PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance calls

Central
17-07-2008, 20:57
For the past week I have been getting Nuisance calls. Each time its unavailable. I pick it up as soon as I do the line goes dead.

It has happened 5 times today so far. First one was at 09:02 and the last one so far is 19:43.

I have rang my phone provider who are not willing to help me at all. They told me there is nothing they can do. The number is TPS registered.

I am getting at my wits end now.

Please any advice on what to do?

Thanks

Cobbydaler
17-07-2008, 21:02
For the past week I have been getting Nuisance calls. Each time its unavailable. I pick it up as soon as I do the line goes dead.

It has happened 5 times today so far. First one was at 09:02 and the last one so far is 19:43.

I have rang my phone provider who are not willing to help me at all. They told me there is nothing they can do. The number is TPS registered.

Thanks

Could be an autodialler (http://www.zyra.org.uk/autodial.htm) used by a company that flagrantly ignoring the TPS list...

Jelly Bean
17-07-2008, 21:05
Hello,who actualy owns the phone line?Was it originaly BT?But your actual phone providor is 02?

If this is the case or BT own the line and you pay another company for there service of phone calls then you have a problem.BT will take no responsibility if you are not paying for there service.

However on reciving this type of call you can make sure your number is witheld on the part of your phone providor and that it is removed from the phone book.Although it will remain in the local phone book untill the new one is issued.

Most service providors of phone numbers usaly give you one free of charge change of phone number.

The other option is call the police and they can help you out.

Or yes this could be an autodialler.Or a friend or enemy playing games with you.

Maggy
17-07-2008, 21:05

Thanks

Answer phone.After a while they get the message and move on.

Jelly Bean
17-07-2008, 21:08
Or do as I do on some occassions laugh and put fone down.

Central
17-07-2008, 21:15
Hello,who actualy owns the phone line?Was it originaly BT?But your actual phone providor is 02?

If this is the case or BT own the line and you pay another company for there service of phone calls then you have a problem.BT will take no responsibility if you are not paying for there service.

However on reciving this type of call you can make sure your number is witheld on the part of your phone providor and that it is removed from the phone book.Although it will remain in the local phone book untill the new one is issued.

Most service providors of phone numbers usaly give you one free of charge change of phone number.

The other option is call the police and they can help you out.

Or yes this could be an autodialler.Or a friend or enemy playing games with you.

My provider is Sky. I pay Sky my line rental. It has just happened again to. So 6 times now

Jelly Bean
17-07-2008, 21:20
Yes you pay sky for the line rental but BT actualy owns the line.

Have you tried dialing 1471 after each call?If the person does not withold there number you maybe lucky to get there number then give it to police.There is no need for police to call to your home just explain to them and give them the number over the fone.

Keep doing 1471 after each call to see if you can get the number.

Are you sure this is not someone with a mobile and no credit hopefull you will ring them back and be charged a fortune in doing so?

If this fails then maybe ask Sky for a free number change and be carefull who you give your number to in the future.

Also dialing out from your fone,if your number is not auto witheld you can put 141 infront of the number you are about to dial.This should withold your number from people you are unsure of.

Central
17-07-2008, 21:25
The number is coming up unavailable. I have caller ID.

Jelly Bean
17-07-2008, 21:27
Ok,darn.

Then you need to ring Sky and explain this occurance.

Or ignore fone for this evening and they may just stop doing this?

Or final option chnage fone numbers or police job.

Maggy
17-07-2008, 21:28
Do you have an answer phone?If you do use it to screen your calls.Eventually it will stop.;)

Central
17-07-2008, 21:30
Do you have an answer phone?If you do use it to screen your calls.Eventually it will stop.;)

Only the 1571 one. So it will not take the call straight away. The calls are waking my son when he is trying to sleep.

Jelly Bean
17-07-2008, 21:30
Maggy I agree with you it may just stop.Hopefully.

Is there an option to block/ban last caller?

Central
17-07-2008, 21:31
Ok,darn.

Then you need to ring Sky and explain this occurance.

Or ignore fone for this evening and they may just stop doing this?

Or final option chnage fone numbers or police job.

Its happening all day not just the evenings. And I dont want to change numbers as it will mess up my broadband.

webcrawler2050
17-07-2008, 21:44
Do you think it would be simpler just to get a new number? You can ask your provider to do that but I am not sure of the implications of your broadband. However, have you thought about giving TPS a call maybe?

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contact/

Tel 020 7291 3320
Fax 020 7323 4226
Email tps@dma.org.uk
Web www.tpsonline.org.uk

They may be able to do something, its worth a shot I guess. Especially with a little one in the house.. that would just do my nut in

Edit: Forgot to say, Ask SKY to turn on the system that doesn't allow anoymouse numbers to call you. That will put an end to it! :D

WHISTLED
17-07-2008, 21:55
Once day people will read the thread - Its not even a long one.

