PDA

View Full Version : Flaky connection on VM with Belkin G+ Mimo router

thenephilim79
12-07-2008, 20:00
Hi,

Have been tearing my hair out over this one for a few months now....and this is almost a last resort now.

I have 20mb Virgin Media cable broadband (I dont have TV or Phone through Virgin) in the Dundee area.

Using a Scientific Atlantic cable modem as provided by Virgin (tiny wee black box type thing) which is connecting through ethernet to a Belkin Wireless G Plus Mimo router (FD9230-uk4 I think is the exact model)

Now, my home network consists of my main PC (Vista, I stupidly upgraded from XP Pro and regret it but thats another story) which is connected to the Belkin through ethernet.

Also a wireless connection to a PC downstairs

Ethernet connection to Playstation 3

And lastly wireless connection to an Xbox360

The problem really arises when I try and play online through the 360, PS3 and sometimes my main PC

The connection is lost to the PS3, 360 and to a lesser extent the PC too.

Annoying when trying to do world tour Rock Band or CoD4 etc

I have been thinking this was to do with Virgin Media and today I directly connected the PS3 to the VM cable modem and disconnected the Belkin completely

I was able to play CoD4 for over an hour with no loss of connection/connection interrupted occurences.

I then added the Belkin back into the loop and connection was interrupted and I was bumped back to the menu's every 5 minutes

I have went through the Belkin, tried putting the PS3 as a DMZ enabled machine, UPNP, port forwarding etc etc

All the same, it just loses the connection (also the same with the 360, it isnt just 1 thing affected)

This problem could have been happening when I had a Netgear instead of the Belkin (about 8 months ago), but I wasnt playing the 360 or PS3 online at that time and have only really gotten into it in the last 3 months

Cany anyone help before I just chuck everything out and end up going with BT or some other ADSL company (mate keeps recomending Orange as they have no problems with them)

:confused:

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Was just checking around google for any things that may help the problems I am having.

Now I know some techy stuff and this solution just sounds.....wrong!

"Belkin but if you are using a Virgin Cable Modem, you have to box a bit clever and use a hub to connect the modem to the network, and from this to the wireless router."

Octimon
12-07-2008, 20:14
I have this router and had problems with it until I upgraded the firmware

thenephilim79
12-07-2008, 20:16
Have now tried to update the firmware on the Belkin as Octimon suggests

Now using firmware 5.02.08, which according to Belkin fixes the following;

"Intermittent brief drops in the connection in some configurations that would cause downloads to stop"

So fingers crossed, away to try the PS3 now

jellybaby
12-07-2008, 20:18
I finally gave up with my Belkin router 3 weeks ago and went back to Linksys. Haven't has a single problem since.
Might be worth checking out the beta firmware they have on the site for that model, It improved things a little for me, but with constant disconnects I got fed up and itched it completely.

Firmware update - http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/product/?lid=enu&pid=F5D9230uk4&scid=282

I tried the version 5.

Hope its of some use to you

thenephilim79
12-07-2008, 20:37
So far so good, 3 games of CoD4 on PS3 with no disconnects!!!

Thanks Jellybaby and Octimon, touch wood it looks to have worked!

moaningmags
13-07-2008, 03:50
"Cany anyone help before I just chuck everything out and end up going with BT or some other ADSL company (mate keeps recomending Orange as they have no problems with them)"

I like the way you automatically assumed VM was at fault.

saabmania2
13-07-2008, 08:35
"Cany anyone help before I just chuck everything out and end up going with BT or some other ADSL company (mate keeps recomending Orange as they have no problems with them)"

I like the way you automatically assumed VM was at fault.

Unfortunatly alot of people assume that it is VM's fault, but i have to say your friend can't be much of a friend if he's recommending Orange to you, they come out the worst isp in most surveys (people say vm's customer service is bad lol they obviously haven't been with orange then) :)

on another note Belkin routers seem to be bad for dropping connections amongst other things, i have a general view on these things, if you go to PC WORLD and see they are pushing an item i.e a router,norton internet security/anti virus, it means it's not very good, pc world are very good at pushing poor quality goods i.e special offers or free/half price with a pc, why do you think they are pushing them, it's not because they are good item's and they want to give you them free/cheep, it's because they have got them very cheap and are trying to get them out the door asap to the unknowing buyer.:(

thenephilim79
13-07-2008, 10:54
Well for one I did not buy the Belkin router through PC World, I use local independant computer stores.

Also, I assumed it was VM's fault because over the last 3 years I am on my 6th cable modem from VM due to problems with losing sync and the modem just dying...and having to wade through there support system was not a pretty experience (in the end just had to keep hanging up until I got a weegie on the line as the overseas support was as useful as a chocolate teapot)

saabmania2
13-07-2008, 11:54
Well for one I did not buy the Belkin router through PC World, I use local independant computer stores.

Also, I assumed it was VM's fault because over the last 3 years I am on my 6th cable modem from VM due to problems with losing sync and the modem just dying...and having to wade through there support system was not a pretty experience (in the end just had to keep hanging up until I got a weegie on the line as the overseas support was as useful as a chocolate teapot)

calm down i was trying to give a little advise :confused:

i did not say you had bought the router from pc world, i was saying that you should go and have a look at what offers they have as the products they do have on offer are cheep rubbish like the belkin and norton products.
maybe some glasses or something might help :rolleyes:

anyway as you seem to take things the wrong way i won't help any longer.
some people

thenephilim79
13-07-2008, 12:06
Excuse me, I have taken nothing the wrong way and was in no way being argumentative

But you brought things up which had no relevance to the problem, making comment about PC World and also the comment about Orange cause my mate has had no problems with them

Re-read your original post again, and I dont see the supposed advice, just a few sly wee dig's, so thanks for hijacking the thread with stuff not about the actual problems

Cobbydaler
13-07-2008, 12:16
I think the current posters are slightly at cross purposes.

Please remember to discuss the points raised & do not make personal comments.

Thank you.

[Edit] Thread closed at OP's request.