PDA

View Full Version : You're all 20Mb pirates

Visitor
09-07-2008, 14:19
I got into an interesting conversation today, while talking to a VM operator, Hi XXXX :)

Well we were discussing broadband speeds, and browsing speeds, what I may need in the future, the new 50Mb BB and eventually started talking about what I download.

The person assumed I was downloading a hell of a lot, because I have 20Mb broadband, else I wouldn’t need it. If I'm downloading a hell of a lot, then it must be a lot of illegal movies I'm downloading :)

Well you know, I didn’t take offence, after all he was friendly, and was putting forward some good points. I argued that programs like P2P software was never developed for illegal use, but his argument was I wouldn’t use P2P to download an iTune, or a home movie made by my uncle :)

So remember now, the fact that you have 20Mb broadband, means your downloading illegal movies. Don’t flame me, I didn’t say it, VM said it :)

However the point of this post, isn’t about that, I was wondering exactly what services are out there, where you can pay per view (Download) or a monthly fee. I know there are plenty for music, but what's available for movies.

So I sign up for a monthly deal with a company, or visit the BBC to watch TV, but still restricted on how much I can download :) but there again I don’t suppose you would want to download much from the BBC ?

So what's out there, what can you subscribe to? Are there any companies offering new movies to download? Are there any cinema deals, I know Orange give their customers a BOGOF for tickets to the Odeon etc..

What else is there ?

Remember now, if you have 20Mb broadband, you are illegaly downloading movies, and its got to stop now, because within a short time (next few years) perhaps less, your going to prison, even if you watch 6Gb of trailers :)

P.S Does Kazaa still work :)

PPS the only reason I have 20Mb is because I got a free upgrade, makes you wonder what they want you to do with 20Mb ?

Druchii
09-07-2008, 14:26
KaZaA still works. Seen people using it, won't go into details.

Anywho, Good luck all you illegal donwloaders. :p:

Nicosia
09-07-2008, 14:28
you can watch and download tv episodes from bbc which is good brut they only let you eep it for 30 days but whats good about it what i like about it is that u dont have to sit through adverts when watching shows like top gea

smeagoly1
09-07-2008, 15:11
There had been a few sci-fi fan sites that streamed a lot of stuff, that would never have gone to dvd on be played on tv. Run and researched by fans. One or two freebie views, but a pay monthly subscription for most. Non savable I may add. Pay your subscription and view. A fast connection was a must tbh.

I do belive the beeb may have also finished or near finishing their online archives.

Star Wars Revelation another fan made movie, large download and legal. The net has fan based sites on most things, getting more and more technical as the weeks go by.
Would not be surprised if there were, fan made series being aired online. All this would need people with decents speeds to enjoy, but current capping would prevent UK users a great deal.

kryogenik
09-07-2008, 15:13
Lovefilm is the only service I use I can think of that falls into this category you mention. You can download movies from them.
http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/

peteh
09-07-2008, 17:21
20mb does not equate to 20mb for everybody that has it

Our household has always used the largest available package, that is however because the connection is shared and 2 of us are avid gamers, the 3rd just uses it for 2 hours in the evening to browse ebay and read/research on the web

Between us we've never once hit any of the usage caps, as far as i know never had any warnings about usage and such, and we tend to only get large downloads done during the night as its generally faster anyway

Admitidly back in the blueyonder days we downloaded a fair amount (though it goes without saying, legal content, rather than the latter people mention)

Most of the downloading now is just game patches and such.... can't really be helped if you consider new titles like AoC just to install off the DVD use 30gb space, you can only guess what the patching systems like :P

Anyway, generalizing is bad not everybody with a big connection is a download pirate

p.s. the "trailer" comment is comedy considering virgin media itself is always hosting movie trailers on its own website

p.p.s its also worth bearing in mind recent popular game titles are actually using p2p systems for patch distribution now

one2escape
09-07-2008, 18:09
What about metaboli where you can full download games legally. I am using that with my 20mb connection also. I want to download the trial for LOTR online which is like 8gb. What Virgin need to release is most things will be available now to download as well buy now. You down load a movie on the Xbox or PS network when that kicks off how many gig are they. They are trying to throttle legit users now who are using it for legal things. Since I started Metabloi I have hit the cap a couple of times now. Its getting real annoying now so I am leaving!

Angry@VMedia
09-07-2008, 18:55
Also, I if I remember rightly, DivX's websites do movies that you can pay for, and then download (and you can keep them too) I used to have a LiteOn PVR with a special DivX code that you registered with the website and for a fee per film, you could download, burn & copy to the PVR's hard drive to watch, this is the only thing I used to download movies.

Halcyon
09-07-2008, 19:22
You can also buy and watch Tv programmes on I-Tunes.

Visitor
09-07-2008, 19:36
Great

Looked at http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/ I see they have "rent from" and "buy from", if you select buy from, do you get a DVD or still download it, but can watch/transfer/make DVD out of it, while the rent from, just times out I guess.

Im now finding Im not watching trailers now :) Wasnt that long ago they blamed mobile phones for the loss of movie money :) (People were sending SMS to warn friends the movie was crap) :)

So whats the BBC doing, are they free just go and watch online, or download and watch later? And what about Napster that VM promotes

Are there only music downloads available, wouldnt think so, or are all the movies just ones you can buy from poundland ?

