PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Server MAC Address Issue

den1s
13-07-2008, 21:39
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have NTL Business broadband with 5 static addresses. I have set up Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 on my server which is connected via one NIC to a router which is connected to the NTL modem. I use Windows 2003 Server.

As i have virtual servers on my one server, when i attempt to register each of the IP address allocated to me, NTL refuses it as each virtual server uses the same NIC and same Router, therefore same MAC address.

I called NTL and they told me you cannot register the same MAC address for each of the five IP address.

Has anyone been in this situation, or know what i can do to get around the problem. My router is able to manage upto 8 public IP addresses using the WAN Alias feature. I am also able to change MAC address on the router too.

Thanks,

Denis

eth01
13-07-2008, 21:48
Hi everyone,

I have NTL Business broadband with 5 static addresses. I have set up Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 on my server which is connected via one NIC to a router which is connected to the NTL modem. I use Windows 2003 Server.

As i have virtual servers on my one server, when i attempt to register each of the IP address allocated to me, NTL refuses it as each virtual server uses the same NIC and same Router, therefore same MAC address.

I called NTL and they told me you cannot register the same MAC address for each of the five IP address.

Has anyone been in this situation, or know what i can do to get around the problem. My router is able to manage upto 8 public IP addresses using the WAN Alias feature. I am also able to change MAC address on the router too.

Thanks,

Denis

:welcome:

You need to be using a virtual MAC address, this should be different to the the CM assigned MAC..

What virtualization technologies are you using btw? It should be supported tbh...

den1s
13-07-2008, 22:20
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am very new to Virtual Servers and am learning my way through day by day.

What do you mean by Virtualisation technologies?

My router is a Draytek Vigor 2930vN.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2930.html

Thanks in advance,

Denis

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

I am using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 on Windows 2003 Server platform.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/

Denis

Kymmy
14-07-2008, 00:10
Set the IP's manually, if you look on the https://memberservices.ntlbusiness.com/ website you can find out which IP's you have. They're not gonna be allocated to anyone else (not unless they resegment)

Kymmy

Stuart
14-07-2008, 00:23
:welcome:

What virtualization technologies are you using btw? It should be supported tbh...

He already said that...

Hi everyone,

den1s
14-07-2008, 10:33
So if i spoof the mac address on the router to the virtual MAC address on Virtual Server 1 and register the system. Then do the same for server 2. What happends when I revert the router back to its default MAC address. Will Server 1 & 2 still connect to the internet?

Thanks

Denis

den1s
15-07-2008, 12:03
Hi all,

I am trying to set up a virtual server using Windows Virtual Server 2005 with one network card and a single router, but it appears at the moment that this is impossible with NTL services.

The problem is that NTL will not allow duplicate MAC addresses on a range of IP Addresses (we have 5 Static IP address). I was also told that IP Routing may be a possibility. However, it appears that unless an IP Address is directly connected to a MAC address IP routing will fail.

Windows Virtual Server 2005 does have a virtual MAC address function, but the router connected to the modem is the issue, as the DHCP server at NTL only sees that Router MAC address and not the virtual servers MAC addresses connected to it.

Has anyone achieved this or worked around this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Denis

Raistlin
15-07-2008, 12:08
Hi :)

I've merged your new thread with the old one, please don't open multiple threads for the same topic - it makes it difficult for people to help you out :tu: