PDA

View Full Version : Installing a cable modem

Johnboy07
20-07-2008, 12:40
Hi all , basically i have a 360 that gets to the MTU test on xbox live and fails. So i found out on here that i need a stand alone cable modem from v media. I ordered one and an engineer to fit it , which they told me would be £30 plus an extra £ 15 on a saturday, so i cancelled the engineer part lol and asked them to just send me one out with all the kit. So basically how do you install your cable modem we have an outside green box which is on the outside wall but right next to the tv and set top box corner of the house. Any advice or guides? My uncle is pretty handy with computers so i thought id ask him but while im online any help or website guides would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks ;)

Jelly Bean
20-07-2008, 12:44
Hi,you know the box inside your house?White one were your TV digital box is connected?Thats if you have VM TV.If you have VM TV then the spare port on side of box is for BB.

Locate this box in your living room.

White box 2 side connections?Top one I think is BB and bottom is TV.I maybe be wrong on wich is wich.You will need the white cable to connect the modem.

This is VM modem not wireless router?

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 12:54
There should be instructions with the modem. Then once you've installed it yourself you just need to call the quickstart activation team to get the service working :tu:

Did you already have internet throught the tv set top box or did you not have VM broadband at all?

Jelly Bean
20-07-2008, 12:58
Then once you've installed it yourself you just need to call the quickstart activation team to get the service working

Thankyou Haggis that would of been my next post.

:)

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 13:05
Thankyou Haggis that would of been my next post.

;););)

Johnboy07
20-07-2008, 13:18
Cheers guys yes i found the white box and it does look like theres another port there for a cable. And yes i already have tv, broadband, and phone with vm. Sounds pretty easy glad i havnt payed the 30 quid or the 15 extra as were only home on weekends lol. They never mentioned that in the emails. !

Jelly Bean
20-07-2008, 13:19
Thats great.You just need the white cable and secure it well.

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 13:20
Hmm if you already have broadband through the digi set top box then a technician should have been arranged free of charge...

Johnboy07
20-07-2008, 13:25
Thats what annoyed me so much , because everything iv read said it was free of charge, we even had a guy out to do a box swap last week and he said that it should be free. Its actually in my mums name and it was her on the phone so i couldnt get her to tell them we were told it was free cos shes to soft. Nevermind even if it wasnt free they told us the next free date was august the 5th! and if its that easy i dont want to wait that long cheers

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 13:31
lol yea there can be a wait dependant on technician availability...

if you get any problems from the posted modem, demand a free tech! If they won't arrange it you can PM me your details (if you want) and i'll sort it :)

Johnboy07
20-07-2008, 13:38
Cheers mate thats great thanks for the advice.

Cobbydaler
20-07-2008, 13:41
Thats great.You just need the white cable and secure it well.

But use the plastic spanner (which should come with the kit) to avoid overtightening the connections... ;)

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 13:45

No probs :tu:

---------- Post added at 13:45 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

But use the plastic spanner (which should come with the kit) to avoid overtightening the connections... ;)

Definately...im still concerned as to what kit they've sent him as he already has internet with us...he may just receive the modem/AC which would give him nothing to work with!

whydoIneedatech
20-07-2008, 15:32

Call the number below when you have connected the modem up as per the instructions.

The number to ring for Quickstart is 0800 953 9500.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

I'm still concerned as to what kit they've sent him as he already has internet with us...he may just receive the modem/AC which would give him nothing to work with!

If he only receives a Modem and not a Install kit then he will have to speak to Quickstart anyway, who may then send a Tech out.

Grover
20-07-2008, 16:20
This pretty much the situation I found myself in. Wanted to change internet access from stb to sacm in anticipation of speed upgrade (this month). Didn't fancy paying for an engineer so just asked for the self install option.

Modem turns up promptly but the only option I've got to connect it is the cable from white box to the stb. Connecting that cable to modem has given me internet access, but no tv of course.
No great loss really - only watched anything on the stb maybe twice in the last year.

Activation was not the two minute process everyone's mentioned either. Took three calls over the evening to get things going.

Third rep I spoke to about the activation was the first to understand the situation re stb to sacm change and managed to put me through to someone who could help.

Upshot of this is I've now got an engineer visit arranged (for free) to connect things properly.

VM shouldn't offer a self install option if it's not possible for the customer to do. Though as a long time bb customer I'd be annoyed at having to pay for an engineer visit just to get the supposed free upgrade to service.

Unless I'm missing the obvious and I should've just bought some cable and connected to the 'FM' port on the white box ?.

Jelly Bean
20-07-2008, 16:35
There are two ports on the white box on wall in living room?

Then TV connects to one and the modem connects to the other.Both require there own cable?

homealone
20-07-2008, 16:50
Unless I'm missing the obvious and I should've just bought some cable and connected to the 'FM' port on the white box ?.

:welcome:

You should have been provided with a splitter & an extra cables in order to connect the modem & the stb to the same cable from the white box.

Grover
20-07-2008, 17:45
:welcome:

You should have been provided with a splitter & an extra cables in order to connect the modem & the stb to the same cable from the white box.

That's what I originally thought would come. So if an engie is coming out to fit what could be put in an envelope, then I'm really glad I'm not paying for the visit.

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 18:09
You didn't miss anything!

A technician should be sent for this free of charge for this anyway. Quickstart modems are usually only sent out by the CMC/FMC to replace faulty/old modems.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

That's what I originally thought would come. So if an engie is coming out to fit what could be put in an envelope, then I'm really glad I'm not paying for the visit.

thats pretty much whats going to happen...in some instances the dtv stb needs replacing also...

whydoIneedatech
20-07-2008, 19:26
You didn't miss anything!

A technician should be sent for this free of charge for this anyway. Quickstart modems are usually only sent out by the CMC/FMC to replace faulty/old modems.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

thats pretty much whats going to happen...in some instances the dtv stb needs replacing also...

When did CMC/FMC start sending out replacement modems for faults? only TSC do that and you lot always send the customer through if the is a fault anyway.:D

chuzzlemonkey
21-07-2008, 12:42
When did CMC/FMC start sending out replacement modems for faults? only TSC do that and you lot always send the customer through if the is a fault anyway.:D

Sorry...we calls TSC faults in customer care because they deal with faults...

And CMC always order them! lol