PDA

View Full Version : New to VM email hosting question

devonps
15-07-2008, 09:04
Hi,

I'm starting to look at the prospect of providing email hosting at my own site. I intend to purchase a (static) domain name and have a spare box already specced up to provide the email host + software.

As a new VM broadband (residential) customer I'd like to know if VM allows this kind of traffic both into and out of my server?

Secondly, at the domain level, what options should I be looking for. For example I assume mail forwarding is important.

I'll be hosting my server behind a router.

If there are any threads which discuss these items then please point me to them and I'll continue from there.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Kymmy
15-07-2008, 09:32
The problem with Residential BB is two fold, one the IP can change as it's semi-dynamic (the business account has a sticky IP which can also change but it's rare) and two there's no reverse DNS so you'll have to use NTL's SMTP server as a relay (you have to do this on the sticky IP's as well.)

The server would have to be running some form of mail server program. The domain name would have to point it's MX record at the servers EXTERNAL IP (though the server could be on an internal IP if you forward the mail ports from the router to the server.

Changing an MX record is simple as long as your domain name host has this function, if it just allows you to enter external Nameservers then it won't and you'll have to get some other nameserver service.

Kymmy

devonps
15-07-2008, 10:45
The problem with Residential BB is two fold, one the IP can change as it's semi-dynamic (the business account has a sticky IP which can also change but it's rare) and two there's no reverse DNS so you'll have to use NTL's SMTP server as a relay (you have to do this on the sticky IP's as well.)

Do you have a link to the business account?

The server would have to be running some form of mail server program. The domain name would have to point it's MX record at the servers EXTERNAL IP (though the server could be on an internal IP if you forward the mail ports from the router to the server.

I'm intending to use either Ubuntu mail server or Citadel - for a more professional looking service.

Changing an MX record is simple as long as your domain name host has this function, if it just allows you to enter external Nameservers then it won't and you'll have to get some other nameserver service.

Kymmy

Thanks for the quick turn around.
Steve.

ceedee
15-07-2008, 11:01
Do you have a link to the business account?

ntl:Telewest Business Broadband services (http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services.aspx)
Just remember that when it mentions a "fixed IP address", it actually means a "sticky IP address"!

eth01
15-07-2008, 11:29
ntl:Telewest Business Broadband services (http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services.aspx)
Just remember that when it mentions a "fixed IP address", it actually means a "sticky IP address"!

static IP address... :D

ceedee
15-07-2008, 12:20
static IP address... :D

ntl:Telewest Business Broadband don't call them "static IP addresses" (which they're not, given that they can and do change) but repeatedly call them "fixed IP addresses, when actually they are only "sticky" dynamic IPs.

If there's any doubt about the terminology, I'd recommend the OP research the various definitions and their implications.
eg. "Static addresses are also convenient, but not absolutely necessary, to locate servers inside an enterprise."
Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#Static_and_dynamic_IP_addresses)

devonps
28-07-2008, 09:42
Hi,

I'd like to setup an email server (running from my home) and have been quietly reading up on the whole subject! I'll be registering my own domain pretty soon (which I know is available) and will be using one of the dynamic Ip services, I have already built a basic/general Ubuntu server and will conver that into my mail server with either Zimba or Citadel.

I haven't spoke with my ISP about email hosting, btw it's VM.

Anyway onto my questions:
(1) When I look at the various domian registration sites - do I have to tell them that I want to run my own email server?

(2) When I finally sign up with a registrar what kind of services should I be looking for? For example I'll want people to be able to send email using my domain name.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Steve.

Graham M
28-07-2008, 09:45
I have merged your threads, please to not create multiple threads on the same subject!

chickendippers
28-07-2008, 10:07
You'll need to find a domain registrar with a hosted DNS service (as you haven't mentioned you will be running one yourself).

Unfortunately my company doesn't offer this, but I'd recommend Namecheap (http://www.namecheap.com/). Despite the name, they are actually an excellent customer-service orientated company.

gordonuk
29-07-2008, 13:54
Hi All, I successfully run email hosting through a VM connection. I use dnsexit to route the mail out via as VM have a limit on how many mails you can send via the smtp server. And I use dtdns to dynamically update my mx records incase VM change the ip address.

And if all else fails I have a backup line with BE that switches over all services automatically if the VM service fails.

If anyone needs a bit of advice on setting this sort of thing up let me know.

devonps
06-08-2008, 22:06
I've installed my email host server using Citadel - very easy to install and configure.

I have registered a domain with namecheap - who are very good so far.

I have created a test email address steve at thedcl.co.uk

I have created my MX records and had them verified by the domain registrar.

Now when I send an email from a googlemail address to the above email address - the message is bounced back to Googlemail.

Is there anything I need to consider with regards to VM both inbound and outbound?

Steve.

Kymmy
06-08-2008, 22:38
What's the bouce back error?? As without that it could be a number of different reasons

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 21:38 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Also I noticed that you have the MX record as MAIL.THEDCL.CO.UK is the subdomain MAIL set up as a Cname or A record??

All of my domains work with the following

MX record points directly at DOMAIN.CO.UK (and not mail.domain.co.uk) and MAIL is setup as an A record (i.e pointing directly to the IP)

devonps
06-08-2008, 22:59
The bounceback is: Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect - with a hyperlink that displays:

This error message indicates that we've attempted to make a connection with your recipient's server but didn't receive a reply. Some possible causes include the following:

* The other domain doesn't have up-to-date MX records or is otherwise misconfigured.
* The other domain is blacklisting or graylisting messages from Gmail.
* The other domain is experiencing temporary networking problems.

Kymmy
07-08-2008, 09:20
It's not blacklisted, I've just tried to telnet into the server and got not reply at all on the primary domain or the mx domain both on port 25

DNS points me to the IP address OK so not a DNS problem but I get nothing from any sort of ping/telnet... I'd suggest you check your firewall settings

devonps
08-08-2008, 12:56
Hi,

Been checking the ports I need to forward for Citadel to work and it seems I forgot to open them on the router Doh! :doh:

I'll open them later tonight and start testing.

For reference they are:

port Description
-------------------
25 - SMTP
110 - POP3
143 - IMAP
80 - HTTP (needed for webmail)
995 - secure POP3
993 - secure IMAP
443 - secure HTTP

I'll open the insecure ones over the weekend for debugging and once I'm happy they'll be closed down and only the secure ones will be up and running.

Kymmy - thanks for the help so far

devonps
08-08-2008, 21:22
Hi,

Just to let people know, opening the correct ports was the final procedure - I can now send and receive emails - so I'm a very happy person :D