PDA

View Full Version : BB technical support

Harry56
05-07-2008, 20:39
Are VM still ripping off its customers by charging them a premium rate telephone number for calling BB technical support?

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 20:43
Since 1st June this year, and its now 5th July.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Have you been away:LOL:

marky
05-07-2008, 21:04
Or type virgin media into this ;)
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
It will give you 0800 freephone numbers :):D

Harry56
05-07-2008, 21:07
Wish I had :-)

Thanks for that. It's just that I vowed that if I ever had to call them on their premium rate number then I would leave them and go elsewhere for my BB. But seeing as I haven't had to call them because, in all fairness to VM, their service [here] is very stable and hasn't gone off (so far) I'll review my vow. I'm glad VM came to their senses and hopefully confined the idiot who came up with the "let's rip our customers off when they need technical support" idea to making the coffee.

colin-bennett
05-07-2008, 21:14
Wish I had :-)

Thanks for that. It's just that I vowed that if I ever had to call them on their premium rate number then I would leave them and go elsewhere for my BB. But seeing as I haven't had to call them because, in all fairness to VM, their service [here] is very stable and hasn't gone off (so far) I'll review my vow. I'm glad VM came to their senses and hopefully confined the idiot who came up with the "let's rip our customers off when they need technical support" idea to making the coffee.
I do hope they are making coffe,,,,In some one else's business

r00t
05-07-2008, 21:31
I really wish I could post the figures of unsupported issues that now come into the centre.

To give you an idea its as it was when VM were NTL/Telewest and free phone. You wait longer for your call to be answered because agents are trying to educate customers that norton, zone alarm, firefox, 3rd party routers are nothing to do with VM.

For one, I'd welcome back the premium rate number.

Harry56
05-07-2008, 21:47
At the prices that VM charge compared to other BB providers then they could easily employ more "technical" support people to educate customers.

r00t
05-07-2008, 22:07
Why should VM educate people, they have a wealth of knowledge right here. (www.google.com) For VM issues, you know simple things like setting up OE to work with VM here. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/)

The simple truth is Harry that Telewest/NTL have set expectations to the customer, " Got a computer? Call us and we'll hold your hand for free"

Now customers with genuine issues wait to have their issue addressed, while TSC agents battle to get rid of the pratt who won't accept that its not a VM issue and wants to speak to a manager.

piggy
05-07-2008, 22:38
:Yes:

Why should VM educate people, they have a wealth of knowledge right here. (www.google.com) For VM issues, you know simple things like setting up OE to work with VM here. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/)

The simple truth is Harry that Telewest/NTL have set expectations to the customer, " Got a computer? Call us and we'll hold your hand for free"

Now customers with genuine issues wait to have their issue addressed, while TSC agents battle to get rid of the pratt who won't accept that its not a VM issue and wants to speak to a manager.

Stuart
05-07-2008, 23:00
I really wish I could post the figures of unsupported issues that now come into the centre.

To give you an idea its as it was when VM were NTL/Telewest and free phone. You wait longer for your call to be answered because agents are trying to educate customers that norton, zone alarm, firefox, 3rd party routers are nothing to do with VM.

I've heard that from a few tech support people (both in Virgin Media and outside). The problem is that a lot of people just phone the first phone number they can to get in touch with someone.

For instance, I work in a Uni. Taking phone calls isn't the main part of my job, but about 30% of the calls I take (at a conservative estimate) are for deparments within the Uni that I have no connection with.

A friend works for her local council (in the road safety department). She gets calls for everything from a block toilet in a council house to complaints about council tax..

Also, there are the people who phone up just for a chat (it happens more than you think).

I have to admit, I can see both sides. While I don't believe a customer should pay to report a fault in a service they already pay for, I can also see that unnecessary calls to the helpline wastes company resources, and slows down the service for legitimate queries.

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 23:04
Why should VM educate people, they have a wealth of knowledge right here. (http://www.google.com) For VM issues, you know simple things like setting up OE to work with VM here. (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/)

The same pratts that r00t is talking about get very upset when we try to give them Belkins support number and ask why can't we deal with it instead, if it was 25p a minute the pratt would not call.;)

marky
05-07-2008, 23:14
People are let loose with a pc and have no idea how things work, I'm getting fed up of fixing pc's that the user has deleted half the o/s because they install multiple av and spyware programmes and dont have a clue how to use them :rolleyes:
One put blue tack in all the usb ports because she was told thats where a virus gets in :dozey:

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

The same pratts that r00t is talking about get very upset when we try to give them Belkins support number and ask why can't we deal with it instead, if it was 25p a minute the pratt would not call.;)
Not really fair on the legit caller is it :rolleyes:

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 23:34
They call in saying that they cannot get online.

