, 23:01
I have used Outlook (2003 SP3) for a month now. It integrates well with activesync and my smartphone etc. I like the advanced features (searches and .pst files etc)
I have just had a problem that MS say is down to my ISP - Virgin Media.
I called the help team and they say they dont support Outlook - It must be the most popular email client in the world ......
They say use web mail !!!! ( How crap!!!!)
I have made an official complaint but have not received any replies....

Any suggestions... PS after starting Outlook again the stuck email(s) in the outbox eventually get sent. its something to do with SSL and the port that they use for SMTP
cheers - Duncan
comments welcome !
(I've been with them for over 10 years now and are really getting fed up with their attitude)

You could always just use the Outlook web interface? Or better still ditch it completely and switch to Thunderbird. :)

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:02
The CD says Nortion Internet Security 2007....

hokkers999
23-07-2008, 23:03

and you *really* ought to ditch that. Google a bit for NAV and resource useage etc....

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:04
You could always just use the Outlook web interface? Or better still ditch it completely and switch to Thunderbird. :)

Whats Thunder bird - will it synchronise using active sync?

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 23:04

Is that on your computer then, it should not really be causing problems but you could check the email access levels.

hokkers999
23-07-2008, 23:06
Whats Thunder bird - will it synchronise using active sync?

Start here

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I use it on my laptop to connect to the office Outlook 2003 server. On my desktop to connect to two different email accounts - one via POP3 the other via IMAP.

Best of all, it's free!

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:07
and you *really* ought to ditch that. Google a bit for NAV and resource useage etc....

Tell me more ?.....

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 23:08
Start here

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I use it on my laptop to connect to the office Outlook 2003 server. On my desktop to connect to two different email accounts - one via POP3 the other via IMAP.

Best of all, it's free!

It is a good product, but another one thats unsupported by Virgin.

But do not let that stop you as it may be what you need to access your email.

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:14
I still prefere Outlook 2003 as It syncs with my mobile

Richy99
23-07-2008, 23:26
internet. Still think that Virgin Media needs to be more up to date....

how?

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:30
how?
support Outlook and smartmobiles....

hokkers999
23-07-2008, 23:32
pop3 is 110

smtp is 25

On any connection, they are the standard ports.

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:32

Support Outlook and smart mobiles...

Horace
23-07-2008, 23:34
All they're saying is they don't support 3rd party applications, they shouldn't support any and concentrate on services they do provide. Email ports work fine with VM, I use them every day, if you can't fix the problem and MS won't help then find someone and pay them to fix the problem and stop cluttering up the support lines for problems not related to VM, you wouldn't contact your electricity supplier about a washing machine problem would you? Same thing, they provide the pipe and what sits on either end of it is your concern.

duncanhead
23-07-2008, 23:45
All they're saying is they don't support 3rd party applications, they shouldn't support any and concentrate on services they do provide. Email ports work fine with VM, I use them every day, if you can't fix the problem and MS won't help then find someone and pay them to fix the problem and stop cluttering up the support lines for problems not related to VM, you wouldn't contact your electricity supplier about a washing machine problem would you? Same thing, they provide the pipe and what sits on either end of it is your concern.

Sorry I dont like your attitude... Its all,about Virgin midea not supporting Outlook .. dont reply.. MS say its done to my ISP (Virgin Media)

Richy99
24-07-2008, 00:09

lol yeah course as thats part of the services they offer isnt it, mobile devices etc

virgin have never supported outlook and i doubt never will until they proivide

tbh i dont think many like your attitude you have given in posts either

moaningmags
24-07-2008, 02:25
Outlook Express is installed as part of Windows, that's why it's supported.
Microsoft Outlook is installed as part of Office, that's why it's not supported.

Routers not supplied by VM, Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, NAV, ZoneAlarm, AVG etc is all 3rd party so not supported.

jamiefrost
24-07-2008, 09:38
Still haven't seen what the real problem is. Used outlook for years without any problems. If you could let people know what the problem is there a lot of very helpful people around here.

JJ

duncanhead
24-07-2008, 09:43
Its..
sending error report..0x8004210B.. timed out waiting for a responce from your SMTP server..please contact your ISP
Duncan

Richy99
24-07-2008, 18:31
which WILL NOT be VM as you have said you are not connecting to them you are using mobile broadband with someone else

duncanhead
24-07-2008, 18:47
which WILL NOT be VM as you have said you are not connecting to them you are using mobile broadband with someone else

You've got me wrong... I have broadband from VirginMedia .. thats what this post is all about

Richy99
24-07-2008, 19:25

you said that not you are conencted to VM

duncanhead
24-07-2008, 19:44
sorry I'm totally confused?....
I use VM broadband - have done for 10 years or more since they were cabletel then NTL
This post is about my home PC....

piggy
24-07-2008, 19:55
its not a vm issue

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=ytff1-&p=0x800CCC0E&ei=UTF-8

duncanhead
24-07-2008, 20:26
cheers mate, but doing a google or yahoo search brings up too many adverts for s/w fixes etc...
looked in MS technet and found this:
o activate this fix, follow these steps:1. Quit Outlook.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate, and then click to select the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outloo k
5. After you select the key that is specified in step 4, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD.
6. Type UseInetcommCS, and then press ENTER.
7. Right-click UseInetcommCS, and then click Modify.
8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
9. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

I've done this and see if the error occurs again....
regards Duncan

Richy99
24-07-2008, 20:32
sorry I'm totally confused?....
I use VM broadband - have done for 10 years or more since they were cabletel then NTL
This post is about my home PC....

ok so why did you say you were using t mobile? you are giving conflicting information

Onclejean
26-08-2009, 17:41
:batty:
It is correct that Virgin Media email is difficult to set up in Outlook but easy to set up in Outlook Express. Why Virgin should continue with this anachronistic policy can not be understood since Outlook is so widely used and Outlook Express is now obsolete.