Just a quick one on DVD's http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/ if you didnt know, you can register with them, add a DVD to the watch list, and the price you want to pay.

When someone out there is selling the DVD at your price you get an email

I got the 3 of Clints spaghetti western's for £3.50 each (some double disk) They do games too, got some cheap Wi Games for £10 too.

What I do hate is all the price fixing on new DVD's

I do know if we cant watch trailers, there will be much less DVD's sold. Ive never heard of half of the new movies, and never will buy them, after all you might like the movie, but that dont mean I will.

There was a DivX DVD player, you rented the files, and the player just stopped playing it :) didnt catch on "Circuit City" wasnt it.. Shame it may have been good.

It would be a lot better downloading legal Divx files, then just hacking them :) kidding

I have 3 PC's a Wi and several mobile phones connected to the WI FI, all this shouting and VM dont even provide a means of seeing our download size, even the one VM say to use is no good for all those devices.

Anyway, apart from old movies, old TV is there nothing new out there ?

one2escape, dont go, we will miss you ! and where ever you go, it will be worse !

admars
09-07-2008, 19:43
Some game demos are over 1gb these days, and with products like Steam, it's not unusual these days for ppl to dl whole games legitimately. Or it's possible to l a 1gb demo, play it, hate, so dl another one, hate that etc.

I downloaded openSUSE 11 the other day, to upgrade from openSUSE 10.3, that's about 4gb. A while ago I went through a phase of Linux distro hopping, so was downloading different isos on a regular basis, some CDs some DVDs.

Some ppl like to get involved with the home dev side of things, so could dl nightly builds of an OS, or various software packages.

As mentioned earlier there's loads of Star Wars fan films, Troops as another popular example, http://www.theforce.net/ has loads to keep you entertained. I would guess shows like Star Trek etc have lots of fan films to.

Rone
09-07-2008, 23:31
I wonder what they will call people who will swap to 50meg then?
I also wonder what limits will be imposed on that sooner or later, obviously not immediately, a bit like trying to sell a new car with no engine otherwise.

BloodyL
10-07-2008, 00:10
Steam, Xbox Live, BBC iPlayer, game demos, all of these things soon add up to many gigabytes of legal 20mb usage.

kryogenik
10-07-2008, 00:55
Great

Looked at http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/ I see they have "rent from" and "buy from", if you select buy from, do you get a DVD or still download it, but can watch/transfer/make DVD out of it, while the rent from, just times out I guess.

The DVDs that have a 'buy' option come with a download and they send you the disc in the post too.
The rent' one does expire, yes.

More HERE (http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/dlm/faq/)

Griffin
10-07-2008, 21:34
There are legal torrent sites & freeware sites not to mention linux distros.
There is also a linux torrent site too, just goes to prove you can download stacks perfectly legally. Most commercial software got a freeware example of it available, more often than not a better example too. Only goes to prove you don't have to be a pirate to download loads.

TheNorm
10-07-2008, 22:07
...More HERE (http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/dlm/faq/)

Well this doesn't give me much faith in the site!

Currently we offer 3 download options:
Download to Rent
Download to Own

Visitor
10-07-2008, 22:27
I wonder what they will call people who will swap to 50meg then?

Buccaneers ?

Originally, buccaneer crews were larger, more apt to attack coastal cities
:)

The DVDs that have a 'buy' option come with a download and they send you the disc in the post too.

Oh, so that saves ripping them then ? :)

So what else can we download without having to wait 2 years for the DVD?

Whats new on VM movies ? do they have new stuff ?

Ignatius
10-07-2008, 22:44
---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

I have a subscription to Microsoft Technet Direct.

This allows me to legally download copies of pretty much everything Microsoft produces - as ISOs, complete with 10 user licenses (no expiry, but for evaluation purposes)

That includes every Microsoft operating system from MS DOS 6 up to Windows 2008, as well as all the server apps (Exchange, SQL, ISA, ....) most in x86 & x64 versions, and differing versions for standard & enterprise (plus webserver and small business server versions of the server software)

Should take me some time/bandwidth.

- and I only have 4Mbps :)

confucious
12-07-2008, 11:23
Axe's can be used for axe murdering - If they can't think of any other reason why I would own an axe does that make me an axe murderer?

And does it make Virgin an accessory if they think that the only reason people have 20Mb is to Pirate things? Have they never used the internet for anything more than the odd email? Are they really that stupid? :dunce:

spiderplant
12-07-2008, 11:53
So does anyone here have an application that actually NEEDS 20 meg? Everything mentioned so far could be done on 2 meg; it would just take longer.

Anyone streaming HD video, for instance?

Jelly
12-07-2008, 12:19
Nobody needs 20MB, they just want it. It makes downloads complete faster and enables you to do more simultaneously.

confucious
12-07-2008, 12:43
Most things could be done on a 1200 baud modem....

I am very green and don't want to leave my laptop on all night just to download a file - I want it and I want it now!

