PDA

View Full Version : Upload Speeds

zooloo
08-07-2008, 11:44
Hi all,

Apologies if this stuff has been posted elsewhere, I did a quick search about upload speeds and found nothing.

A mate of mine who is in Ireland just told me he is switching to VM’s 20mb package. He says he’ll be getting 1.5mb upload speed with this package. In the UK we only get 768mb upload speed with the 20mb package.

As a gamer who likes to host servers, upload speed is all important, VM’s upload speeds a quite poor compared to new providers like o2 and Bethere…. Now if they’re offering better uploads in Ireland why not in the UK…. What gives?

many thanks for any info. :)

TraxData
08-07-2008, 11:45
As far as i'm aware they are not, VM only offer 768K upload.

Only place that offers 1.5 is ADSL+2 (Be) And smallworld media (cable)

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 11:53
As far as i'm aware they are not, VM only offer 768K upload.

Only place that offers 1.5 is ADSL+2 (Be) And smallworld media (cable)

Ditto however BE and O2 the speed can vary with distance from the exchange

TraxData
08-07-2008, 11:54
Ditto however BE and O2 the speed can vary with distance from the exchange

Actually no matter the distance you're pretty much guarenteed the upload speed.

It's usually on the download speed which suffers with distance.

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 11:55
Hence the CAN part Traxdata

TraxData
08-07-2008, 11:56
Oh i know, just making a point ;)

It's very rare to be so far away from an exchange to not see those upload speeds though.

zooloo
08-07-2008, 12:00
I was with o2, upload and download where pretty much constant and very good!

moved house and had to switch to virgin... really miffed about VM's upload speeds.... even more miffed that our Irish brothers are getting a better service than us.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Oh i know, just making a point ;)

It's very rare to be so far away from an exchange to not see those upload speeds though.

not that rare, happened to me after a move...

TraxData
08-07-2008, 12:01
I was with o2, upload and download where pretty much constant and very good!

moved house and had to switch to virgin... really miffed about VM's upload speeds.... even more miffed that our Irish brothers are getting a better service than us.

Not on VM they aint.

Small World Media are a good company though, but off the top of my head i cant remember what area's they provide cable to.

Even VM's upcoming 50Mbit has poor upload speeds!

Though none of it is as bad as the all day traffic management.

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 ----------

not that rare, happened to me after a move...

But your with VM cable now, so your not connected to any exchange ;)

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 12:08
I used 20mb and my upload enables me to download and host games never had a lag issue with 786k

TerryTibbs
08-07-2008, 13:36
LOL I would just like to use this thread for a polite rant please......

Do Virgin media or anybody in this country think offering 20mb download speed with a 768k upload speed is totally LUDICRIS, i mean surely there technology supports alot more speed then that i just dont see the logic in limiting us like that.....what the hell is up with that crap and when will they fix the most obvious flaw in british broadband, forget the download speed, 20mb is way enough if you ask me, scrap 50mb lets get some upload speed added for gods sake. God forbid the Uk starts uploading at a decent rate the country would be in real crisis then the economy would collapse and the uk as we know it would just die and it would be total anarchy lol.....SHEEEEEEET!!

Rant over.....Peace :P

zooloo
08-07-2008, 14:08
ok, thanks for your rant, however this thread was not put up so you can have a place to rant, I think we all realise that most ISP's upload speeds are a joke...

the issue is... why is VM offering our Irish brothers more of an upload speed than the UK? Is the infrastructure different?

ceedee
08-07-2008, 14:15
the issue is... why is VM offering our Irish brothers more of an upload speed than the UK? Is the infrastructure different?

They're not.
Your friend has misunderstood the upload speed he'll be getting or has been misinformed by VM sales.

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 14:24
They're not.
Your friend has misunderstood the upload speed he'll be getting or has been misinformed by VM sales.

Perhaps thats the upload speed for a business account?

dev
08-07-2008, 14:36
Perhaps thats the upload speed for a business account?

business is 1mb upload afaik

zooloo
08-07-2008, 15:11
Info given to me by my friend:

Download Speed 3 Mb 10 Mb 20 Mb
Upload Speed 256 Kb 1 Mb 1.5 Mb
Webspace 300 MB 300 MB 300 MB
Usage Limits 20 GB * no cap * no cap
Email addresses Up to 15 Up to 15 Up to 15
Monthly post offer price € 20.00 € 30.00 € 40.00

http://www.upc.ie/internet/

Central
08-07-2008, 15:15
BE do actually offer upto 2.5mb upload

ceedee
08-07-2008, 15:50
UPC are not part of VirginMedia.

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 16:58
well that clears that up

zooloo
08-07-2008, 17:01
It sure does :( ... I cannot actually click on the link myself, my internet filter here at work blocks that site, and many many others :(

Nemeth
08-07-2008, 17:10
UPC are not part of VirginMedia.
Exactly, ntl sold their Irish division back in 2005.

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 17:14
it does make me wonder why virgin media cant offer this on there 20mb package

TraxData
08-07-2008, 17:46
it does make me wonder why virgin media cant offer this on there 20mb package

They can offer 1.5Mbit Maximum on docsis1, 1 would of been OK and in line with ADSL competition (who 90% now offer at least 1Mbit upload).

If they had gone ahead with the upgrades to docsis2 it was planned for us all to have at least 1Mbit upload on lower tiers and upto 4/5 on the top tiers.

But as you know, docsis2 upgrade idea was scrapped because most of the network couldnt handle it (that's what happens when you just buy everyone out instead of building it yourself).

They cant afford a full scale docsis3 ugprade (really, they cant)

That's why you'll only see limited sales of 50Mbit this year (and next) with the first area getting it in december.

They first offered 10Mbit upload on the trials for 50Mbit, that was soon scrapped to 6Mbit (it collapsed under 10, crippled it) which lasted for a about 6 months, then that was scrapped as they opted for cheaper modems so it went down to 1.5Mbit.

As they cant afford to do real upgrades to the network it's very very unlikely we'll see any higher than that (2.5 keep getting thrown about but alex is keen on not offering higher upload speeds as apparently nobody wants it).

Of course, that's despite people telling him they want higher upload (including people on the trials)

STM is currently set for launch with 50Mbit but as i have mentioned before there is talks to remove it and offer it for a much higher price....but even then, once they start getting alot of people signed up they'll STM it.

But let's face it, only stupid people will be signing up for it, you know, the ones who get pulled in by "50Mbit Fibre Optic Broadband!!!" etc.

Anyone serious wont be all that interest (as noted per newsgroups/letters etc, heavy users are not being pulled in by the false marketing, they all ask what the upload is....)

Ignitionnet
08-07-2008, 18:58
I am amused that UPC inherited an awful network from ntl, broadband service was a total bodge in several areas held together by bits of string, single 100Mbit links from CMTS, 2 upstreams per node which have upstreams only going to 25MHz and 450MHz downstreams, that's the network that actually had upstream, and have upgraded it to the point where it can offer a superior service to the Virgin Media / formerly ntl network. Higher upstream, no STM.

I also like this: 'On the first of July new customers where being connected to new higher speeds. The increase in speeds only being announced a few days before hand.'

What, no announcing 2+years before delivering a super fast new service, or advertising upgrades to existing ones and spending a year rolling them out? That'd be a refreshing experience ;)

According to the stats they pass 864,000 homes, and have since acquiring the network spent 300 million euros on overbuilding it for broadband and digital TV. Must be that VM swear word investment at work, and is not far off what Virgin, Telewest and ntl have spend on overbuild on their combined 10 million homes passed network so far in the 00's.