PDA

View Full Version : BB Modem / Router Setup Questions

The doomed
08-07-2008, 12:04
My neighbour has recently had virgin cable installed and is successfully using the broadband service directly from modem to her Vista laptop.

She’s asked me to setup her wireless router however the installation disk I found to be useless and as I’m not familiar with Vista I thought Id set it up on my XP laptop first. I’m asking here before I go in tonight as I need to get this done in one go tonight – long story!

Don’t know model of the modem, however the router is a Belkin F5D7230-4

I have logged into the router, changed the SSID, removed security and changed the admin password. My primary aim is to get the internet going via the router – ill sort out wireless & security afterwards. Router remains on default

Is it now a simple case of plugging the modem into the router? Do I need to configure a VM username and password on the router? – I can’t see where I would do this.

What about settings for DHCP? Do I need to change anything here? Quick note, the router was subject to the reset button being pressed last night, haven’t done any firmware upgrades or anything though.

Also, I’ve read much about cloning the MAC code from the laptop. Does it matter if I do this from my laptop then go to use on hers? Also surely the MAC code from my LAN port will be different from my WLAN card?

ceedee
08-07-2008, 12:35
Before anything else, you need to upgrade the router's firmware (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/belkin.php).

Turn off your modem and pc;
Connect modem to router and router to pc;
Power up modem and wait for the leds to settle;
Power up router and wait for the leds to settle;
Power up pc and check you Network Connections.

Shouldn't be any need to enter username or password, dhcp settings should be default and there's generally no need to specify any MAC codes.

lordy
08-07-2008, 19:03
Only other thing to be aware of is the order when switching things on.

Start with both Modem And router on but connected.
Switch on modem - wait for ready light.
Switch on Router.

If you do the router first, for some reason it myay not pick up the WAN IP from the modem.

The doomed
08-07-2008, 19:15
Thanks folks. Firmware updated. Will pop next door and see how i get on...