(I could just download it on my server or one of my other computers I leave on 24/7 but that would mean either getting up and going into another room or RDPing and I can't be bothered ;))

Visitor
12-07-2008, 16:47
don't want to leave my laptop on all night

:) You should have been around when you left it on 3 days to get something, and even then it was fake :)

Welshchris
13-07-2008, 03:52
I got into an interesting conversation today, while talking to a VM operator, Hi XXXX :)

Well we were discussing broadband speeds, and browsing speeds, what I may need in the future, the new 50Mb BB and eventually started talking about what I download.

The person assumed I was downloading a hell of a lot, because I have 20Mb broadband, else I wouldn’t need it. If I'm downloading a hell of a lot, then it must be a lot of illegal movies I'm downloading :)

Well you know, I didn’t take offence, after all he was friendly, and was putting forward some good points. I argued that programs like P2P software was never developed for illegal use, but his argument was I wouldn’t use P2P to download an iTune, or a home movie made by my uncle :)

So remember now, the fact that you have 20Mb broadband, means your downloading illegal movies. Don’t flame me, I didn’t say it, VM said it :)

However the point of this post, isn’t about that, I was wondering exactly what services are out there, where you can pay per view (Download) or a monthly fee. I know there are plenty for music, but what's available for movies.

So I sign up for a monthly deal with a company, or visit the BBC to watch TV, but still restricted on how much I can download :) but there again I don’t suppose you would want to download much from the BBC ?

So what's out there, what can you subscribe to? Are there any companies offering new movies to download? Are there any cinema deals, I know Orange give their customers a BOGOF for tickets to the Odeon etc..

What else is there ?

Remember now, if you have 20Mb broadband, you are illegaly downloading movies, and its got to stop now, because within a short time (next few years) perhaps less, your going to prison, even if you watch 6Gb of trailers :)

PPS the only reason I have 20Mb is because I got a free upgrade, makes you wonder what they want you to do with 20Mb ?

i would have told him/her to mind their own business and asked to speak to their boss and explained that what i did in the privacy of my home with the service i paid for is none of their damn business and accusations without proof that illegal action is taking place is slander. I once had an argument with a tech support agent when i was on 4mb and they said i was using peer to peer all the time when in fact i was using FTP, a friend of mine is a musician in manchester and im in swansea and when he writes new tracks he allows me access to his FTP to download and give my opinion and he claimed that was in breach of the law, how can that be when the person who wrote the material has given me his permission to have the material lol.

Rik
13-07-2008, 15:20
And we can all manage with Black and White Televisions! ;)
Its call progress guys! ;)

Berealwith
13-07-2008, 15:36

What else is there ?

I still don't see the connection to the title "You're all 20mb Pirates". Are you saying all the people on 20mb are pirates ? or the guy from Virgrim is saying we are ?

Maggy
13-07-2008, 16:07
I still don't see the connection to the title "You're all 20mb Pirates". Are you saying all the people on 20mb are pirates ? or the guy from Virgrim is saying we are ?

Well if you had read it carefully I think you would have got the impression that the OP was poking fun at those who think that most people on the higher tiers of BB are downloading a lot of illegal content..hence the dubiously jokey title.;)

Berealwith
13-07-2008, 16:11
Well if you had read it carefully I think you would have got the impression that the OP was poking fun at those who think that most people on the higher tiers of BB are downloading a lot of illegal content..hence the dubiously jokey title.;)

rgr i'll go with that

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 16:27

Which has made it an amusing thread to read up to now, and I believe that was the OPs intention all the time.:rofl:

SOSAGES
13-07-2008, 19:13
i have 20 meg as they offered it to me for free when i phoned up to get a phone line installed.
come sept im back to 4 (or is it 10 now)

Nicosia
13-07-2008, 22:25
10 if your area has been upgraded

confucious
13-07-2008, 23:27
i have 20 meg as they offered it to me for free when i phoned up to get a phone line installed.

Why go back to a lower rate?

DJ2liveUK
14-07-2008, 17:50
you can watch and download tv episodes from bbc which is good brut they only let you eep it for 30 days but whats good about it what i like about it is that u dont have to sit through adverts when watching shows like top gea

ah there is a way to remove the DRM, google is your friend.

Visitor
14-07-2008, 20:19

Did they say "do you want 20Mb broadband" though ?

I bet they said something along the lines, "if you want to download movies" you will need 20Mb broadband ?

After all the VM website says you can download a movie in xxx min ?

So where are all these movies you can download in xx min I want to know ?

Nicosia
14-07-2008, 21:08
the DRM??

whydoIneedatech
14-07-2008, 21:10
the DRM??

Click this link to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Nicosia
14-07-2008, 21:32
thnx.. wats DRM got to do with anything though from watching streaming videos from the BBC website

SOSAGES
14-07-2008, 22:17
Did they say "do you want 20Mb broadband" though ?

I bet they said something along the lines, "if you want to download movies" you will need 20Mb broadband ?

After all the VM website says you can download a movie in xxx min ?

So where are all these movies you can download in xx min I want to know ?

just offered the free upgrade dunno why as the week before i had phoned to beg for a free upgrade and they said no.

as for why downgrading.
to save money i dont use my 20meg and i am a heavy user i can wait the extra 15 mins for the download.

