PDA

View Full Version : Another Outtage in Portsmouth???

veeemmm
08-07-2008, 21:26
Have we just had another outtage in Portsmouth lasting an hour, affecting broadband and on demand or is this a local issue again? Green flashing light on box.

Stb setting log indicates "Periodic Range Fail" and "Failed to Range". Currently SNR is 37.7 (but have also been 27 and 17 in last 5 minutes), AGC Signal Level 52 and Return Power 47.

This seems to be a common occurence and yes I have wasted plenty of my time with customer support many times. Trouble is it will probably work fine now for another couple of days.

Would requesting a cable modem help? At least I would not have to reboot the stb so many times and the tv seems to have fewer faults.

Really appreciate any help with this (especially if the signal numbers mean anything) as frankly I have wasted enough time with VM/NTL/c+w. If you knew the number of faults and problems over the years you would wonder (as I do) why the heck I am still here. Thanks.

P.S. I am not in Portsmouth but the area they seem to refer to as the Solent.

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 21:37
Have we just had another outtage in Portsmouth lasting an hour, affecting broadband and on demand or is this a local issue again? Green flashing light on box.

Stb setting log indicates "Periodic Range Fail" and "Failed to Range". Currently SNR is 37.7 (but have also been 27 and 17 in last 5 minutes), AGC Signal Level 52 and Return Power 47.

This seems to be a common occurence and yes I have wasted plenty of my time with customer support many times. Trouble is it will probably work fine now for another couple of days.

Would requesting a cable modem help? At least I would not have to reboot the stb so many times and the tv seems to have fewer faults.

Really appreciate any help with this (especially if the signal numbers mean anything) as frankly I have wasted enough time with VM/NTL/c+w. If you knew the number of faults and problems over the years you would wonder (as I do) why the heck I am still here. Thanks.

A cable modem would be a better bet than your present STB because for one you can get up to 20Mb with one and do give a better connection.

Call Customer Services on 150 to ask to upgrade to a modem.

Solent is the Franchise ID for your region.

veeemmm
08-07-2008, 21:48
A cable modem would be a better bet than your present STB because for one you can get up to 20Mb with one and do give a better connection.

Thanks. Would my existing cabling be good for this. I have a cable coming out of the stb into a cat5 type socket on the wall. A cable runs outside the house into another room where there is another cat5 socket which I connect to the computer. Are these sockets still good with the cable modem in the computer room? Also can the cable modem be switched off when not in use without issue?

P.S. When I had a stb replaced a couple of weeks ago the engineer suggested the cable modem route whilst he was checking the settings? I wondered if it was because he thought the signals weren't great?

P.S. I only have the 2Mb and have no need/intention to change this.

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 21:53
Thanks. Would my existing cabling be good for this. I have a cable coming out of the stb into a cat5 type socket on the wall. A cable runs outside the house into another room where there is another cat5 socket which I connect to the computer. Are these sockets still good with the cable modem in the computer room? Also can the cable modem be switched off when not in use without issue?

P.S. When I had a stb replaced a couple of weeks ago the engineer suggested the cable modem route whilst he was checking the settings? I wondered if it was because he thought the signals weren't great?

P.S. I only have the 2Mb and have no need/intention to change this.

The modem should work where ever you want it, you can stay on 2Mb but can upgrade if you feel the need with a modem.

They would prefer all STB internet users to swap to a modem because they are easier to deal with.

You can switch the modem off when not required just let all the lights settle before attempting to browse the internet.

Maggy
08-07-2008, 21:54

I'm in Gosport and my connection has been rock solid all evening.:)

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 21:55
I'm in Gosport and my connection has been rock solid all evening.:)

They have seen you on here and have a special team on standby.:LOL:

soup dragon
08-07-2008, 22:26
i am in town and had no problems all night

veeemmm
08-07-2008, 23:12
So are my signal levels not good? (or can nothing be determined from them) Not had a problem since earlier.

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 23:21
So are my signal levels not good? (or can nothing be determined from them) Not had a problem since earlier.

I do not know much about STB as I am not a NTL Tech, you will need one of them to tell you about the power levels, but my advice is still to upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem.

soup dragon
09-07-2008, 07:11
i used to have all sorts of problems when i was using an analogue stb, not had one since i got a modem(apart from the big stuff everyone gets)