Sounds like a dialer mate - Not a lot you can do, I dont even have my phone plugged in at home. Pointess for me.

Anon call block is only option - It wont be free

A number change probably wont be either but wont mess up BBAND

Central
17-07-2008, 22:19
I do have the anonymous caller on. But because the number is not being withheld its unavailable then it still gets through.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

One thing I have started to do is keep a log of the calls. I log the time, date, If I answered, What happened if i did answer and any number left

Central
19-07-2008, 18:07
Found out it was Capital One as I am 2 payments behind. I finally spoke to someone today. She wanted me to verify my security details which I refused as I never do when a company rings me. I don't know its them especially since its unavailable.

I told her I was not happy and making a complaint. She said Whatever and put the phone down on me.

Currently on hold now to make a complaint.

Jelly Bean
19-07-2008, 18:13
Central good for you.I would complain to.Do not let them bamboozle you.

How dare they ring over and over again.That is not a good company policy considering you answered that phone each time.Why did they not speak when you picked up?

Central
19-07-2008, 18:18
Typical. When I ring up to speak to a manager I cant be transferred due to a technical problem

Jelly Bean
19-07-2008, 18:35
If you ask me that is there excuse,please do not give up on this complaint.

Cobbydaler
19-07-2008, 18:39
Central good for you.I would complain to.Do not let them bamboozle you.

How dare they ring over and over again.That is not a good company policy considering you answered that phone each time.Why did they not speak when you picked up?

Because it will be an autodialler that dials many numbers at once & drops those remaining when there are no longer any customer reps available to answer.

Jelly Bean
19-07-2008, 18:51
Kevin T they should still appoligies for there problem.Auto dialler or not this member did not asked to have this problem.

Cobbydaler
19-07-2008, 18:57
Kevin T they should still appoligies for there problem.Auto dialler or not this member did not asked to have this problem.

I agree, autodiallers are evil. I was just answering your question as to why nobody answered when Central picked the phone up...

Jelly Bean
19-07-2008, 19:03
Yes I know Kevin T.Its ok I understood.

Evil they are totaly not needed.

WHISTLED
19-07-2008, 20:52
Auto dialler or not this member did not asked to have this problem They are 2 payments behind so they did really - Diallers are an efficient way of mass outbound calling. Not great when its sales but when its recovery I think its more acceptable.

Evil they are totaly not needed. Evil? They are contacting customers not gassing them

Maggy
19-07-2008, 22:32
They are 2 payments behind so they did really - Diallers are an efficient way of mass outbound calling. Not great when its sales but when its recovery I think its more acceptable.

Evil? They are contacting customers not gassing them

Well I for one could do without it...I'm reliant on my phone to get supply teaching work and I do not need to be answering the phone only to find there is no one there..6 times in one day yesterday.In the end I have to use the answer phone which I could do without as sometimes time is of the essence as I don't want them giving up and moving on to the next teacher on the list because I haven't answered straight away.:rolleyes:

So I consider them evil.Especially when some woman on her own gets the silent treatment several times a day.

Jelly Bean
19-07-2008, 22:38
I agree Maggy J it can pritty scairy.Plus when you have children and the phone constantly rings and they maybe in bed.

If there is a bug in there dialler then it there fault.

Mad Mick
19-07-2008, 23:16
Nothing yuou can do about this other than some of the suggestions here. I have signed up to TPS etc.

Incidentally, does anyone know why there is an option to block your number to caller display / 1471? Surely if someone dials my number - even accidentally, I have a right to know where it's coming from?. It could stop all the nuisance calls. It seems a bit reversed logic to me.

dilli-theclaw
19-07-2008, 23:27
I've been getting several of these calls each day for the past couple of weeks. All I can say is I'm glad I'm moving and won't be taking my number with me.

djstevie
19-07-2008, 23:37
Im getting loads of these calls despite only having the line from virgin for 3 months and being VERY selective about who has my number. I am also registered with TPS yet it doesnt seem to make a blind bit of difference.

I know its one before i answer it as it comes up as "out of area" on my caller display. Had about 8 of them in the last 2 days and only one bothered to speak , saying to my gf who answered the call, that i had won an alarm clock....wow!

chuzzlemonkey
20-07-2008, 01:08
The number is coming up unavailable. I have caller ID.

Register for silent call guard...its free!

http://www.ukdatait.co.uk/cgi-bin/sgAddNumber.cgi

or

08704443969 - online is quicker though.