SMHarman
15-07-2008, 00:18
Lovefilm is the only service I use I can think of that falls into this category you mention. You can download movies from them.
http://www.lovefilm.com/downloads/

I was going to say similar from the other side of the pond. Netflix ondemand option streams high enough quality that I can watch it on my tellybox (42in) so that must be pretty bandwidth heavy.
iTunes HD video files to stream to your appleTV and watch are also huge.
ABC.com and all the others with their HD recap of episodes.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

There was a DivX DVD player, you rented the files, and the player just stopped playing it :) didnt catch on "Circuit City" wasnt it.. Shame it may have been good.The business model evolved into Netflix or LoveFilm.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2008, 00:23

ah there is a way to remove the DRM, google is your friend.

thnx.. wats DRM got to do with anything though from watching streaming videos from the BBC website

The BBC iPlayer site has more than one way of viewing stuff: downloading higher quality stuff to watch at your leisure, or streaming stuff to watch there & then as it downloads.

You mentioned downloading stuff which you can keep for 30 days - it's not the same as streaming, and the downloaded content has DRM (hence the time limit).

Nicosia
15-07-2008, 10:46
i see... i don't download the content i just stream it online its easier then having to wait for it to download then watch it so i just press play and watch it once or twice while its still on the bbc web site, I rather watch it on pc then on the tv so i dont have to sit through the adverts, i only need to watch it once or twice at most and i am happy. I guess some remove the 30 day limit and share the file?

Of course people share illegal files but not everyone uses their fast connection for "illegal downloading"

I heard on the news today BT are going to put millions into rolling out fibre to lots of homes with faster connections

Zain
15-07-2008, 12:52
^ http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39447462,00.htm

heres the article about it aswell

Visitor
15-07-2008, 23:43
I heard on the news today BT are going to put millions into rolling out fibre to lots of homes with faster connections

Thats because the gov told them they have too :) Oh no, not more digging :) well Ive seen them re-thread fiber optics, using the old cable to pull it through. But its going to take years.

So we will all switch back to BT for the 100Mb they will be giving us, for £5 month, with no downlod limits except;

12:00 - 1:00 1G limit
1:00 - 2:00 500K
2:00 - 3:00 200K

4:00PM to 9:00PM 8TB (Just to beat VM) :)

And if they see you downloading legal movies, they will charge you 10 pence per movie (Free with Option 8) by this time DVD's will be £1 each, and come with a "fair use" policy which you have to sign when you buy them.

DRM :) its a joke, huh you can just point your cam at the PC :) then it will be
thelatest-movie.divy.pc.cam.mp5

Of course people share illegal files but not everyone uses their fast connection for "illegal downloading"

No, only 20Mb pirates like I said :)

just offered the free upgrade dunno why as the week before i had phoned to beg for a free upgrade and they said no.

Same here, I rang up about something else, and they asked if I want a free upgrade, and the other day I rang, and they asked if I wanted a Free Netgear WIFI, they sent it, but I already have a 108Mb, this one is only 54Mb, well it was free, might come in handy one day.

CT2kX
16-07-2008, 14:26
:) You should have been around when you left it on 3 days to get something, and even then it was fake :)

now THAT sounds like illegal downloads ;)

Visitor
17-07-2008, 01:16
Says who ? you working for the BPI then ? I was trying to download a movie a mate (Nigal) made in the USA, all about his bad leg, turned out to be a fake movie on cars pulling trailers :) well the sound was there, but video knocked off

CT2kX
17-07-2008, 14:40
now i didnt say it WAS illegal downlads, just said it SOUNDED like it, so chill out man, i mean, even if it WAS illegal, like i care man it aint me doin it is it lol, and no, i dont work for the BPI, back in my teenage years i was one of the worst culprits ever for downloads, but i grew up a bit n realised it aint worth the risk.

Visitor
23-07-2008, 17:58
Ok Nigal

Rone
23-07-2008, 18:20
There's very little risk if you keep things to yourself, however if you open up a market stall selling dodgy dvds etc, you get what you ask for imo. ;)

CT2kX
23-07-2008, 21:15
its spelt nigel, learn ur spelling :p

Maggy
23-07-2008, 22:20
Enough of the baiting please.Be civil to others on the forum.

The Hitman
23-07-2008, 22:33
[QUOTE=Maggy J;34606758]Enough of the baiting please.Be civil to others on the forum.[/QUOTE

Have I missed anything :D

Enuff
23-07-2008, 23:47
now i didnt say it WAS illegal downlads, just said it SOUNDED like it, so chill out man, i mean, even if it WAS illegal, like i care man it aint me doin it is it lol, and no, i dont work for the BPI, back in my teenage years i was one of the worst culprits ever for downloads, but i grew up a bit n realised it aint worth the risk.
How many long years ago was that then? :D

CT2kX
23-07-2008, 23:54
lol i was only having a joke maggy im a nice person trust me, and @ enuff, im 23 in august so a few years, check my lil profile box to the left lmfao xD

akridine
24-07-2008, 00:01
lol i was only having a joke maggy im a nice person trust me, and @ enuff, im 23 in august so a few years, check my lil profile box to the left lmfao xD

What speeds were you on back in your teenage days? I remember the first roll out of ntl: dial up and then thinking 3Mb was shockingly fast.

