PDA

View Full Version : extra box

kevings
22-07-2008, 16:48
hi i am new to this forum need to ask a question so here goes
i have vm tv/internet in my house the tv is down stairs and the internet upstairs both run off seperate wall connections what i want to ask is can i put a splitter on the internet connection and then connect another tv box and have tv/internet upstairs if so what type of splitter do i need and will the tv box need to be set up by vm

if this topic has allready been posted my apoligy as i said i am new to this forum
many thanks kevin :erm:

MovedGoalPosts
22-07-2008, 16:53
If you are subscribing to a new TV STB (Set Top Box), additional to the existing box, the new STB will normally receive the same package of channels as your exisiting box.

Installation can sometimes be a self install process whereby you are sent the necessary extra leads and splitter components along with the STB itself. That can work fine especially if your proposed location is near to a current cabled point in your house. Occasionally though the signal might be out of tolerance so you still have to call in an engineer.

Engineer installs regularly take place in which case they would undertake allthe wiring adapations necesary to the cable services.

BenMcr
22-07-2008, 16:55
Self Install is only allowed for when TV services are being first installed.

All additional STBs have to be done via a Tech Install (£30 fee)

kevings
22-07-2008, 16:58
do i need to subscibe to a second box or can i do it myself:confused:

MovedGoalPosts
22-07-2008, 17:00
You cannot have a STB legally attached to your cable service without it being part of your subscription. Thus it can only be provided direct via Virgin Media.

There may be many dodgy places that seem to offer STBs, but they won't be legal, and this forum won't go down the route of discussing such abuse of service.