PDA

View Full Version : Is my cable modem dead Motorola SB5101E

Kwi
10-07-2008, 12:46
Hello All,

Have signed up to this fourm after I have lost internet connection for the last week or so.
I am having trouble with my cable modem, all lights on the front are ok apart from the "online" light which just flashed. I logged into the cable modem and reset it but had no joy. I then reset its factory settings (someting I feel maybe I should not of done :shrug: ) after the reboot it either gets stuck blinking on the recieve light or the online light.
I know people think that the logs are pointless but better tell you what is is saying anyway.
It just comes up with:

T002.0 SYNC Timing failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
T001.0 SYNC Timing failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol

And that it is, it just repeats the same error message over and over again.

I have unpluged the cable moden, including the coaxil lead and pluged back in making sure all the leads are tightly fastened.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Kymmy
10-07-2008, 12:54
Ring up Tech support, tell them exactly what's going on and they should send you a new modem or at least send an engineer out to check the line.

Kymmy

Kwi
10-07-2008, 13:02
OK, Thanks Kymmy.

sarcastixx
10-07-2008, 16:19
[moderators edit do not give out this information you have been warned once more will be your last]

Kwi
10-07-2008, 16:36
Cheers for that, not to sure why the mods have blocked what you said :shrug:
Think most of the stuff you wrote have got just a little bit over my head.
My frequeny had gone when I reset it to its factory settings though, I will try setting it to 331000000 (or is this a bad idea) also I noticed the the channel had gone I think it was set to 2 or 4 but not sure.:dunce:
Cheers
Oh yeah, dont reply if it is going to get you blocked.

Raistlin
10-07-2008, 16:38
If the Modem is provided by VM then you need to give Tech Support a call and get them to fix it (playing with these settings yourself isn't a great idea), if it isn't an officially supplied modem you won't get any help with your issue here as we don't allow discussions which could allow a theft of service - that is why sarcastixx's post was edited, as it contained such information.

Kwi
10-07-2008, 16:45
OK, it is a Modem provided by Virgin (Telewest). I will give them a call tonight but dont really like the idea of spending ages on the phone to them at 25p a min, esp as I only have a work phone and I know i will get called up by my manager on the phone bill. (thats if my phone will let me call the number as that number might be blocked) I have also mailed VM and am awaiting there reply.

Cheers

Raistlin
10-07-2008, 16:46
No worries then :)

I don't know what to suggest about the call charges though, sorry :erm:

sarcastixx
10-07-2008, 16:58
if it isn't an officially supplied modem you won't get any help with your issue here as we don't allow discussions which could allow a theft of service - that is why sarcastixx's post was edited, as it contained such information.

Totally right m8..i joined the forum after usin an outside link 2 view a thread+got mixed up with wot u guys r about and also wot the T's and C's were(i never read em:****)..apologies again 2 any1 affected by my posts

MovedGoalPosts
10-07-2008, 17:40
You are stuck between a rock and a hard place if you cannot phone while you are near your computer. Inevitably you'll be asked to do certain things with the modem or computer while they try and diagnose the fault. Regretably VM don't really do support by email.

jaycee
14-07-2008, 01:54
They do however do support via News, but I think you have to be able to use news.virginmedia.com in order to access the groups

sstainer
14-07-2008, 02:02
OK, it is a Modem provided by Virgin (Telewest). I will give them a call tonight but dont really like the idea of spending ages on the phone to them at 25p a min, esp as I only have a work phone and I know i will get called up by my manager on the phone bill. (thats if my phone will let me call the number as that number might be blocked) I have also mailed VM and am awaiting there reply.

Cheers

broadband faults is free now via 151 option 3

---------- Post added at 02:02 ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 ----------

They do however do support via News, but I think you have to be able to use news.virginmedia.com in order to access the groups

easy to set up newsgroups how to detailed here
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php