However if you still have Outlook Express in your system then first set up the email with Outlook Express as the client for MAIL ( your news group settings probably are juggled to prevent spammers from using them). Then in Outlook, depending on the version, in the Accounts module, either "copy pop3.........etc" or "import email accounts...........etc" The first option is the best.
Then go back in the Outlook main pane and right click on the account that has appeared and right click it to open the settings: make sure the username and password are correct and rename the account to your choice.:angel:

Peter_
26-08-2009, 18:12
It is correct that Virgin Media email is difficult to set up in Outlook but easy to set up in Outlook Express. Why Virgin should continue with this anachronistic policy can not be understood since Outlook is so widely used and Outlook Express is now obsolete.

Windows mail in Vista is basically Outlook Express and still supported by Virginmedia.

Outlook is part of the Microsoft Office suite which is 3rd party software and therefore not supported as it does not come as standard with your operating system.

caph
26-08-2009, 20:18
I've only ever used Outlook (not Express) with VM for exactly the same reason you do, MS refuse to support synchronising anything else with a mobile device! Anyway, I've never had any problems so I'm guessing whatever your problem is, it will be resolvable. I'm still using Outlook 2002 though.

Hugh
26-08-2009, 20:35
Bump of a year old thread, btw.

Web-Junkie
26-08-2009, 21:30
Still valid if VM still do not support Outlook! I personally use Outlook 2007 (and used previous versions of Outlook) and have never had any issues with using email, it's the only email client I use for my ntlworld email.

Peter_
26-08-2009, 21:36
Still valid if VM still do not support Outlook! I personally use Outlook 2007 (and used previous versions of Outlook) and have never had any issues with using email, it's the only email client I use for my ntlworld email.
It is quite easy to set up with a Virginmedia account as it is all on one page, but as it is 3rd party software it cannot be supported.

Hugh
26-08-2009, 21:40
Well, I use Outlook 2007 to have a single view on my Hotmail, Google, and Ntlworld accounts, and it works fine - but I wouldn't expect VM to provide support for a BillSoft software package, just like I don't expect them to support COD:WAW ;)

Welshchris
26-08-2009, 22:26
it depends who u actually talk to, i did ring Virgin once with a problem concerning errors and told the guy it was in outlook 2003 on someones system and he was able to help!

LaineY
27-08-2009, 10:25
Virgin Media Technical Support only support the Email Client built into Windows.

Its the same with Firefox / Safari / etc. we only support Internet Explorer.

Its called a support scope. If you start going outside it you end up getting in a mess with software we technically should not support anyway.

If you ever need help setting up Outlook im pretty sure theres an Outlook Express Walkthrough on the Virgin Media Help Website.. Which pretty much takes you through it even with screenshots.

greenlantern64
27-08-2009, 10:37
hi i use outlook 2007 on my machines at home. all work ok. All self setup without any problems, with outlook pulling down all the connection infomation itself.

Onclejean
27-08-2009, 12:14

A Virgin employee says that Virgin do not support Outlook because it is a part of the
"Microsoft Office suite" which is 3rd party software"
I am passing this classic oxymoron onto Bill Gates so that he knows Richard considers Microsoft Office, the company's flagship product, is "third party software"
As many contributors above have suggested Virgin damn well ought to support Outlook because when they were Telewest they did.:angel:

Jon T
27-08-2009, 12:25
1st Party = You

2nd Party = Virgin

3rd Party = Microsoft

How the heck is that an oxymorn(contradiction in terms)?

Microsoft Outlook sends and recieves mail by using POP/SMTP, so where's your problem in using it with Virgin.

When they say they don't support it they don't mean you can't use it, they mean if you phone up wanting configuration or usage advice that they are under no obligation to give it to you.

There isn't anything wrong with this IMHO, they can't/don't need to support anything but the basics.

Peter_
27-08-2009, 12:37

A Virgin employee says that Virgin do not support Outlook because it is a part of the
I am passing this classic oxymoron onto Bill Gates so that he knows Richard considers Microsoft Office, the company's flagship product, is "third party software"
As many contributors above have suggested Virgin damn well ought to support Outlook because when they were Telewest they did.:angel:

If it comes aspart of the operating system then its supported, if you have to install it then it is not supported but will work.

I use Thunderbird which is not supported but works and previously to that Evolution mail and that worked as well.

If you choose to use 3rd party software then be aware of the limits regards support from Virginmedia.

Stuart
27-08-2009, 13:12
There isn't anything wrong with this IMHO, they can't/don't need to support anything but the basics.

Indeed, it's a policy we follow at work with our wireless network. While the network doesn't require it, we will only support students who use the standard tools provided with Windows and OSX (The Wireless Control Panel on Windows and OSX's Wireless network manager). This is only because we don't have time to learn the layout of all the various Wireless manager programs out there.

I suspect it's the same with Virgin. While other email clients will work with their service (indeed, when I joined up in the dark old days when it was Cable & Wireless, Outlook worked fine for my C&W email), they can't train their staff in all of the hundreds of available email clients, so they only officially support those built into the OS.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

The status of Office within Microsoft is not relevant. It may be Microsoft's flagship software but the fact is that in any communication between you and Virgin, You and Virgin are the first and second parties. Anyone else (including Microsoft) is a third party.

