PDA

View Full Version : VM wont install even though cable box is present

mrthrax
07-07-2008, 11:32
I am trying to get VM to do an install to a detached rented house that I am moving to. I have made several calls to the VM sales team trying to pursuade them to send an installation engineer out to do an install but they keep insisting that they can't send out an engineer as the property is not listed as having cable available on their database. I have left my details on the spotter answerphone but had no response.

I have checked the postcode checker for my property and indeed my house is not listed as having cable available.

However, my house is at the end of a T-junction with another road where there is cable (confirmed on the postcode checker and my landlord who lives on this road has cable installed) There is a small black CATV box present next to the wall of my house and there is a clear run where they have dug up the tarmac between the box to the green box directly over the road. It appears that they have laid the cable/ducting to my house, but because my house is listed as being on a different road where no cable is installed, they have marked mine as no cable available on their database. The house is aprox 15 years old and there used to be a bungalow on the site (maybe the cable was installed before my house was built?) The front door of my house is actually on the road which has cable.

I have tried several times to pusuade VM of my situation of how the house is located at the end of the road with ducting to the house from a different road but they keep giving excuses such as the cable may have been dug up, the area is marked as not having cable available (the house next door on the T-junction has it and its street name differs to my address). :dozey:

I have yet to receive a call from the spotters. I have just called VM again to enquire if anyone has been and the sales guy told me that if I havn't heard within 5-7 days from the spotters, that this means I can't get cable :rolleyes: how do I know they have actually been? :confused: I have even offered to pay the installation fee even if the engineer finds they cant do the install, but they still won't send someone out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get someone out, or should I just give up and go with the slower ADSL option?

chuzzlemonkey
10-07-2008, 14:52
This is something Virgin need to improve on...

Spotters will attend within the week of you leaving your message, and then contact you if they can install you. For some reason if they can't install you they tend to just not do anything rather than arrange a call to let you know.

It sounds to me like your address has seen analogue TV at some point but the cabling was never upgraded to see digital tv.

From experience its unlikely that you will be able to get the cable services.

Try beyond cable? Slower but it is a good service.

VM Installer
14-07-2008, 03:36
You need a construction team out to you. You said your front door is on the road this could be the problem. VM have on-going battles with local councils for digging permissions.

They will not close down a road to install a single property which is currently a Non Server.

Send me a pic of how close the distribution point is from your home (Green Cab)

As long as the ducting is still intact under the ground then cables can be pulled to your property.

mrthrax
14-07-2008, 20:55
Still no phone call from a spotter... :(

You need a construction team out to you. You said your front door is on the road this could be the problem.

Sorry, I should have said that there is a small garden at the front of the house with a low wall surrounding my house. The cable Tee is up against my garden wall. (a small square 4" by 4" cover with CATV on)

You can see from the image below - I have marked the route in the road where there is a route from the green CAB to the cable Tee at my house.

I tried the postcode and address of the house accross the road from me that is listed as being on a different road (to the right of my house in the picture below) The postcode checker came back saying they can get digital cable?!? But computer says no when I try my house :dozey:

Is it possible that I can only get analog given this situation?

http://www.bloodbat.co.uk/files/house-cable-route-small.JPG

RUSTY
17-07-2008, 15:31
had a similar problem over a year ago,stating that my house number did not exist, lots of phone calls ect. did not help.but this forum did via an ntl member....rep out problem solved.

VM Installer
24-07-2008, 12:48
Your Property can be served with some small construction work. They can use next doors tee and simply channel a minor rout to your property. If i were to turn up to ur house, you would have cable !!

D4VE
31-07-2008, 16:57
I had a similar problem to you, but ive got a new house and luckily my place is next to the main road where the VM cable runs, also close to man hole cover for the cables and green box.

I had no contact from a spotter but thanks to some kind VM workers on here i am being sorted out. A chap has been to look at my house and left his card. also called me to say ring him 3weeks before i want it installed.

Its very poor that i have to come on an internet forum and a tech has to help me out, out of his working hours. If it wasnlt for some of the folk on here. VM would have many less customers.

Hopefully someone will assist you mate. Keep at it.

Mr Mixalot
07-08-2008, 16:08
I would love it is the local sales rep would contact me to resovle my installation issue

I was wrong in thinking I'm the only one who was getting the run around from VM re installation at my new property

ZZJohnSmithZZ
07-08-2008, 16:08
gas main?

Mrbooze
16-02-2011, 18:07
Have a similar issue, rep has been out and an engineer both said its doubtful even though there is a junction box 15 meters from my front door. next door has cable even ready for the street but due to the way in which ntl originally put the line down, it does not run in line and apparently cannot be installed. still waiting to hear from the main engineer.
cant see why they just dont pull a cable through around the drive way's t get to my house. :(

robolots
19-02-2011, 12:17
I had a similar issue where I moved NEXT DOOR after renovating a flat there. Virgin insisted that it wasn't possible for cable to be there even though the door was approx 5 metres away and there was the CATV covers.

My advice is to carry on and insist on someone coming round. I did and when the chap turned up (some sort of network manager) he was horrified by what was happening in customer services not having the right information and Virgin potentially losing customers.

Was all sorted (in the end) with a nice 3 month discount.

Mrbooze
19-02-2011, 13:47
thanks for the advice, i will keep them on there toes till its installed