WHISTLED
20-07-2008, 10:22
TPS is a service the business's subscribe to, most companies dont especially if they do cold calling - Waste of time in my view (you can see the list of companies on their site)

Same as above

JohnHorb
20-07-2008, 10:41
Not quite, UK companies are legally obliged to honour TPS opt-outs. The problem is non-UK companies. Silent Call Guard, however, looks to be something companies DO have to subscribe to.

"It is a legal requirement that all organisations (including charities, voluntary organisations and political parties) do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS unless they have your consent to do so."

WHISTLED
20-07-2008, 11:21
I stand corrected - My understanding is/was that it is unlawful to call numbers registered on the TPS only because its considered a centralised opt out system under this (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20032426.htm). Basically a simplified way of letting individual companies know you dont want their calls without having to tell them all.

I thought that there is no legal obligation for companies to subscribe to TPS and therefore receive the data they hold?

Still seems pointless - We all still get these calls and The maximum penalty is currently £5,000. However, there have been no prosecutions undertaken as the legislation does not allow for prosecution.

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-07-2008, 12:10
I also remember reading somwhere that OFCOM have rules in the usage of auto diallers and the amount of "silent calls". I think there is some sort of set percentage that the company is allowed to have and if they breach it enforcement action can be taken.

Mad Mick
21-07-2008, 17:56
This is almost making a market for the demise of the landline in favour of mobiles. I know they can get to mobiles too but there doesn't seem to be so many - certainly not in my experience.
I have a colleague who doesn't even have a landline and he said in all the years he's had a mobile he's never been targeted.
Anyone else found this?

WHISTLED
21-07-2008, 19:55
I have aland line but dont have a phone plugged into it and the only calls i get on my mobile are from othyer mobile companies - I get more on my work mobile than my personal

Maggy
21-07-2008, 20:37
Well now my nuisance calls have resolved into one energy supplier after another trying to get my custom.:rolleyes:

piggy
25-07-2008, 16:39
They are 2 payments behind so they did really - Diallers are an efficient way of mass outbound calling. Not great when its sales but when its recovery I think its more acceptable.

Evil? They are contacting customers not gassing them

i must agree when chasing debts there is no argument ......if you want them to stop you could always pay.

dilli-theclaw
25-07-2008, 16:46
i must agree when chasing debts there is no argument ......if you want them to stop you could always pay.Because it's always as simple as that isn't it?

WHISTLED
26-07-2008, 00:10
Because it's always as simple as that isn't it? Well it is really isnt it - I live within my means, always did even when I was on half my salary a few years ago. Everyone struggles occasionally with bills, especially now, so not a dig at the OP but credit is credit, its a choice we make to take it.

Assume as 2 payments behind this wasnt mutually agreed in advace so any creditor would want to contact him.

dragon
26-07-2008, 01:37
Well it is really isnt it - I live within my means, always did even when I was on half my salary a few years ago. Everyone struggles occasionally with bills, especially now, so not a dig at the OP but credit is credit, its a choice we make to take it.

Assume as 2 payments behind this wasnt mutually agreed in advace so any creditor would want to contact him.

Which is fair enough providing they actually make sure that when they call and He anwsers they actually have someone available to talk to him.

Also I agree with the OP about personal detials, I did the same thing with o2 when they called me to welcome me after joining them, wasn't expecting the call so didn't give over any details simply asked them to make a note they had called and that i'd ring the normall c/s number.

dilli-theclaw
26-07-2008, 02:20
Well it is really isnt it - I live within my means, always did even when I was on half my salary a few years ago. Everyone struggles occasionally with bills, especially now, so not a dig at the OP but credit is credit, its a choice we make to take it.

So when for example despite having payment protection on what I did have credit on I became disabled and unable to work and then found out the protection was useless that would me all my fault and a good enough reason for thar people to make thee calls to me day and night?

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

The thing that made completely ott is the forty odd calls a week from various people where the phone just goes dead as there is obviously no agent on the other end.

In the end, the only the reason the calls stopped was because the CAB got involved.

So no it's not always that simple.

eth01
26-07-2008, 19:31
So when for example despite having payment protection on what I did have credit on I became disabled and unable to work and then found out the protection was useless that would me all my fault and a good enough reason for thar people to make thee calls to me day and night?

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 ----------

The thing that made completely ott is the forty odd calls a week from various people where the phone just goes dead as there is obviously no agent on the other end.

In the end, the only the reason the calls stopped was because the CAB got involved.

So no it's not always that simple.

:hugs:

cheer up!

WHISTLED
26-07-2008, 20:04
Which is fair enough providing they actually make sure that when they call and He anwsers they actually have someone available to talk to him. Yep agree 100% but the reverse happens obviously, when the customer isnt available.

