PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ip

General Pie
17-07-2008, 15:28
Hi, Im looking for some help and couldnt find what I needed in the search function, so I hope this hasnt been covered before

I recently moved house and changed my account to the new address. the modem is new, however the account and the computer is the same. I need to know if my ip could be identified from the previous house? Would it be the same?

Thanks in advance
Mike

sstainer
17-07-2008, 15:35
ushally the ip would change or so i been told

Andrewcrawford23
17-07-2008, 15:36
What do you mean identified from you previous house?

Do you mean will they get your old IP? or something completely different

Toto
17-07-2008, 15:36
Hi, Im looking for some help and couldnt find what I needed in the search function, so I hope this hasnt been covered before

I recently moved house and changed my account to the new address. the modem is new, however the account and the computer is the same. I need to know if my ip could be identified from the previous house? Would it be the same?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Your IP address is actually assigned to your PC or Router network interface. It's likely you will get a new IP address if your PC hasn't been connected up for a few days.

At least I think this is what you mean?

Aragorn
17-07-2008, 15:38
Your IP is assigned by the local VM cabinet and is tied to the hardware address of the modem.
Therefore if you have a new modem on a different street you will get a different IP.

General Pie
17-07-2008, 15:39
If I registered an account with a website and they logged ips, would they be able to tell I was the same person as the account registered at my previous address?

Toto
17-07-2008, 15:42
Your IP is assigned by the local VM cabinet and is tied to the hardware address of the modem.
Therefore if you have a new modem on a different street you will get a different IP.

Sorry, that isn't quite correct, its actually tied to the UBR and the CPE (client premise equipment), CPE being either your computer, or router if you use one.

Technically you should get a new IP if the old IP assigned to your computer has now lease expired.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

If I registered an account with a website and they logged ips, would they be able to tell I was the same person as the account registered at my previous address?

No. They could assume its the same account, but that would be foolish as all VM residential IP's are assigned dynamically.

Aragorn
17-07-2008, 15:57
Sorry, that isn't quite correct, its actually tied to the UBR and the CPE (client premise equipment), CPE being either your computer, or router if you use one.

Technically you should get a new IP if the old IP assigned to your computer has now lease expired.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

No. They could assume its the same account, but that would be foolish as all VM residential IP's are assigned dynamically.
You're right - load of tosh from me! :( (btw, I was using local VM cabinet as a bad synonym for UBR, in case the OP had no idea what a UBR is)

General Pie
17-07-2008, 16:01
Thanks for your help guys, very informative.

Toto
17-07-2008, 16:02
You're right - load of tosh from me! :( (btw, I was using local VM cabinet as a bad synonym for UBR, in case the OP had no idea what a UBR is)

I thought you might have been, and I guess actually it could be true if there are certain IP segments per card?

I dunno really' :)

---------- Post added at 16:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

Thanks for your help guys, very informative.

You're welcome :)

Thanks for the question :)

r00t
17-07-2008, 18:56
CPE MAC will request the same IP from the pool via DHCP, you may just get the same IP if you have not been offline for to long.

Jon T
17-07-2008, 19:34
CPE MAC will request the same IP from the pool via DHCP, you may just get the same IP if you have not been offline for to long.

Unless the new area is served by a different UBR, or a different card on the same UBR?

The above is sort of more of a question than a statement of fact.

Andrewcrawford23
17-07-2008, 19:56
Each UBR has it own pool of IP i believe so a different UBR should ave a differnet ip range.

General Pie
17-07-2008, 20:02
The new house in question is approx 5 miles or so from the original, so I assume then it would use the same?

Jon T
17-07-2008, 20:29
That really depends on if your old house was in the centre or on the edge of the coverage area of the UBR.