I'm also 23 and i'd like to say i was pretty naughty downloading all that stuff but in reality I was leaving the computer running for 4 days at a time to download 1 movie, but then I went from 150Kb to 3Mb and my world changed, I was downloading at shockingly fast speeds :P

peanut
24-07-2008, 00:05
What speeds were you on back in your teenage days? I remember the first roll out of ntl: dial up and then thinking 3Mb was shockingly fast.

I'm also 23 and i'd like to say i was pretty naughty downloading all that stuff but in reality I was leaving the computer running for 4 days at a time to download 1 movie, but then I went from 150Kb to 3Mb and my world changed, I was downloading at shockingly fast speeds :P

But back then 1 Gig was a huge amount, oh wait according to VM it still is. :p:

CT2kX
24-07-2008, 00:12
i started out on dial up with aol but got kicked off it for using some text colour changing scripts in the chatrooms then went to 512k back when the broadband was pretty new and it was still NTL, moved up to 1mb with them, and i think i MIGHT of been on 2mb with BT for a while before i stopped all the naughty behaviour lol, soon went back to cable though, damn them adsl days!

Maggy
24-07-2008, 00:29
[quote=Maggy J;34606758]Enough of the baiting please.Be civil to others on the forum.[/QUOTE

Have I missed anything :D

You may if I get bold...;)

akridine
24-07-2008, 00:32
i started out on dial up with aol but got kicked off it for using some text colour changing scripts in the chatrooms then went to 512k back when the broadband was pretty new and it was still NTL, moved up to 1mb with them, and i think i MIGHT of been on 2mb with BT for a while before i stopped all the naughty behaviour lol, soon went back to cable though, damn them adsl days!

You just reminded me, 1Mb was their top speed at one point.

what was the old speeds?

was it

128Kb
dunno what mid tier was
then 1Mb?

I just remembered downloading an MP3 at around 20KBps and thinking woohoo ill get it 4x fast than dial up. lol

Enuff
24-07-2008, 00:36
I remember way way... way way... way back in my 30's when access to't t'internet was gained via four paper cups, six empty bean cans, and several large lenghs of waxed garden string. Them were't days th'knows. ;)

akridine
24-07-2008, 00:41
I remember way way... way way... way back in my 30's when access to't t'internet was gained via four paper cups, six empty bean cans, and several large lenghs of waxed garden string. Them were't days th'knows. ;)

That wasn't the internet, that was a conference call lol

mart44
24-07-2008, 07:30
I've never downloaded a music album or film (old fashioned English for 'movie') but still have a 20Mb connection. It might be a bit wasted on me but it was offered as part of a fixed price package that included the price of UK phone calls and XL TV. The offer came through the post. I went for the deal since the price was pretty near what I was paying for a 4MB connection, 'M' TV and my phone calls.

confucious
24-07-2008, 08:14
There just talking on the radio about a deal between the Music industry and ISPs - they are to send letters to thousands of file sharers... So watch out, you might receive a letter!
(which can be folded into a rather tasteful paper aeroplane).

When I was a teenager it was all LPs and the Internet was just a twinkle in it's parents eyes. I didn't get a modem until my company bought me one in about 1990 (I think) - It was a Dowty Quattro 2400 Baud and cost £799. I think I'd still be downloading my first track if I tried with that.

Enuff
24-07-2008, 08:48
There just talking on the radio about a deal between the Music industry and ISPs - they are to send letters to thousands of file sharers... So watch out, you might receive a letter!
(which can be folded into a rather tasteful paper aeroplane).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7522334.stm

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33636464-britain-s-six-largest-isps-bpi.html

Tiger33
24-07-2008, 13:54
Xbox Live (Games, Updates, HD Films)
Game Demos
Movie Rental Sites
BBC Iplayer Download Manager

there are alot of services out there

not to forget the new service coming from Sky (download unlimited amounts of music for a monthly fee)

confucious
24-07-2008, 14:52
How are the ISP's going to decide who is downloading illegally?

Tarantella
24-07-2008, 15:31
It'll be anyone on 20mb BB I imagine.:erm:

Raistlin
24-07-2008, 15:33
How are the ISP's going to decide who is downloading illegally?

I don't believe they are, the various 'interested parties' will monitor P2P sites and decide what's being downloaded that shouldn't be. They will then inform the ISPs of the IP addresses of those people downloading it, from there the ISPs will issue the warning.

The problem is that it's not in the interests of the ISP to really want to do anything about it, if they do they will end up losing customers.

Nicosia
24-07-2008, 15:58
i think not offering a good upload and the stm thing is doing that already....

Visitor
24-07-2008, 19:04
its spelt nigel, learn ur spelling :p

Ill smell it anyway I want

So, whats all this high speed stuff, I started with an Atari and a 1200 baud modem connected to BBS systems. When 56K came out it was very fast, used a US robotics, then X2, long time before NTL came along.

