PDA

View Full Version : Network cable unpluged/Connection droping

Kratios
20-07-2008, 19:16
Hello there, my first post and its quite a grim one.

I recent changed from the virgin media 2mb to the 20mb connection. Since doing so when ever using any torrent program my connection will drop for a few seconds with the "network cable unplugged error" (when it is not, at least as far as I can tell) then rinse and repeat.

Now I am hoping its a problem with my modem, still running Ambit/ntl:home 120 and have ordered a replacement. I'm just concerned that it may be something more sinister, I connect directly from my onboard nvidia nforce 650i sli networking controller to my modem and if its a problem with that then my whole motherboard is screwed.

I haven't actually gotten to replacing the cable its self yet but I will do shortly.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Thanks in advance

Raistlin
20-07-2008, 19:23
TBH it sounds like you've either just got a dodgy cable, or your Modem just can't cope with the traffic you're trying to put through it.

I think you need to replace the cable to start with (as you've said) and then try the new modem when you get it.

Something else you could try doing is to see if there are any more up to date drivers available for your networking controller, you might find that the newer drivers perform better at the higher traffic levels.

If neither of those works then there may be something more serious wrong.

If it is your network controller then it's not the end of the world. You won't need to get a new motherboard, you could just buy a new Ethernet card and install it into one of the motherboard's spare slots, then just disable the onboard one and you're away.

At the moment though we're probably jumping ahead a bit, try the cable/modem/drivers and let us know how you get on :tu:

Kratios
20-07-2008, 19:29
I updated all my drivers so I can rule that one out, but yeah will replace the cable and modem and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

Raistlin
20-07-2008, 19:32
No worries, and a belated :welcome: :D

sstainer
20-07-2008, 21:15
i'd say its the modem i hear 120's not able to deal with the 20mb service

Raistlin
20-07-2008, 21:16
I thought I'd read something similar, hopefully the replacement that the OP has on order should help matters :tu:

whydoIneedatech
20-07-2008, 21:41
That modem is not capable of 20Mb, the link below says 10Mb but even that would be pushing it.

He should receive a nice shiny black Ambit 256 and his problems should be over.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

stepone
20-07-2008, 21:54
Also make sure you haven't installed the nvidia armour firewall which comes with the drivers for the 650i (I have an asus p5ne sli 650i mobo) as this plays havok with some torrent programs causing memory leaks, lockups & other probs (particularly with utorrent).

However, i'd say you most likely have a problem with your modem (but it never hurts to be sure).