Onclejean
27-08-2009, 14:24
You have ignored my point. Virgin are saying that Outlook Express is supported, but Outlook is NOT because it is "third party software".
Here is an accepted definition of third party software:-
"In computer programming, a third party software component is a reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform. The third party software component market thrives because component oriented development improves the efficiency and quality of developing custom applications."

Windows, Outlook and Outlook Express are all developed by the same original vendor. Your terminological inexactitude is not a good reason for Virgin to say they will not support Outlook when with a minimum of help it will:angel:

Stuart
27-08-2009, 14:33
You have ignored my point. :

As you have mine. My actual point was that Virgin only appear to support the mail client built into the OS (or in the case of Vista, downloaded before first use). This is actually standard procedure for a lot of companies. It is infuriating (from a user point of view) but it is also practical. There are hundreds of email clients out there, and the staff at Virgin cannot know them all. They have to draw a line somewhere. They have clearly decided to draw it at the mail client built into the OS..

Having said that, even if they don't offer support over the phone for Outlook, they could at least update the outlook setup tutorial on their support pages with a version newer than Outlook 2000.

Onclejean
27-08-2009, 16:32
I think you must have come to Virgin via NTL because the ci-devant Blueyonder customers get no help on Outlook and as you say are referred to an out of date on Outlook Express.
My original post on this thread was just to try and help a newcomer who could not get Outlook to work with his Virgin connection!
I do feel that in the recent past Virgin pretty well lost interest in their Internet customers and provided very poor technical support.
Indeed, :mad: after the merger I could not use Virgin email for about two months while some technical problems were being resolved and then I could not use Outlook (not matter critical as I also have a slower MSN premium connection on Sky)
Now that there is more interest in TV-online Virgin may pay more attatention to their broadband customers cf this note use page wrap before clicking
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/08/27/customers-of-uk-broadband-isp-virgin-media-hit-by-national-email-outage.html
Kind Regards:angel:

Stuart
27-08-2009, 16:50
I think you must have come to Virgin via NTL because the ci-devant Blueyonder customers get no help on Outlook and as you say are referred to an out of date on Outlook Express.
My original post on this thread was just to try and help a newcomer who could not get Outlook to work with his Virgin connection!
I do feel that in the recent past Virgin pretty well lost interest in their Internet customers and provided very poor technical support.
Indeed, :mad: after the merger I could not use Virgin email for about two months while some technical problems were being resolved and then I could not use Outlook (not matter critical as I also have a slower MSN premium connection on Sky)
Now that there is more interest in TV-online Virgin may pay more attatention to their broadband customers cf this note use page wrap before clicking
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/08/27/customers-of-uk-broadband-isp-virgin-media-hit-by-national-email-outage.html
Kind Regards:angel:

Actually, I terminated my Virgin broadband over two years ago. However, I never had an NTL email account. I had a Cable and Wireless one, and it was one that NTL (for reasons best known to themselves) terminated when they bought the cable business from C&W.

I had that account running via Outlook (actually 98) with no problem. However, I will say that I never asked for support.

The support page I was referring to actually covers Outlook 2000, and not Outlook Express: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/get-started/other-o2000.php

Web-Junkie
27-08-2009, 18:43
Outlook 2000 is part of Office 2000 is it not? Isn't that 3rd party software then :)

Peter_
27-08-2009, 18:48
Outlook 2000 is part of Office 2000 is it not? Isn't that 3rd party software then :)
Thats why its only on a self help page as we do not support it over the phone as it is out of our support scope.

But you can set up any email client to work with a Virginmedia email account and if unsure you just Google for help.

Web-Junkie
27-08-2009, 19:16
I wondered if they'd changed their policy seeing as they've made an effort to explain how to configure it.

But If it's only 'self help' then!

Peter_
27-08-2009, 19:28
I wondered if they'd changed their policy seeing as they've made an effort to explain how to configure it.

But If it's only 'self help' then!
This thread is just about Virginmedia not supporting Outlook which has more than one variation to have to work with, below is a link that gives you an insight into how many 3rd party email clients are available and the are probably many more.:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-mail_clients

We cannot offer everyone support and it is just the same with anyone having issues with 3rd party routers.:)

Stuart
27-08-2009, 19:59

Yes..

Tijer
27-08-2009, 20:04
personally i use thunderbird......

Hugh
27-08-2009, 20:42
personally I drink thunderbird......

(no, I don't - really; I prefer a nice shiraz)

Web-Junkie
27-08-2009, 21:04
Personally I watch Thunderbirds :) G... Gee Mr Tracy!!

Onclejean
28-08-2009, 16:13
Actually, I terminated my Virgin broadband over two years ago. However, I never had an NTL email account. I had a Cable and Wireless one, and it was one that NTL (for reasons best known to themselves) terminated when they bought the cable business from C&W.

I had that account running via Outlook (actually 98) with no problem. However, I will say that I never asked for support.

The support page I was referring to actually covers Outlook 2000, and not Outlook Express: http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/get-started/other-o2000.php
I came to cable internet via United Artists (15 years ago?) so that is probably why, like you, I had no problems with that old version of Outlook originally. Eheu fugaces!:angel:

Hugh
28-08-2009, 17:23
labuntur anni ;)

I've had email with Jones Cable, Bell CableMedia, C&W Comms, NTL, and VirginMedia, and strangely enough, it's all been through the same Seacroft Headend :D (and Outlook, in it's various guises, up to and including 2007 has always worked).