Those days we downloaded 13k games I think :)

Now, its all over the news, but its all about musc, so we are ok for movies :)

So, are we all going to sign up for this
https://www.relakks.com

Looks like its a way out :)

confucious
24-07-2008, 20:09
Looks like its a way out

Isn't it easier to just not download anything illegally?

Nicosia
24-07-2008, 20:24
apparently some cant do without the Illegal downloads..

Visitor
24-07-2008, 21:54
Nothing to do with illegal or legal so dont accuse people, so get off your high horse, this is all about privacy.

Music, Moves now, what type of pictures next, are the images copyright, pdf files, do you have the right to download them ?

This is just the start

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Ok, here I am (Honest it me) with an IP address of 83.233.183.118 Just signed up for the 30 days free trial of Relakks. In fact at the moment they dont want you to pay :)

Browsing speed is the same, but have not tested many things out :) most things work
£4/month I think it is, but free at the moment.

Now how to get the router to work with it :) and all the firewalls :)

confucious
24-07-2008, 22:08
I like it up here on my high horse.

;)

Visitor
25-07-2008, 18:31
Just one problem with relakks one PC one account, cant set up a tunnel in a router, shame that, but just as long as one PC at a time uses it, it works fine.

dragon
25-07-2008, 18:38
What about metaboli where you can full download games legally. I am using that with my 20mb connection also. I want to download the trial for LOTR online which is like 8gb. What Virgin need to release is most things will be available now to download as well buy now. You down load a movie on the Xbox or PS network when that kicks off how many gig are they. They are trying to throttle legit users now who are using it for legal things. Since I started Metabloi I have hit the cap a couple of times now. Its getting real annoying now so I am leaving!

Sorry to go off topic

Do metaboli games work online against the retail version, do you get a cd key or something :confused:

Was looking into it but I seem to have troubles getting my pc to dual boot xp with vista x64 if I put them both on Vista goes and trashes the MFT and half it's files even if XP wasn't even booted :confused:

Visitor
29-07-2008, 09:31
Anybody know if VB a throttling BitTorrent ?. Testing it out with relakks and I get only 6K downloads.

Kellargh
29-07-2008, 10:07
Surely for all the things mentioned, you don't need 20mb.

8mb is enough to do all the things mentioned, so why do you really need 20mb? I find it funny that they're also rolling out 50mb, which is really advertising to those who download massive amounts which is almost always illegal...just to penalise them.

I run my Wii, PS3 and PC (Steam etc) on a small adsl connection and get no problems :P

downquark1
29-07-2008, 11:41
Close minded fools.

I have 5 people, computer each in my house:

My mother plays the bandwidth heavy second life with VoIP

I like streaming entire episodes of the colbert report and the daily show from the comedy central website. Youtube blogs, blogging heads, Large patches for MMOs, machinima fan movies up to 1gb

My brother like streaming Sport updates from the NFL website (full video)

My stepdad uses the bbc iplayer (again full video)

And my sister typically uses youtube facebook and the rest.

All this on one connection.

Visitor
29-07-2008, 13:49
Downquark, you must stop all of that now, coz your using our bandwidth. I need the full 20Mb so that I can.. um, um browse faster.. nope 50K will do that, um download faster.. nope VM has a limit... um, um

Huh what do I need 20Mb broadband for? Oh yes I forgot, so that I can say Im a 20Mb pirate and be in with the "In Crowd"

No use for anything else

which is almost always illegal

Tut Tut there you go again thinking people only download illegal things

Even VM want you to use Bittorrent
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/digitalhome/advancedguides/bittorrent.php

blade85
29-07-2008, 15:09
lol, funny thread.

my main use of the connection is....online gaming.

1 pc and a ps3 is used for online gaming, while 3 laptops are for regular surfing the net etc.

Angry@VMedia
29-07-2008, 15:25
Downquark, you must stop all of that now, coz your using our bandwidth. I need the full 20Mb so that I can.. um, um browse faster.. nope 50K will do that, um download faster.. nope VM has a limit... um, um

Huh what do I need 20Mb broadband for? Oh yes I forgot, so that I can say Im a 20Mb pirate and be in with the "In Crowd"

No use for anything else

Tut Tut there you go again thinking people only download illegal things

Even VM want you to use Bittorrent
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/digitalhome/advancedguides/bittorrent.php

The thing that makes me laugh:
Imagine that I place a 1Gb video on my website, and you want to download it.

Yes imagine indeed, if you dont have 20Mb, then you will be STM'ed down before you have downloaded three quarters of it, and then for uploading it to others, you will be STM'ed again!

Oh what imaginations the "people" at Virgin have! *sigh*

Nicosia
29-07-2008, 16:16
with the crappy upload and the probably very low download limit before stm'd how many will actully upgrade o the 50mbit? the crap upload and the limit of probably 5GB or 6 if we are lucky

Kellargh
29-07-2008, 16:35
3 people on 3mb in my house, not an issue.

Online gaming, youtube, myspace, facebook, the lot.

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:34 ----------

Close minded fools.