So when for example despite having payment protection on what I did have credit on I became disabled and unable to work and then found out the protection was useless that would me all my fault Didnt say it was anyones fault, said that taking credit is a choice we make its not forced upon us.. There wouldn't be any credit offered if the banks didnt collect would there.

dilli-theclaw
26-07-2008, 21:38
I notice all you did was fail to respond to my point. which is it's not always that simple. But that's fine as I have come to expecrt little more.

Anyway it is, as always, just my 2p worth.

WHISTLED
26-07-2008, 23:22
Sorry I thought I had by saying you didnt have to have credit in the first place.. So on those terms it can be that simple.

Things do go wrong when people have credit and its happening more now than ever, and I dont know the detail of your claim or the policy so will assume that you were mis-sold as many people are for payment protection. I worked in banking for a few years so I know how the policies work, and there has been quite a bit in the news recently.

My point remains the same that we make the choice to take credit and we know the risks, myself included. I personally have no credit that I cant cover in full if things go wrong, I pay my card/s off every month in full.

I know im lucky and not everyones the same, nor can they be but If I couldnt I wouldnt have a credit card etc. I have lots of friends and coleagues who have 10's of thousands of pounds in debt it would drive me mental.

Thats really all off topic though isnt it

comnut
14-08-2008, 23:48
I have been looking for a solution for this for some time.. and I think I have found some thing that might fit... Panasonic do a range of cordless phones, that will do things like 'call bar' & and 'night mode'.. this site has a 'quick features list' and usually a link to the manual!
http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/panasonic-dect-cordless-phones/panasonic-9140-kxtg-9140-es-dect-camera-ansaphone/

or panasonic support here _ note they have a rather strange 'classification system' so you may have to look around a bit!
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Phones-Fax/Telephones/Expandable-Systems/model.KX-TG9341T.H

The key thing is 'night mode' - you can set a time period for when the phone will NOT ring! - you can also set numbers from the phonebook to bypass this, for important calls..

Cobbydaler
26-09-2008, 20:38
Barclaycard (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7637419.stm) have been fined £50,000 for flagrantly breaching the rules on silent calls.

Maximum should be higher than that IMO...

Joe B
25-10-2008, 18:54
As someone has stated, these nuisance calls are the equivalent of knocking on your door. More accurately, they are the equivalent of knocking on every door in the street and talking with only the first person who comes to the door. If you were to do that literally and repeatedly, you'd expect to be subject of an ASBO, if not a fine or, ultimately, a custodial sentence.

For those same and obvious reasons, ringing a lot of people's telephones all at once is indeed illegal. The trouble is, the "out of area" nuisance calls persist because they are beyond national jurisdiction. They are international crime.

Personally, I suspect that the telephone service providers are or could be technically capable of preventing the crime, and I'm sure that they will, just as soon as our national legislation obliges them to do so.

Mick Fisher
25-10-2008, 20:54
May be of interest??

http://www.truecall.co.uk/?gclid=CK-pkvOFw5YCFQSB1AodBAywwQ

This gadget was featured on my local radio priced £99.99.
It's new so the price may fall.

Looks like one of those "Don't know how I managed without" items.

Discuss? Anybody got one?

Joe B
25-10-2008, 22:14
I'll take my hat off to that as probably the most accurately targeted unsolicited sales presentation I've ever tolerated. It seems like an excellent use of counter-artificial-intelligence but the trouble, I wonder, is what will it do when I zap a caller from "out of area"? Will it subsequently prohibit all calls from overseas? That's the trouble with all the defence mechanisms. I'll ask and find out, and if I buy one then I'll come back here and recommend it to everyone.

nutellajunkie
14-11-2008, 13:54
its harassment in my opinion. All collections are they same.

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

May be of interest??

http://www.truecall.co.uk/?gclid=CK-pkvOFw5YCFQSB1AodBAywwQ

This gadget was featured on my local radio priced £99.99.
It's new so the price may fall.

Looks like one of those "Don't know how I managed without" items.

Discuss? Anybody got one?

Thats just some over strung anwering machine with an extra button and features.
I wouldnt pay for that.

fudge
16-11-2008, 18:29
I received an e mail from a freind yesterday funny enough just before i came across this post regarding calls where noone is there when answering the phone , this is what i was told to do to these calls

If you have a push button phone with a hash key button , when getting these calls press this button 7 times and this will confuse the system that has dialled you and will knock you of there list , i have not tried this yet but its worth a go ,
I was also told the reason why you get these calls is because thousands of numbers are fed into this system , auto dials the number then when you answer it the time , and the day is loged. Then another call will be made on the same day of another week and the same time by a real person because its thought that if you answered the phone say on monday 7pm you will be there next monday at 7pm so the person dialing is more likely to get an answer then not. Dont know if this is true but seems to make sence.