PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a NTL 250 modem with a router?

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 16:56
If so are you experiencing any problems? I had a Linksys WRT54GL hooked up to mine and kept losing connection. PC (hard wired) and PS3 (wireless) would drop off the WAN. I could still ping my router though. This went on for months and I tried a Dynamode router from Virgin's website. Cheap as chips but didn't want to blow too much in case it wasn't the router at all. Well within a few hours the Dynamode had the EXACT same problem.
Just wondering if the 250's are a bit flaky with routers. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience. Two routers in a row seems a bit coincidental. Of course maybe the ones I've tried are just utter junk. Going by the price they probably are. Thanks man!

:)

Kymmy
14-07-2008, 16:59
If two routers are giving the same problem I'd either confirm the modems the problem by connecting it directly to a PC and running it that way for a day or two, or you could also help out the diagnostics by posting the config of the modem (i.e..signal levels, SNR..etc...)

Kymmy

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 17:04
The 250 is absolutely fine on it's own, no issues there. Just wondering if gets a little flaky when hooked up to a router.

Raistlin
14-07-2008, 17:07
I've had a WRT54GL for quite some time now, the only time I ever had any trouble with it was when I was hitting it with lots of traffic (simultaneous upload & download).

Upgrading the firmware solved that straight away, if you've not already done so I'd suggest you try that.

I'd also suggest you try different cables - sounds strange, but I've seen this issue caused by failing Ethernet cables.

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 17:19
Hi Rob. Yeah mate, it's amazing the problems UTP leads can create even though they're seemingly in good condition. I did networking for years and have a million of them. I've also seen fist hand the problems a bad batch can create! Nah, I wish it was the cable. Upgrading the firmware on my Linksys is a problem as it's version 7 I think which is difficult to flash without bricking it. Two routers with the same issue though had me thinking the 250 was ropey through a router but not if no one else has the problem. 250 modems are everywhere. Oh well. Gives me something to try and fix. Which I kinda enjoy in a sad, masochistic way. Cheers bud.

Raistlin
14-07-2008, 17:23
No worries - sorry I couldn't offer anything more constructive.

There may well be a problem with the 250 that I don't know about, I'd think there would be more people with problems though.

Half of me is wondering if the recent Microsoft patch that killed ZoneAlarm has done more damage to different aspects of browsing than we've been led to believe, I'd be loath to point the finger in that direction though without more proof.

Hope you get it sorted - nothing sad about trying to fix things, unless you like to break them first just for the challenge of putting them back together :D

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 17:28
Hehe. Nah, not quite THAT sad yet bud. I'd love to blame Microsoft but my PS3 bites it at the same time as my PC. The modem basically loses comms with the router. I've seen bad leads cause that but it looks like something entirely different. I'm not sure it's the router though as sometimes I don't even need to restart it to get back online. And I can always ping it even when the WAN drops. So the modem and router simply stop talking. Sounds like a bloody dodgy cable doesn't it? Well at least I have a few hundred to try! Cheers bud.

takisawa
14-07-2008, 17:56
We have a Netgear wireless router plugged into our NTL250 modem. Works fine. In fact, until recently, it worked without a single murmur for over 2 yrs. Now the net "stalls" for 10 mins or so every hour. Dont think thats down to the router though.

IanGuy
14-07-2008, 18:21
Hehe. Nah, not quite THAT sad yet bud. I'd love to blame Microsoft but my PS3 bites it at the same time as my PC. The modem basically loses comms with the router. I've seen bad leads cause that but it looks like something entirely different. I'm not sure it's the router though as sometimes I don't even need to restart it to get back online. And I can always ping it even when the WAN drops. So the modem and router simply stop talking. Sounds like a bloody dodgy cable doesn't it? Well at least I have a few hundred to try! Cheers bud.

I have this fault only when I have many simultaneous connections, ie. a torrent. I can still ping everything fine, though if I attempt to initiate a download for example I will not get a response for a few minutes. I've put it down to the router not supporting that many simultaneous connections, I also have the same router as you by the way with the latest firmware.

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 18:30
I have this fault only when I have many simultaneous connections, ie. a torrent. I can still ping everything fine, though if I attempt to initiate a download for example I will not get a response for a few minutes. I've put it down to the router not supporting that many simultaneous connections, I also have the same router as you by the way with the latest firmware.

Hey Ian. Nah, it just drops even when idle. I'll boot my PC up to find I'm offline. Do an ipconfig and all seems well. Just no WAN connection. My router and modem stop talking and I'll be damned if I can work out why. Unless I'm really unlucky and have 2 routers with the same symptoms.

Thanks folks.

tweetiepooh
14-07-2008, 18:31
I have a router (Belkin) with the 250 and have no issues.

whydoIneedatech
14-07-2008, 18:31
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

GrahamP
14-07-2008, 23:19
Hey EvilRoyalSlade

Next time your internet connection starts lagging and drops, write down the time it drops. Then go to http://192.168.100.1/CmEventLog.asp

Can you see if there is anything happening at the same minute in which your connection drops?

BryanW
16-07-2008, 10:51
I had similar problems with my WRT54GS and my old 250 modem, but the modem on its own was fine. I didn't try upgrading the firmware on the router, but I'm inclined to think that it's probably related to an issue between the number of simultaneous connections and the Linksys router.

I haven't set up my router with my new 256 modem yet, don't really need to at the moment.

EvilRoySlade
16-07-2008, 14:37
Update. Been messing around the last 2 days and I could have been on the wrong track. I tried my modem on it's own again and it started losing connection. I could ping and log into it but no DNS. My modem never dropped until I bought a router so I just assumed it was the router. Dig this though - when I got the router I moved my modem and PC upstairs and a cable splitter was used to connect my STB and modem to the main line. The splitter channels are both 3.7dB. Could this be relevant? The reason I ask is I put the pipe straight into the back of modem, bypassing the splitter (and effectively disconnecting my STB) and I haven't been offline since. That's since this morning and I can't remember the last time I was on for more than an hour. Could be a coincidence of course. Or perhaps my splitter was weakening my signal and booting me off. If that's the case I owe Linksys a huge apology. Time shall tell if I end up with egg all over my dish!

EvilRoySlade
16-07-2008, 21:36
Well, still haven't lost my connection! Almost 12 hours now and no drops. The reason I know this is I'm still signed on to my PS3. I'd have been disconnected long ago but nope, still logged in. Looking like the splitter right enough. This might be of interest to people with similar problems.

ceedee
17-07-2008, 01:11
It's been an interesting read too for those of us with nothing to contribute, Roy.
Thanks for keeping us informed as you've narrowed the problem down -- it's the solutions that have "value" rather than the problems themselves!

Let us know how it goes getting the splitter replaced?

EvilRoySlade
17-07-2008, 01:47
It's been an interesting read too for those of us with nothing to contribute, Roy.
Thanks for keeping us informed as you've narrowed the problem down -- it's the solutions that have "value" rather than the problems themselves!

Let us know how it goes getting the splitter replaced?

Hey Ceedee. Thanks man. Well I've just put a spare splitter I had on it. A three channel splitter with two 7dB's and a 3.5. Popped STB onto the 7 and modem onto the 3.5. All seems well so far but I'll find out for sure soon enough. My downstream power level has dropped from -2 to -6 so it's definitely had an impact. Fingers crossed though!