BenMcr
28-08-2009, 17:26
I don't see what the issue is. Outlook uses the same settings (POP/SMTP etc) as every other e-mail program, it's just how you enter those details may vary

So even if Virgin don't support it, just using the standard details should work every time. If they don't it's probably something else that the e-mail client

Onclejean
28-08-2009, 17:51
I don't see what the issue is. Outlook uses the same settings (POP/SMTP etc) as every other e-mail program, it's just how you enter those details may vary

So even if Virgin don't support it, just using the standard details should work every time. If they don't it's probably something else that the e-mail client

:batty:You are probably wrong. I have used Outlook and Outlook Express since they started: the first for email and the second for news reading. I have had many different ISP's but Virgin\Telewest\United Artists and is the only one that has had problems with Outlook. My guess is that is because it was started by the Denver Cable Company (1984) and started with US webmail and has never properly migrated to Pop3:angel:

Jon T
28-08-2009, 20:36
:batty:You are probably wrong.

I think he's probably right ;)

Outlook works fine with Virgin, doesn't matter if it's ex-ntl or ex-telewest, I knowe too many people that use outlook with their cable connection.

If the implementation of the email service wazs non standard(in terms of POP3/SMTP) then a lot of email clients would have issues, not only outlook, which they don't.

Onclejean
28-08-2009, 21:16
:batty:I think he's probably right ;)

Outlook works fine with Virgin, doesn't matter if it's ex-ntl or ex-telewest, I knowe too many people that use outlook with their cable connection.

If the implementation of the email service was non standard(in terms of POP3/SMTP) then a lot of email clients would have issues, not only outlook, which they don't.

:batty: Why then do so many users complain that they cannot get Outlook to run with VM as their email client and why VM says it is not supported?
I did have to import settings from OE 6 to run Outlook 2007 as I posted earlier, I could not configure the latter normally. I think the topic is exhausted so I will say no more.
:angel:

haydnwalker
28-08-2009, 21:22
Do virgin have a policy yet about mail client support on Windows 7 - as it isn't getting a built in Mail Client - Live Mail has to be downloaded separately...hence its 3rd party software :)

moaningmags
28-08-2009, 21:23
We don't support Windows 7 so I'm guessing not mail either :)

Peter_
28-08-2009, 21:29
Why then do so many users complain that they cannot get Outlook to run with VM as their email client and why VM says it is not supported?

Outlook works fine with Virgins standard pop3 settings I speak to enough people using it in the course of one week and no one ever complains that they find it impossible to set up.

All you need is your correct pop3 settings which can be found in this link ignore that it says Outlook Express as you use the same basic settings click HERE (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/email/get-started/oe6.php) then all you need is your correct password and if a @blueyonder.co.uk account holder the account username such as ab123c4567 both of which can be obtained from Tech Support.

Then you can click the following link for how to set up Outlook with the above details just click HERE (http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook.shtml)

musicbravo
28-08-2009, 21:49
Outlook no matter what version works with VM. QED

I have Outlook 2007, here are the instructions that do work:-

Open outlook
On menu bar click tools > account settings

Click new > ensure radio button says microsoft exchange, pop3, IMAP or HTTP

Then click next

Fill in your name (hopefully this is the easy part)

Fill in your full email address e.g Joe.bloggs@yourisp.com (for ntl = Joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com)

enter your password
reenter your password

If you love microsoft click next

If the love is not there, tick manually configure and then click next

click next again

First 3 boxes are filled in correctly

under incoming mail server type pop3.isp.com (where isp could equal ntlworld, virginmedia or equivalent)

Under outgoing mail server type smtp.isp.com (where isp could equal ntlworld, virginmedia or equivalent)

username= first part of email so for my example = joe.bloggs

password = only you know that

then click next

click finished and you are done.

If this doesnt work then you have not followed the instructions. Only exception is Blueyonder i think where instead of isp.com it will be blueyonder.co.uk

As stated before this does work, vthere is no issue with Outlook I have use outloock since the Outlook xp edition and i have always been able to configure it. QED

Peter_
28-08-2009, 22:03
Outlook no matter what version works with VM. QED

I have Outlook 2007, here are the instructions that do work:-

Open outlook
On menu bar click tools > account settings

Click new > ensure radio button says microsoft exchange, pop3, IMAP or HTTP

Then click next

Fill in your name (hopefully this is the easy part)

Fill in your full email address e.g Joe.bloggs@yourisp.com (for ntl = Joe.bloggs@ntlworld.com)

enter your password
reenter your password

If you love microsoft click next

If the love is not there, tick manually configure and then click next

click next again

First 3 boxes are filled in correctly

under incoming mail server type pop3.isp.com (where isp could equal ntlworld, virginmedia or equivalent)

Under outgoing mail server type smtp.isp.com (where isp could equal ntlworld, virginmedia or equivalent)

username= first part of email so for my example = joe.bloggs

password = only you know that

then click next

click finished and you are done.

If this doesnt work then you have not followed the instructions. Only exception is Blueyonder i think where instead of isp.com it will be blueyonder.co.uk

As stated before this does work, vthere is no issue with Outlook I have use outloock since the Outlook xp edition and i have always been able to configure it. QED
That is spot on the only difference with a @blueyonder.co.uk account is the username which will be similar to ab123c4567 instead of the email address.

musicbravo
28-08-2009, 22:10
That is spot on the only difference with a @blueyonder.co.uk account is the username which will be similar to ab123c4567 instead of the email address.

fair play, wasn't 100% on that bit i am an ex ntl customer

Tech_Boy
28-08-2009, 22:20
but with the move to a Google based mail platform, VM are trying to move customers to the web portal rather than OE/Outlook/Winmail etc

musicbravo
28-08-2009, 22:58
but with the move to a Google based mail platform, VM are trying to move customers to the web portal rather than OE/Outlook/Winmail etc

seems unlikely as google mail also supports pop3. they are just out sourcing the service (one less thing to look after)

homealone
28-08-2009, 23:18
seems unlikely as google mail also supports pop3. they are just out sourcing the service (one less thing to look after)

It also supports IMAP, arguably the advantage of Outlook over Outlook Express ???

