PDA

View Full Version : router and internet,fails

mam
13-07-2008, 15:30
Hi,

Yesterday Virgin had technical issues in my local area,Bristol.

I could not connect to the internet.Today I can,but only with my NETGEAR Router disconnected .

I reinstalled the Router,still no connection.The message you have limited or no connectivity appears.

I thought the Router had failed,so I bought another NETGEAR Router,the same message appears with this one.

Like I said,with both Routers connected,problems,without all fine.

According to the VIRGIN status page,there are still some issues in Bristol,could this cause problems for my Router when It try's to connect???.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Update,

Just phoned VIRGIN tech support,he was very helpful.

The problem was addressed,but he said it was probably their fault,as the router MAC address was not being recognized at their end?.

We used the PC's MAC address,and the router now connects to the internet.On the Netgear set up wizard I used 'Use this MAC address '

It is annoying me,that if I buy a new router or have to reinstall again,I will not be able to follow the simple NETGEAR setup wizard.

Your thoughts please on this solution.

Thanks

mam
13-07-2008, 17:49
Hello.

After the probs Bristol had yesterday and today,I can only setup my Netgear router by using the PC's MAC address.If I try and use the setup wizard,the setup hands when checking my settings,with the routers MAC address used ?.

Phoned VIRGIN,the tech guy was very helpful and said the problem was their end.He could not offer any other advice ,on how to address this issue.

So from now on I have manually setup my router.

Can anyone help please.What can VIRGIN do,or me to correct this prob.Is this a well known problem with them.

Cheers

Nilrem
13-07-2008, 19:47
IIRC when changing the device connected to the modem, be it a PC, games console or Router you need to
Power down the modem for 30 seconds (unplugging any connected devices), power it up, wait for it to sync, then connect the new device.

BenMcr
13-07-2008, 20:48
Are you on modem broadband or TV STB broadband?

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 20:49
Hello.

After the probs Bristol had yesterday and today,I can only setup my Netgear router by using the PC's MAC address.If I try and use the setup wizard,the setup hands when checking my settings,with the routers MAC address used ?.

Phoned VIRGIN,the tech guy was very helpful and said the problem was their end.He could not offer any other advice ,on how to address this issue.

So from now on I have manually setup my router.

Can anyone help please.What can VIRGIN do,or me to correct this prob.Is this a well known problem with them.

Cheers

Did he say it was a problem with IPs from your UBR.

mam
14-07-2008, 11:34
Hi,

Over the weekend my BB in the Bristol area went off line.When It was back,I could not connect to the net with my Netgear Router connected .With just the modem,no issues.

From another forum,I was told that my Router MAC is no longer on file with VIRGIN,this happened when I lost my connection.

To access the net with my router,I used the PC's MAC,not the router MAC.

Question,who do I contact at VIRGIN to request my Router MAC be added to the my MAC addresses please.

Cheers

DocDutch
14-07-2008, 11:43
you can just do it yourself, go to the router setup page probably it is 192.168.1.1 and go to connection settings, here you can clone the mac address of your pc.

Raistlin
14-07-2008, 11:44
Before you try that, try this.

Connect the Router between PC and Modem, set the Router's MAC to what it should be.

Turn everything off. Turn the Modem on, wait 5 minutes. Turn the Router on, wait 5 minutes. Turn the PC on.

Is it working now?

Richy99
14-07-2008, 13:05
the limited or no connection normally comes from the router not the VM side of things

turn off the modem
turn off the router
turn on the modem
turn on the router

does the modems sync light come on? have you logged intothe routers web interface and selected clone mac address?

how are you conencting to the router? ethernet or wireless?

Stuart
14-07-2008, 13:11
mam, I have merged your three threads into one. Please do not create multiple threads for one subject.

mam
14-07-2008, 20:01
Hello all,

Sorry for posting more then one thread on this issue:sorry:

Let me try and clarify what happened,what I did,and what VIRGIN said.

Last week and for me Sat and Sun,VIRGIN BB went down.When It was back on-line,the only way for me to connect was to disconnect my NETGEAR router.Using their supplied modem I could connect first time.

I uninstalled my router,thinking it was at fault.Tried to re-configure,but it stated that there was something wrong with my settings.

Still assumed the router was at fault,and bought a new NETGEAR router.The new router stopped at the same point as the first,stating that my settings were wrong.Took the new router back.

Phoned VIRGIN tech dept,spoke to a very helpful chap.Long story cut short,the MAC address they had on file was not the router MAC or the modem MAC,but my PC's MAC address.

We manually configured the router by using the PC's MAC,and it successfully configured the router.

He did mention a few acronyms ,sorry I cant recall them.

We did the usual power the modem first,then router and PC.This was unsuccessful,it was down to guess work and luck that he suggested using the PC's MAC.

Currently all in running smoothly ,but I am not happy about the solution to address this problem.

I phoned VIRGIN today,asking about the MAC situation .I was informed that VIRGIN only keep one MAC address on file.They cant change it or update it.They used to keep about 3 MAC addresses on file,but they lack the space????

From the conversation I had,I know that I am not the only person who has had this problem over the past few months.

Rob M,We tried your idea on Sunday,the router would not obtain the IP address,IP Subnet Mask or Gateway IP Address with the routers MAC.

Richy99,Ethernet connection.The sync lights come on,the modem works ok,it just will not allow the router to connect to obtain the required info.

DocDutch,We did it your way and it worked.It router would not connect/setup using the setup wizard.

whydoIneedatech,He might of mentioned that,but I cant recall.

BenMcr,Modem BB

Nilrem,we did this and still would not allow the router to configure .

Thank you all for your help:angel:,if you require more details please ask.

Thank you

r00t
14-07-2008, 20:08
Arh, right. So it was the CPE MAC in the host table. ;)

mam
14-07-2008, 20:19
'Arh, right. So it was the CPE MAC in the host table'

I'm confused ,what does this mean please:erm:

mam
16-07-2008, 18:44
Hello.

I received a phone call today from VIRGIN regarding the problems I experienced over the weekend .

Very pleasant chap,seemed interested in what happened and what I had to say.

I asked him about the MAC address,he said there should only be one MAC address on file,that of the modem.The MAC address matched the one printed on my modem now,it didn't on Sunday.

I explained about having to use the PC's MAC address with the router,because the router MAC was not being recognized.

So then,if my modem MAC is correct,and they only keep one MAC,was what I was told by the VIRGIN tech dept in error.

Cheers