I have 5 people, computer each in my house:

My mother plays the bandwidth heavy second life with VoIP

I like streaming entire episodes of the colbert report and the daily show from the comedy central website. Youtube blogs, blogging heads, Large patches for MMOs, machinima fan movies up to 1gb

My brother like streaming Sport updates from the NFL website (full video)

My stepdad uses the bbc iplayer (again full video)

And my sister typically uses youtube facebook and the rest.

All this on one connection.

Phew! Just think of your energy bills!!

Visitor
29-07-2008, 20:50
Imagine that I place a 1Gb video on my website, and you want to download it.

Would it be anything good ? worth downloading ? legal movie ? Oh I wouldnt upload it to others, Im a leecher...

Now tell me how your going to do that :) it would take a week to upload it at this speed, then your host will stop the upload 3/4 of the way, then send you an email saying your using up too much bandwidth :)

THEN and only then, will VM reduce your speed :)

Im goin to be the first with 50Mb, so I can start a thread "your all 50Mb buccaneers" Then ask them to upgrade me to 1Mb :)

Thats it, the real reason for capping, VM are going green, want you to save energy

Enuff
29-07-2008, 21:18
[snip]

Thats it, the real reason for capping, VM are going green, want you to save energy

I sometimes think that's the reason why gas, electric and petrol/diesel are being increased to stupid unafordable amounts. But that's another thread ;)

downquark1
30-07-2008, 01:37

We have a solar panel on the roof but alas we cannot use it as the company is investigating a possible design flaw.

dragon
30-07-2008, 01:41
We have a solar panel on the roof but alas we cannot use it as the company is investigating a possible design flaw.

What's that, the lack of sunshine in the uk? :p:

i-Set
30-07-2008, 01:44
What's that, the lack of sunshine in the uk? :p:

haha dat made me laugh lol repped

Visitor
30-07-2008, 22:34
So who are all these people getting letters ? Ive not had one ?

Are these people downloading 24/ 7 or something ?

jimpy0
31-07-2008, 15:22
Am now classed as a 20meg pirate, they removed an £8.00 discount i had on my bill and when i rang to ask why was told it was due to billing changes. So asked if she [being C/S] could do anything and was told i could have XL phone and XL broadband for another £1.00 per month. Woohoo downloading what i like even faster for a quid i bit her hand off, so all i says is-- Yo ho ho // polly wants a cracker

confucious
31-07-2008, 17:15
Ooo-Ar Jim lad

Welcome to Pirate land

;)

Visitor
01-08-2008, 10:42
Am now classed as a 20meg pirate

Welcome aboard shipmate, now swab the deck !

was told i could have XL phone and XL broadband for another £1.00 per month.

But for how long, they sometimes forget to tell you its only for 3,6 or 12 months :mad:

Woohoo downloading what i like

Steady as she goes shipmate, you dont want to be scuttled by the landlubbers for your booty, else you be sent to Davy Jones's Locker.

Visitor
10-09-2008, 22:05
metaboli games who ?

Ok, those who are still reading this thread Ive been using Relakks for over a month now, in fact They are still not taking payments, so have extended my free trial until the end of November...

So far, its been 100%. Now if you ask me, its even better for download speed

So VM, you can't say I'm a 20Mb Pirate anymore, because you do not know what Im downloding at all :) and therfore you need to shut up :)

P.S all my downloads are 100% legal, always have been, after all, you wanted me to have 20Mb didnt you?

cook1984
11-09-2008, 19:06
I too have been using Relakks, and I have noticed that it's faster than the unencrypted connection in the evenings when things are usually slow. My guess is that VM is prioritising encrypted traffic (like VPNs) to try and make them seem faster, but because I'm using a VPN now too my downloads become faster as well :)

carl2k2
12-09-2008, 19:23
Is it illegal to download a movie that was made in 70's/80's that the owner has already made over 100billion on it, is it really illegal??, ofcourse but they won't be too bothered since they made as much as they could at the time.,

Or would you say its not illegal to download a movie that has been released on the TV anyway?, since its just the same as recording. anyway

The more speed the more movies or games or applications that people will download no dout, 4mb service is enough for downloading, or going online games etc,

CycoSymz
12-09-2008, 22:20
And don't forget on the 19th of Sep it's International Talk Like A pirate Day...You scurvy land lovers :D

Hugh
13-09-2008, 00:05
Is it illegal to download a movie that was made in 70's/80's that the owner has already made over 100billion on it, is it really illegal??, ofcourse but they won't be too bothered since they made as much as they could at the time.,

Or would you say its not illegal to download a movie that has been released on the TV anyway?, since its just the same as recording. anyway

The more speed the more movies or games or applications that people will download no dout, 4mb service is enough for downloading, or going online games etc,
arf arf - I alway love hyperbole in support of a specious argument.... ;)

Visitor
13-09-2008, 11:29
Is it illegal to download a movie that was made in 70's/80's

UK

Films made before 1 June 1957, when the Copyright Act 1956 (the 1956 Act) came into force are not protected as a film. They are either protected as a dramatic work or as a series of photographs. Broadcasts made before 1 June 1957 were also not protected. In the 1988 Act, separate provision was made for material distributed by cable television providers as a copyright for cable programmes

The copyright of Acts and Measures subsists from Royal Assent until 50 years later. Parliamentary copyright of a literary, musical or dramatic work subsists until 50 years after the making of the work. Crown copyright of published literary, dramatic or musical works expires 50 years after publication. Crown copyright of unpublished works expires the later of 125 years from creation or 31 December 2039

Well there is some rubbish for you, but to answer your question, yes it is illegal.

but they won't be too bothered since they made as much as they could at the time

Oh yes they will, in fact "They" wont be doing the searching, the fact that its a movie, sound track,picture etc means its copyright UNLESS you can prove otherwise :)

"They" have cronies like VM to do the work for them :)

Your showing your flag shipmate, and it be the Jolly Roger

Tarantella
13-09-2008, 16:15
Ah haaaa!