Personally I cannot understand why people don't use services such as googlemail & GMX, rather than the comparatively limited offerings from their ISP, if email is that important to them?

Tech_Boy
28-08-2009, 23:24

but the company will no longer be "pushing" the set up of a mail client, to lower the overall call length.

Peter_
29-08-2009, 06:21
fair play, wasn't 100% on that bit i am an ex ntl customer
I know the difference is slightly confusing and the @virginmedia.com addresses are different again to set up.

Onclejean
29-08-2009, 16:00
I guess you have picked up and earlier Virgin statement that Outlook was not supported because it was third party software?
(one Virgin Guru said that Virgin was the 1st party, I was the second party and any thing else connected to their website was third party and therefore not supported)
However, in real life Microsoft have introduced a policy with Windows 7 of only bundling a minimum of applications, in the hope that users will not install incompatible versions of the major components. However as Windows Live already works with Virgin Media there should be no problems in using Windows Live/Windows 7 with Virgin Media.
The underlying problem for Virgin Media users is that the company is is a conglomerate and has an Internet Gateway to four different ISP servers. The user can login to Virgin and then access its various products (TV, Broadband, Email etc...) and reach this page
https://my.virginmedia.com/dashboard/start
From there the user can go to email, the email gateway, and select the ISP
@virginmedia.com
@blueyonder.co.uk
@ntlworld.com
@virgin.net
After choosing the server, the configuration is not the same in each case and the user must take care not to choose a password which is different from the one used to sign in to the Virgin Media Home Page
I suggest that it is the existence of Virgin’s unusually complex access to email mail settings that makes Virgin Help’s refuse to go beyond advice on setting up Outlook Express. In particular Virgin Media email is not simple to configure for inexperienced users of Outlook because the latter offers several email protocols, not just Pop3.
I expect that as time goes on Virgin will sort this out and refrain from foolish comments like not supporting Outlook because it is third party software

Hugh
29-08-2009, 16:09
Where should VM draw the line - should they provide support for Flash, MS Office, COD:WAW, Avast Anti-virus, GameSpy?

All of the above are third party software, and if VM are expected to provide support for all major 3rd Party software products, they will have to hire hundreds, if not thousands of extra support staff, which will in turn increase our bills - all for someone else's software they do not get any revenue from.

Where's the sense in that?

BenMcr
29-08-2009, 16:11
The underlying problem for Virgin Media users is that the company is is a conglomerate and has an Internet Gateway to four different ISP servers.Which is being addressed by the e-mail unification project

homealone
29-08-2009, 16:32
I guess you have picked up and earlier Virgin statement that Outlook was not supported because it was third party software?
(one Virgin Guru said that Virgin was the 1st party, I was the second party and any thing else connected to their website was third party and therefore not supported)
However, in real life Microsoft have introduced a policy with Windows 7 of only bundling a minimum of applications, in the hope that users will not install incompatible versions of the major components. However as Windows Live already works with Virgin Media there should be no problems in using Windows Live/Windows 7 with Virgin Media.
The underlying problem for Virgin Media users is that the company is is a conglomerate and has an Internet Gateway to four different ISP servers. The user can login to Virgin and then access its various products (TV, Broadband, Email etc...) and reach this page
https://my.virginmedia.com/dashboard/start
From there the user can go to email, the email gateway, and select the ISP
@virginmedia.com
@blueyonder.co.uk
@ntlworld.com
@virgin.net
After choosing the server, the configuration is not the same in each case and the user must take care not to choose a password which is different from the one used to sign in to the Virgin Media Home Page
I suggest that it is the existence of Virgin’s unusually complex access to email mail settings that makes Virgin Help’s refuse to go beyond advice on setting up Outlook Express. In particular Virgin Media email is not simple to configure for inexperienced users of Outlook because the latter offers several email protocols, not just Pop3.
I expect that as time goes on Virgin will sort this out and refrain from foolish comments like not supporting Outlook because it is third party software

Lets just keep it simple then - Virgin Media do not support Outlook.

- the reason doesn't matter, the fact speaks for itself.

The interpretation of the reason given as 'foolish' is your own opinion & is not shared by everyone.

Jon T
29-08-2009, 18:02
@ Onclejean

You've also conveniently forgot, or not read, one of my posts that specifically said that I know lots of ex-telewest(now virgin) users who use outlook, have done for years and have never had any problems.

I also know many users that are ex-ntl(not as many as those on ex-telewest) that have used outlook for ages, again without problems.

Like i've also said before, if any of the plethora of email systems virgin adopted from NTL, Telewest etc were non standard, then you'd have more than users of MS outlook complaining.

I've got a Linksys router, which although it's badged that way is actually made by Cisco. Should virgin support my router as it's made by one of the biggest players in the world of networking. They don't and i'm happy with that. That's not to say my Linksys/Cisco rout won't work with Virgin, it does work, and very well. But if I get a problem with it, it isn't Virgin's problem. Exactly the same situation.

Would you care to tell us in what way outlook doesn't work, someone on here may know why in your case it doesn't work. I know you've mentioned multiple instances of it not working, but you've never told us exactly what doesn't work.

