PDA

View Full Version : Now 10mb Which DU Meter Settings?

DJ_Price
11-07-2008, 07:22
I've now been upgraded to 10mb & I also have been using DU Meter recently because of the TM. Does anyone have decent settings to put into DUM that will work well with the TM settings? I currently have DUM to startup at 4pm & close & 9pm, with the current setup: (Short period) Alert me when more than 620mb is sent/received in the last 5 hours. (Long period) Alert me when incoming/outgoing traffic exceeds 40GB during the current month. I'd like to have it setup better so I don't cause problems & end up getting restricted for 5 hours.

Graham M
11-07-2008, 08:28
Why should you limit yourself though when you pay the same as everybody else?

Angry@VMedia
11-07-2008, 08:56
Why should you limit yourself though when you pay the same as everybody else?

:clap: :clap:

eth01
11-07-2008, 09:37
I've now been upgraded to 10mb & I also have been using DU Meter recently because of the TM. Does anyone have decent settings to put into DUM that will work well with the TM settings? I currently have DUM to startup at 4pm & close & 9pm, with the current setup: (Short period) Alert me when more than 620mb is sent/received in the last 5 hours. (Long period) Alert me when incoming/outgoing traffic exceeds 40GB during the current month. I'd like to have it setup better so I don't cause problems & end up getting restricted for 5 hours.

Remove that pile of c*** now.

P.S -- I'll be ya friend if ya do? :p:

broadbandbug
11-07-2008, 11:27

Just use the internet as you want.. If you get managed then so be it.. If everyone did this then the % captured would rise and VM would have to increase the volume thresholds to bring it back into the 5% target that they publish.

Martyn
11-07-2008, 12:12
its crap system they got... my net went slow from 3-6 last night, and again from 9am this morning, and its still crap... i have no idea what they are doing, and im not even in to download anything... i try download 1 game this month, and im unable to because it starts at full speeds, then goes at slower speeds, some how causes the download to be currupt. sucks.

DJ_Price
11-07-2008, 16:27
Thanks for everyone replying & kinda missing the reason i made this post, but I'd rather be able to have the full 10mb when needed, than be TM'd & then only have 2mb or whatever i'd be dropped down to. I'm a speed demon, some people like to go fast in there cars, I like to go fast on the internet. I've never had my internet speed reduced in all the 10 years of being on the internet, just always gone for higher speed packages.

duffman
11-07-2008, 20:59
I can see your point but at the end of the day if you get capped then 2.5meg is good enough for internet browsing (as long as you are not still downloading).

DJ_Price
11-07-2008, 23:14
I can see your point but at the end of the day if you get capped then 2.5meg is good enough for internet browsing (as long as you are not still downloading).
But going from 10mb down to 2.5mb would be like going from a ferrari to s renault clio or 2mb connection to 56k. I guess no one actually uses du meter here then. I guess I will just have to work out some decent enough settings for myself. Also sure if I was restricted to 2.5mb all the time, then it would be pointless me paying full price to use 10mb. Damn TM!!

whydoIneedatech
11-07-2008, 23:30
But going from 10mb down to 2.5mb would be like going from a ferrari to s renault clio or 2mb connection to 56k. I guess no one actually uses du meter here then. I guess I will just have to work out some decent enough settings for myself. Also sure if I was restricted to 2.5mb all the time, then it would be pointless me paying full price to use 10mb. Damn TM!!

I would not touch the DU Meter with that well known dirty ended stick :p:

DJ_Price
11-07-2008, 23:54
Well du meter doesn't look like it would be needed anyway, because since the upgrade was received yesterday evening my modem has been rebooting all the time. Was happening before & have made a few posts on here about the problems & also phoned up VM & made posts on the newsgroups, but no one seems to take it seriously & says there is nothing wrong & no reboots are logged, even though I have made a video recording & added it to two of my posts on the forum here. Ambit 120 Home modem!

Martyn
12-07-2008, 21:09
i just been upgraded to 20mb, got better speeds on 10mb lol

Ed2020
12-07-2008, 21:53
I would not touch the DU Meter with that well known dirty ended stick :p:

I'm curious - why?

Ed.

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 11:33
I'm curious - why?

Ed.

Because I do not feel the need to Pay for a program that will tell me when I am reaching my Download limit, I am not paranoid enough to feel that its required to prevent me being Traffic Managed by Virgin.

If I download then I download without wondering will it suddenly slow.

Ed2020
13-07-2008, 13:40
Okay, seems like good logic to me! :)

Ed.

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 15:16
Okay, seems like good logic to me! :)

Ed.

Do you use DU Meter and do you think it benefits you at all.

Ed2020
13-07-2008, 18:39
I mainly use it for monitoring download/upload speeds to make sure I'm getting the service I'm paying for and to keep an eye on how VM are applying their STM policy, which as we know doesn't always work as advertised.

I occasionally glance at the monthly download figures as well - out of interest more than anything else.

I certainly don't use it for keeping below the STM threshold. My thoughts are the same as yours on that score.

I use Linux far more than Windows now anyway, and Gnome's System Monitor provides the same information.

Ed.

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 20:00
I mainly use it for monitoring download/upload speeds to make sure I'm getting the service I'm paying for and to keep an eye on how VM are applying their STM policy, which as we know doesn't always work as advertised.

I occasionally glance at the monthly download figures as well - out of interest more than anything else.

I certainly don't use it for keeping below the STM threshold. My thoughts are the same as yours on that score.

I use Linux far more than Windows now anyway, and Gnome's System Monitor provides the same information.

Ed.

I see the good points of it but do not feel the need to use it as previously posted.

Good to see it is of use to you.

Ed2020
13-07-2008, 20:47
I see the good points of it but do not feel the need to use it as previously posted.

Good to see it is of use to you.

Absolutely fair enough. I was just curious to know why you didn't use it - I thought maybe you knew something nasty about it that I hadn't heard, in which case I'd dump it. :)

Ed.

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 20:53
Absolutely fair enough. I was just curious to know why you didn't use it - I thought maybe you knew something nasty about it that I hadn't heard, in which case I'd dump it. :)

Ed.

I was probably being over cautious in my first post to put it mildly and put the wrong type of comment.

They do recommend it on the Virgin website see link below.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

near the bottom