PDA

View Full Version : 20mb , should i downgrade to 10mb?

spinna
10-07-2008, 08:48
im with virgin media and paying for 20mb but only seem to be getting just under 10mb speeds at peak times,which is mostly when im using/need broadband.
if i downgrade to 10mb should i max out my connection all the time?

any people using 10mb here that can tell me what the service is like?, will 10mb be ok for gaming online using my ps3 or xbox360?

yay first post !

zing_deleted
10-07-2008, 08:56
:welcome: 10 meg should be ok for the gaming. How much do you download? STM has a lower limit with 10 meg over 20 if that is not a problem save some cash :)

spinna
10-07-2008, 09:09
dont really download much, but if i do i download late at night when i get better speeds so it doesnt take that long to get what im after
normally game demos are the biggest files that i download.
im paying £29 for my 20mb im not sure if this is just a offer or not, it might go up to £37 soon
( i moved house in december and they had to set up a new accout for me so maybe they have reduced the cost as a offer ?)
im also wondering if i change to 10mb could i get it cheaper than £25?

whydoIneedatech
10-07-2008, 09:11
dont really download much, but if i do i download late at night when i get better speeds so it doesnt take that long to get what im after
normally game demos are the biggest files that i download.
im paying £29 for my 20mb im not sure if this is just a offer or not, it might go up to £37 soon
( i moved house in december and they had to set up a new accout for me so maybe they have reduced the cost as a offer ?)
im also wondering if i change to 10mb could i get it cheaper than £25?

Ring up and find out
Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)

Harry56
10-07-2008, 09:49
im with virgin media and paying for 20mb but only seem to be getting just under 10mb speeds at peak times,which is mostly when im using/need broadband.

any people using 10mb here that can tell me what the service is like?, will 10mb be ok for gaming online using my ps3 or xbox360?

yay first post !

I've just gone up from 2 to 10MB and when I was speaking to the chap about this I mentioned if VM would throttle my speed back during the evening because if they were going to do that I wasn't interested in upgrading as I would be paying for something I wasn't getting (which isn't too clever), the chap said that if I didn't abuse their fair use policy then I would get, wait for it, up to 10MB but the speed received wouldn't be too far from the 10 provided I didn't abuse their fair use policy. Sadly broadband speed is one of the few things you pay for and not get what you pay for.

Kymmy
10-07-2008, 09:55
Abuse thier FUP????????.....

As thier FUP (in relation to STM) for 10Mb is only 1.2GB download between 4pm and 9pm (with other limits for upload and download at other times) it's extremely easy to abuse without even realising it, at that point you're on a 2.5Mb Download with 128Kb upload for 5 hours..

Kymmy

Harry56
10-07-2008, 10:04
That's what he told me. He explained it as if a few people are downloading a lot of data then that slows it down for everyone else ergo VM throttle back the speed of the "hogger". Perhaps he was only trying to placate me.

Kymmy
10-07-2008, 10:18
Hmmm, now let me see, you wanted to know good information before you upgraded to a more expensive package....

Usual case of CS will tell you anything if they believe they're gonna get a sale

Kymmy

spinna
10-07-2008, 10:38
so if i go over my limit at 8.30pm will i have my speeds restricted for 30mins or 5 hours?

chickendippers
10-07-2008, 10:49
5 hours.

Harry56
10-07-2008, 11:11
Hmmm, now let me see, you wanted to know good information before you upgraded to a more expensive package....

Usual case of CS will tell you anything if they believe they're gonna get a sale

Kymmy

Well, if I discover that the CS person has been somewhat economical with the truth I'll simply go back to the initial speed of 2 and when they ask why I'll explain to them that I was mislead. It's no big deal really.

spinna
10-07-2008, 12:24
just been on the phone to VM and they said the offer that im getting for 20mb is untill december, so looks like i will downgrade before then because im not paying £37 for broadband thats getting throttled!

Rik
10-07-2008, 13:43
because im not paying £37 for broadband thats getting throttled!

Tell me about it, im feeling that way now as well, as soon as I pay my next bill I will be asking for retentions.
Used to be happy with the service but not now :(

Harry56
10-07-2008, 13:49
It's the old "getting a half pint and being charged for a pint because the pub's too full" attitude these companies have but the great British broadband using public seem to put up with it.

xspeedyx
10-07-2008, 14:10
I used to be happy with my BB speeds, then STM came in 4 - 12pm which I was really unhappy then it changed to 4 - 9pm which is ok so a bit happier now the new stm and appilication throttling I am really peed off with VM

chuzzlemonkey
10-07-2008, 14:32

yay first post !

Hi don't downgrade just yet! Your area still hasn't been upgraded to 10mb!!!

Keep checking the schedule. At the moment all we know is you will be upgraded by September...Keep checking back to that page for updates though! =]

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

spinna
10-07-2008, 20:57
guess i will keep 20mb for now then, as least untill september Grrr