Stuart
29-08-2009, 19:56
Where should VM draw the line - should they provide support for Flash, MS Office, COD:WAW, Avast Anti-virus, GameSpy?

All of the above are third party software, and if VM are expected to provide support for all major 3rd Party software products, they will have to hire hundreds, if not thousands of extra support staff, which will in turn increase our bills - all for someone else's software they do not get any revenue from.

Where's the sense in that?

That's just it. They add support for Outlook. Where do they end? Pegasus? Eudora? Thunderbird? The Bat? Opera Mail? Or, any one of the 100s of other mail clients available on Windows? What about the Mac? What about Linux? FreeBSD? any Unix or Unix clone? What about phones/PDAs? The iPhone, any Android handset? Windows Mobile? Symbian (Series 40, 60, 90 or UIQ)? I don't know how many email clients there are, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were 1000s of email clients available on all those platforms I listed.

Unfortunately, while it would be nice for Virgin (or any ISP) to support every available email client, but as you note, it is not practical.

Onclejean
29-08-2009, 21:08
@ Onclejean

You've also conveniently forgot, or not read, one of my posts that specifically said that I know lots of ex-telewest(now virgin) users who use outlook, have done for years and have never had any problems.

I also know many users that are ex-ntl(not as many as those on ex-telewest) that have used outlook for ages, again without problems.

Like i've also said before, if any of the plethora of email systems virgin adopted from NTL, Telewest etc were non standard, then you'd have more than users of MS outlook complaining.

I've got a Linksys router, which although it's badged that way is actually made by Cisco. Should virgin support my router as it's made by one of the biggest players in the world of networking. They don't and i'm happy with that. That's not to say my Linksys/Cisco rout won't work with Virgin, it does work, and very well. But if I get a problem with it, it isn't Virgin's problem. Exactly the same situation.

Would you care to tell us in what way outlook doesn't work, someone on here may know why in your case it doesn't work. I know you've mentioned multiple instances of it not working, but you've never told us exactly what doesn't work.
:geez:
No need to get cross! It confuses the discussion. I did see your contribution but you must have missed my early contributions.
The short answer to your question is that many inexperienced users cannot configure Outlook as their email client using the latter's "new" account settings.
A newcomer was complaining that he could not use Outlook with VM who would not help him. I explained how to do it. And yes , yes, a lot of users like him do complain as shown by this thread which started a very long while ago.

I personally have been able to run Outlook with Blueyonder since the latter started years ago.

Jon T
29-08-2009, 21:29
Me, cross, nope :).

OK, I see the point your making. I don't agree though, like others have said, where do you draw the line?

My question as to what issues you had with Outlook comes from the fact that you made reference to the fact that you thought that Virgin were operating non standard mail services (POP3/SMTP) which i took to mean you(or someone you knew) was having more of a problem than getting the mailbox and sending/receiving settings right.

Stuart
29-08-2009, 21:30
Erm, how does a thread that , over the space of 1 year, has had 2 (or possibly 3) users who are having problems with Outlook, show that a lot of users are having problems?

Peter_
29-08-2009, 21:39
As I have said earlier Virgin do not support products that are not bundled with the operating systems regardless of how much you and others think they should be as this would entail extra training and relevant software to be installed on our systems which in turn would increase the cost of the service which by default makes it a non starter.

If you have to downloaded it, bought it, got it free with a magazine and want to install it on your system then Virgin will not support that product as it is a "THIRD PARTY PRODUCT" no ifs or buts.

You want to access Virgin email easily then use webmail, if you want to use an unsupported email client then find out how to use it and do not sulk when you call in and we say sorry its unsupported but we can help you install Outlook Express or Windows Mail.

Sir John Luke
29-08-2009, 22:16
Just to point out - the 'operating systems' are THIRD PARTY products.

Ben B
29-08-2009, 22:19

Enough with the technicalities! They are providing an internet connection which requires an operating system to be used. Virgin have chosen to support the operating system which the majority of their customers and in fact the majority of everyone use so that they can support as many customers as they can.

Peter_
29-08-2009, 22:28
I use Linux which is unsupported and also Windows 7 is unsupported as yet, but without a O/S you have no computer to be supported.

As I said above

If you have to downloaded it, bought it, got it free with a magazine and want to install it on your system then Virgin will not support that product as it is a "THIRD PARTY PRODUCT" no ifs or buts.

Sir John Luke
29-08-2009, 22:33
I agree that VM can only support a limited number of products, but it is a bit disingenuous to say they don't support 'third party' products when Windows itself is third party, as are all the users' computers (except the 'netbook offer').

Peter_
29-08-2009, 22:37
I agree that VM can only support a limited number of products, but it is a bit disingenuous to say they don't support 'third party' products when Windows itself is third party, as are all the users' computers (except the 'netbook offer').
Third party products that you put on afterwards which is what I have said throughout this thread, without an O/S you have no computer and the netbook uses XP.

LaineY
30-08-2009, 10:38

Just a pointer chief!... It still is Telewest and NO we didn't support outlook... we never have. The guys at technical support KNOW fine well that MS Outlook is basically a carbon copy of outlook express... do we want to help you set it up... yes we do... are we permitted to.. No.

Telewest set the support scope on this donkeys years ago.

as for the Richard comment.. NTL Telewest bought the VM name off Mr Branson.

So that company that you used to love and really miss is still that same company with a different name.

Sir John Luke
30-08-2009, 10:46
Third party products that you put on afterwards which is what I have said throughout this thread, without an O/S you have no computer and the netbook uses XP.