Tis tru!!

One day you wont be even able to post a link like this on these forums.

Professional pirate! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y5u7EjX3fQ)

Visitor
18-09-2008, 17:59
OK, its official !
I am no longer a 20Mb pirate ! Ive downgraded my broadband to 10Mb !

So, you 20Mb pirates are bad boys !

Funny thing is, I just did some tests, and getting 12.3Mb :) and im sure the download speeds aint going to change at all, and since I always wait until 9:00PM

There isnt going to be a change at all, other than the price £37 - £25 :) for 8MB

Now when are they going to upgrade the 2Mb to 4Mb so I can change again...

cook1984
19-09-2008, 22:27
I agree with Visitor, the 20 meg is not worth it at all. The upload speed is two low to realistically allow multiple users, and due to all the congestions and traffic shaping 10 meg is a rarity for downloads.

Since VM basically force you to download stuff over night, you might as well just downgrade to 10 meg since you have to leave the PC on anyway.

Visitor
24-09-2008, 19:13
They keep pointing out the speed you can download, music track in xxxx

But from where ? where on the internet would you get your maximum speed..

You know I had forgot all about the speed change, havent noticed anything change. If they hadnt told me (I did some tests) I would not have noticed..

20Mb is a worthless costly extra that does not provide anything more than 10Mb . They gave me it for free, I would never have upgraded, now they want to charge full price, they can stick it in davy jones locker :) with the rest of the booty

Sirius
24-09-2008, 19:37
They keep pointing out the speed you can download, music track in xxxx

But from where ? where on the internet would you get your maximum speed..

You know I had forgot all about the speed change, havent noticed anything change. If they hadnt told me (I did some tests) I would not have noticed..

20Mb is a worthless costly extra that does not provide anything more than 10Mb . They gave me it for free, I would never have upgraded, now they want to charge full price, they can stick it in davy jones locker :) with the rest of the booty

I can download of the newsgroups at 18mb anytime. ?

Fatec
24-09-2008, 19:38
I can download of the newsgroups at 18mb anytime. ?

Except anywhere between 10am-9pm you naughty naughty boy ;):p::D

Sirius
24-09-2008, 19:41
Except anywhere between 10am-9pm you naughty naughty boy ;):p::D

whats this then :)

Must be in a differant time zone to you :)

Fatec
24-09-2008, 19:47
whats this then :)

Must be in a differant time zone to you :)

Now go download a DVD iso and see if you get the same results back ;)

Love the name of the newsgroup :p:

Sirius
24-09-2008, 20:12
Now go download a DVD iso and see if you get the same results back ;)

Love the name of the newsgroup :p:

Indeed

Visitor
29-09-2008, 01:36
You download from newsgroups at that speed, and VM will be sending you a letter very soon. The point is, you can have 20mb, just so long as you dont use it !

Fatec
29-09-2008, 01:45
You download from newsgroups at that speed, and VM will be sending you a letter very soon. The point is, you can have 20mb, just so long as you dont use it !

*hugs connection*

|Kippa|
29-09-2008, 05:02
Trax are you downloading to a dedicated 100mbit server? Or is that your home connection? If it is your home connection then you are one lucky git. :p

Sirius
29-09-2008, 08:16
You download from newsgroups at that speed, and VM will be sending you a letter very soon.

They have done in the past, I put it in the blue bin with the rest of the junk mail.

Zhadnost
29-09-2008, 10:20
*hugs connection*

Weird the whole downloading at 10MB with the note next to it stating Max 1.25MB.

Fatec
29-09-2008, 18:11
Weird the whole downloading at 10MB with the note next to it stating Max 1.25MB.

Because i've just gone from a 10Mbit back to 100Mbit connection :)

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Trax are you downloading to a dedicated 100mbit server? Or is that your home connection? If it is your home connection then you are one lucky git. :p

Home/Apartment connection.

Visitor
01-10-2008, 02:37
They have done in the past, I put it in the blue bin with the rest of the junk mail.

Well go ahead and ignore it, then ring TS when your cant get any connection, and they say;

Oh you need to phone sales, as your account is closed...

Stabhappy
01-10-2008, 02:56
Trax, who provides your internet access? Would it be similar to that sheffield based ISP that runs LAN's through new buildings?

Druchii
01-10-2008, 06:45
Trax, who provides your internet access? Would it be similar to that sheffield based ISP that runs LAN's through new buildings?
It is that Sheffield based ISP afaik. "Ask4"