PDA

View Full Version : Modem freezes - Needs to be power cycled.

Code601
06-07-2008, 10:27
More and more often my modem will stop sending or receiving anything. This does not seem to be related to whether i am using p2p or not. Often it happens during normal web browsing or I will return from being afk with nothing using the connection to find it dead.

Power cycling the modem will return it to working order so I am pretty sure thats the problem. It will show the ready and sync lights and the Ethernet light will behave normally. The modem is the "ntl home 100" and im on the 10mbit. connected to modem via a Linksys WRT54G router using the latest firmware?

Anyone know if this is a common issue with this modem? Can i do anything to stop it or just ring tech support and explain the problem and request a new one?

The account is in my dads name so does he need to ring or can i do it?

Thanks all

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 10:41
More and more often my modem will stop sending or receiving anything. This does not seem to be related to whether i am using p2p or not. Often it happens during normal web browsing or I will return from being afk with nothing using the connection to find it dead.

Power cycling the modem will return it to working order so I am pretty sure thats the problem. It will show the ready and sync lights and the Ethernet light will behave normally. The modem is the "ntl home 100" and im on the 10mbit. connected to modem via a Linksys WRT54G router using the latest firmware?

Anyone know if this is a common issue with this modem? Can i do anything to stop it or just ring tech support and explain the problem and request a new one?

The account is in my dads name so does he need to ring or can i do it?

Thanks all

That modem is getting rather old and will struggle on 10Mb so you do need to call Tech Support and explain as above to them and you should get your modem swapped out.

If the account is in your Dads name just let him know you are calling and that he is there in case the Tech decides thst they want to confirm account details with him.

They are open 24/7 and I have posted contact details below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Code601
06-07-2008, 11:26
Thanks for the info, will call tech support :D

jaycee
06-07-2008, 22:16
The older ambit modems will crash if you use anything that sends a lot of ICMP traffic, such as p2p. My 120 used to crash all the time until it was swapped out for a 200. The 255/256 they now supply is fine.

fluke9
08-07-2008, 11:59
I have just got off the phone with support, and they are sending me out a new modem.

Apparently my old 120 is not really up to it.
And must admit was the nicest call I have had with VM ;) makes a change :D