Be interesting to see what VM do about e-mail support when they start supporting Windows 7, then.

Just to clarify, I think it is perfectly understandable and acceptable that VM only support the most common OS and e-mail client. I just think it is a bit disingenuous to claim this is purely because they 'don't support third-part software'.

Peter_
30-08-2009, 10:56
Be interesting to see what VM do about e-mail support when they start supporting Windows 7, then.
It depends if the is anything included with the O/S and if it turns out to be Windows Live Mail thats already unsupported, but if it is up to choose what email client you install then the only support regards email support would be for Webmail and you would have to configure your POP3 client yourself, the same as I and others already do who use the likes of Thunderbird or Outlook.

BenMcr
30-08-2009, 11:41
Be interesting to see what VM do about e-mail support when they start supporting Windows 7, thenIt's part of the reason they are pushing Webmail rather than a specific e-mail client.

The move to the Google mail platform will only increase this shift.

---------- Post added at 11:41 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

It depends if the is anything included with the O/S and if it turns out to be Windows Live Mail thats already unsupported,There is no e-mail client supplied with Windows 7. The only 'official' Microsoft client for 7 is Windows Live Mail so it is likely to become supported. Just as Windows Mail is supported for Vista.

Especially as Microsoft themselves have shifted their focus towards Windows Live Mail

But Virgin might be forced to do basic support for programs like Thunderbird and Opera - especially with the browser ballot screen that is likely to be in W7

Onclejean
30-08-2009, 15:48
With regard to John T's last post, I understand his position but personally conclude that Virgin are wrong about the way they respond to customers who want to use Outlook as the email client. Outlook is the email client for about half the INTERNET users according to a July 2009 survey (this includes versions back to Outlook for Dos). On the other hand Virgin is the preferred ISP of only a minority of users according to a similar 2009 survey around the same date. Virgin could at least inform its customers that if they first setup email using Outlook Express then they can easily copy the settings into Outlook. It is childish to respond that "Outlook is third party software and not supported". This seems a different class of problem to John T's example of router configuration, I guess the majority of users do not need to know anything about that, though the growth wireless networks is pushing the knowledge forward.

My conclusion is that for a long time cable ISP's were principally concerned with the supply of TV media and did not bother much about internet customers, though competition from the mobile sector may be changing this.

In the end a matter of choice in your ISP, I suppose. if you are not a TV client.

Peter_
30-08-2009, 15:55
But Virgin might be forced to do basic support for programs like Thunderbird and Opera - especially with the browser ballot screen that is likely to be in W7
Opera is a browser not a mail client and I think Firefox would be supported well before that gets supported.:D

moaningmags
30-08-2009, 15:56
If Virgin start to support Microsoft Outlook people will complain that Thunderbird or Incredimail isn't supported.
Do we then support them all, pick and choose or stick with what's installed with your OS?

Stuart
30-08-2009, 15:59

Just to clarify, I think it is perfectly understandable and acceptable that VM only support the most common OS and e-mail client. I just think it is a bit disingenuous to claim this is purely because they 'don't support third-part software'.

I suspect they'll just point people to the "use Windows Live" option in 7, which downloads Windows Mail.

With regard to John T's last post, I understand his position but personally conclude that Virgin are wrong about the way they respond to customers who want to use Outlook as the email client. Outlook is the email client for about half the INTERNET users according to a July 2009 survey (this includes versions back to Outlook for Dos). On the other hand Virgin is the preferred ISP of only a minority of users according to a similar 2009 survey around the same date. Virgin could at least inform its customers that if they first setup email using Outlook Express then they can easily copy the settings into Outlook. It is childish to respond that "Outlook is third party software and not supported". This seems a different class of problem to John T's example of router configuration, I guess the majority of users do not need to know anything about that, though the growth wireless networks is pushing the knowledge forward.

My conclusion is that for a long time cable ISP's were principally concerned with the supply of TV media and did not bother much about internet customers, though competition from the mobile sector may be changing this.

In the end a matter of choice in your ISP, I suppose. if you are not a TV client.

Have you a link to this survey? Last I checked, Virgin were one of the largest (if not 2nd Largest) ISPs in the country. You don't get in that position by being the preferred ISP of a minority.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

Opera is a browser not a mail client and I think Firefox would be supported well before that gets supported.:D

Opera has a very capable Mail client built in.

Peter_
30-08-2009, 16:02
If Virgin start to support Microsoft Outlook people will complain that Thunderbird or Incredimail isn't supported.
Do we then support them all, pick and choose or stick with what's installed with your OS?
If we had to support every mail client used by customers then we would be spending to much time on every email call just googling for the setup instructions, which we all know is not going to happen.:D

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Opera has a very capable Mail client built in.
I am aware of that but as a browser Firefox is more likely to be supported before Opera.

BenMcr
30-08-2009, 16:42
We are taking about e-mail here ;)

I said Thunderbird and Opera as they the only non-Microsoft programs that I can think of that will be likely be part of the browser ballot and include e-mail options (though I am aware Thunderbird is seperate to Firefox)

Neither Safari or Chrome have one included

Virgin will have a difficult justifying not covering basic support for all those in the ballot screen

dev
30-08-2009, 16:43

Opera is more of an internet suite than a browser ;)

As for the topic, VM shouldn't really support any application imo. The customer picks the e-mail client so it's up to the customer to know how to use it, it is of course up to VM to provide things like POP3 / SMTP settings to the customer but not up to VM to tell the customer where to put them.

