PDA

View Full Version : Boundless incompetence

ex-VM customer
18-07-2008, 09:55
Does VM's incompetence know no bounds? Having been with VM/BY/Telewest/United Artists for many a yonk I finally got hacked off with them enough to leave for BT/BeThere. My last day of internet provision was last Thursday. On Saturday email would not authorise, but the cable modem was still working. Today, a whole week after my service finished, I can still connect to the VM news servers from BeThere using my old VM identity. Oh! the fun I could have (but won't). I have not tried the CM (it's switched off), but I wouldn't be surprised if it still worked.

whydoIneedatech
18-07-2008, 10:00
Does VM's incompetence know no bounds? Having been with VM/BY/Telewest/United Artists for many a yonk I finally got hacked off with them enough to leave for BT/BeThere. My last day of internet provision was last Thursday. On Saturday email would not authorise, but the cable modem was still working. Today, a whole week after my service finished, I can still connect to the VM news servers from BeThere using my old VM identity. Oh! the fun I could have (but won't). I have not tried the CM (it's switched off), but I wouldn't be surprised if it still worked.

If it bothers you that that much ring up and tell them to nuke your email account.

ex-VM customer
18-07-2008, 10:05
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it ought to bother them. I could spread my old VM credentials around for anyone to use their news servers since I am no longer under any contractual obligation to keep them to myself. I'm not going to waste my time and money phoning them up to give them a clue.

alt3rn1ty
18-07-2008, 10:15
Lol I have just left BT Broadband and have the same issue with them. Taking the same attitude to it really although I have tried once giving them my details and what needs to be done, no joy so far I can still log on, why should we bother helping to clean up after their own mess when they cant be bothered to respond to us.

Zhadnost
18-07-2008, 11:08
I've seen this with every ISP account I've ever known cancelled (so not VM).

This always used to be the case with BT dialup accounts too.

Stuart
18-07-2008, 11:36
It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it ought to bother them. I could spread my old VM credentials around for anyone to use their news servers since I am no longer under any contractual obligation to keep them to myself. I'm not going to waste my time and money phoning them up to give them a clue.

Bearing in mind the state of VM's news servers, that might be a good way to lose friends..

Jelly
19-07-2008, 21:09
So, you're still able to access the VM News Servers from a non-VM connection?

Rik
19-07-2008, 21:32
So, you're still able to access the VM News Servers from a non-VM connection?

No that wouldnt work, VM only.

ex-VM customer
19-07-2008, 21:56

Yes, it works perfectly well. All you have to do, at least with OE, is to check the "this server requires me to log on" box and enter your (old) username and password.

Fatec
19-07-2008, 22:11

I can still access VM newsgroups....

seanyseansean
20-07-2008, 10:35
I was one of the first people in the country to get ADSL on the beta trial. Left after a year to another ISP. My @btinternet.com email address was forwarded to my own domain.

To this date the vast majority of spam I get is that forwarded from the btinternet domain. I can't login to delete it, but they still forward it. That's, like, 5 years ago?

I don't think there's an ISP anywhere that has properly integrated account management.

Jelly
20-07-2008, 16:06
Do binary downloads work? :3