Peter_
30-08-2009, 16:50
Virgin will have a difficult justifying not covering basic support for all those in the ballot screen

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

I think that has been answered below

As for the topic, VM shouldn't really support any application imo. The customer picks the e-mail client so it's up to the customer to know how to use it, it is of course up to VM to provide things like POP3 / SMTP settings to the customer but not up to VM to tell the customer where to put them.

For Virgin to support all POP3 clients the would have to be training and backup and the cost would outweigh the benefits of such support, I think Dev says it all we provide the details required as at present and you set up your own email client.

moaningmags
30-08-2009, 17:17
For virgin to provide training for all available e-mail clients and security software we're asked to configure on a daily basis we'd be looking at losing the freephone number for tech and making it chargeable again and no customer wants a return to that never mind us in technical support.

Peter_
30-08-2009, 17:26
For virgin to provide training for all available e-mail clients and security software we're asked to configure on a daily basis we'd be looking at losing the freephone number for tech and making it chargeable again and no customer wants a return to that never mind us in technical support.
Exactly who out there wants to go back to 25ppm as of 14 months ago just so we can help you set up your email, which as it is not be a fault the would be no refunding of the call charges, so do you want to pay £5 for me and Mags and the rest of our colleagues to help you set up your product?.

I thought not!!

Jon T
30-08-2009, 17:52
@ Onclejean

My "position" is that of an IT Technician with just under 10 years experience in everything from domestic computing to working at a multi-site large local authority and it's partner housing association.

Half of the internet uses outlook, source please. A big part of business use may be centred around Microsoft Outlook/Exchange, but there's a good percentage of businesses that are also based on other email/group ware applications such an Lotus Notes/Domino.

However, we aren't talking about businesses........in a residential environment most people use Outlook, err I think not, Outlook Express maybe, but not full Outlook.

Regarding my router "argument/angle", sorry, same thing. Your argument was that Outlook was such an important program to support, that virgin should support it. Well, in this day and age of every home having a multitude of devices that are capable of accessing the internet, don't you think Virgin should support all popular router types, they are of immense importance, you could argue that they are immeasurably more important that an email client, as without them you haven't got a connection to the device to receive or send email.

Also, i have to ask myself, has this thread run it's course, the forum is not owned/run/hosted by Virgin Media, they aren't going to alter their support offerings for one(maybe a couple) of people posting on an independent forum. We seem to just be going round in circles.

Brighteyes
21-03-2010, 14:30
I look and type questions in Google and I came upon this thread. It wasn't answered and I spent 2 hours looking for help. Found it. To get successful outlook express 6 mail with Netgear modems follow the instructions on the step by step guide on the below virgin web page. Don't forget to delete all previous online accounts in servers before you start or it will go to previous servers and it won't work. It's still not explained in their instructions and I have just got a Netgear adsl2 D0834G v5 router in March 2010 !!!

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=37917

ThunderPants73
22-03-2010, 13:33
I used Outlook on my XP machine and had no issues with my ntl email account, then along came Windows 7 and bye bye.

People do realise that Outlook and Outlook Express are different, don't they?

Kellargh
23-03-2010, 11:17
I'm seriously facepalming hard on this thread. Double facepalming actually.

Brighteyes
23-03-2010, 11:47
It's all right for you geeks who work in the media and know a bit about computers, but us numpties find these things difficult when we have been used to a landline modem. It's also expensive when virgin help is on a prime charging number. Even then I have got and you might get a numpty working for Virgin. It wasn't in the Netgear instruction book or cd either on changing settings for email.

Kellargh
23-03-2010, 11:56
It's also expensive when virgin help is on a prime charging number.

Sorry...what?

I don't know how to use my fridge, maybe I should call the electrician?

BenMcr
23-03-2010, 11:57
It's also expensive when virgin help is on a prime charging number
Virgin tech support for in scope services and programs is free on 151 when you have a Virgin landline

pip08456
23-03-2010, 12:35
It's all right for you geeks who work in the media and know a bit about computers, but us numpties find these things difficult when we have been used to a landline modem. It's also expensive when virgin help is on a prime charging number. Even then I have got and you might get a numpty working for Virgin. It wasn't in the Netgear instruction book or cd either on changing settings for email.

It's not just "Us Geeks" who know about Google. It's the numptys who still insist on using Bing!:angel:

BTW I don't work in the industry, 99% of what I've learnt has been found through Google/forums etc. I don't expect to be nanneyed all the time.(Thinks-must google my spelling:D)

verbascum
14-08-2010, 05:26
What I liked about Outlook was that your emails got downloaded so you could work on them offline. What I hated was that I never could back it up - all my contacts, calendar and emails could have been lost. And you couldn't copy an email message to a doc including sender date etc. I ended up forwarding them to myself.
Things got worse with a new laptop - nobody warned me about vista. Then VM went over to google platform, Outlook email no longer worked and I had to get my Blueyonder mail via webmail. Everything else went wrong, messages like "Firefox can't find Google" "Your MS Office is illegal" etc. slowdowns, gibberish typing (cursor slipping into line above), etc. So I finally decided to "get a Mac".
It's wonderful, EXCEPT for emails: hours and hours of phone calls with well-meaning VM and Mac techies, resetting each others' settings, even logging on to my computer, resulted in a complete mess, with some Blueyonder emails but not all arriving in Mac mail. Apple shop people puzzled. Then a young genius decided I should do IMAP and all my emails flooded in, complete with gmail-labels. But now I can't find them and I get nothing into Mac mail and outgoing ones are blocked. Had to go back to VM webmail, which frequently says oops can't get back to inbox. Why can't they talk to each other?