Tech: Open up your internet please .................silence!

Tech : Hello can you please open up the internet!

Caller : How do I do that! they say

Tech : Can you see a blue E on your screen?

Caller : No its black, did you want the computer switched on?

Tech : Yes please, can you switch it on please.

Caller : OK I am switching it on now.

Caller : 10 minutes later! they say OK its on.

Tech : Can you go on the internet please!

Caller : How do I do that?

Tech : Remember earlier I said click on the blue E!

Caller : Does it say internet explorer on it?

Tech : yes?

Caller : OK I've clicked it, and it says page cannot be displayed.

Tech : OK can you close that page down please.

Caller : how do I do that?

Tech : Can you see the red X in the top right corner of the screen! hover the mouse pointer over it and left click.

Caller : I am doing that and it says close but it won't

Tech : You need to press the left mouse button.

This goes on for a further 10 minutes during which time the caller somehow manages to switch his computer off instead of closing the page!.

Advised to get some help from a friend or neighbour and callback.

Calls like this are real and people like that have computers and you know they should not, and we have to try and deal with them.

marky
05-07-2008, 23:49
The problem is that some people think its like a games console that you just reboot if there is a problem, the likes of pc world dont help with there net ready packages and zero info on what its all about.
I still think tech support should be free and them people should be just put on hold for a month.

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 23:52
People are let loose with a pc and have no idea how things work, I'm getting fed up of fixing pc's that the user has deleted half the o/s because they install multiple av and spyware programmes and dont have a clue how to use them :rolleyes:
One put blue tack in all the usb ports because she was told thats where a virus gets in :dozey:

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Not really fair on the legit caller is it :rolleyes:

If it was Virgins fault the call charges were refunded everytime by me.;)

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

The problem is that some people think its like a games console that you just reboot if there is a problem, the likes of pc world dont help with there net ready packages and zero info on what its all about.
I still think tech support should be free and them people should be just put on hold for a month.

Good idea because they would not notice and go back to watching eastenders instead of calling us.:LOL:

Angry@VMedia
05-07-2008, 23:55

Maybe instead of slating the "pratt" users of computers, you should really be slating the PC shops these "pratts" buy them from!

Surely it is in the PC shops own interests to make sure the buyer knows about what they are buying, and how to use it

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 23:57
> Dear IT department,
>
> My printer does not work any longer.
>
> What error message did you get?
>
> No error message, my mouse is stuck.
>
> Your mouse is stuck ?
>
> That does not have anything to do with the printer !
>
> Just a moment, let me take a photo.
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/6cqkrxz.jpg

hope the link works

marky
06-07-2008, 00:00
Maybe instead of slating the "pratt" users of computers, you should really be slating the PC shops these "pratts" buy them from!

Surely it is in the PC shops own interests to make sure the buyer knows about what they are buying, and how to use it
Would you buy a car if you didnt know how to drive?
That is the problem with pc users, most just buy, plug and play and expect it to just keep working :rolleyes:

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 00:04

Let all PC shops be required to have all potential customers take PC competency test with a £10 charge to the customer.

1 : The customers would not pay and the stores would lose money

2: as above

r00t
06-07-2008, 00:11
Go the extra mile and make mention that libraries have books on computers, some even do free computer courses. ;)

Angry@VMedia
06-07-2008, 00:22
Would you buy a car if you didnt know how to drive?
That is the problem with pc users, most just buy, plug and play and expect it to just keep working :rolleyes:

Let all PC shops be required to have all potential customers take PC competency test with a £10 charge to the customer.

1 : The customers would not pay and the stores would lose money

2: as above

Well its better than labeling computer users as "pratts" which is NOT called for what so ever!
Maybe they are experienced PC users, but have switched from dial-up to broadband, or never had internet on their PC's before!

Maybe their old PC only had Windows95 (or below) on and they upgraded, now how are they supposed to know that they might have connectivity problems? oh i forgot, they use their crystal ball just like YOU do!!

Maybe instead of critisising people that know LESS than yourself, maybe take pity and have the patience to explain to them, not EVERYBODY knows EVEYTHING there is to know, maybe you should remember this!!!

And IF you bought a BRAND NEW car, I'm sure you would expect it to "keep working" but others might not, this is why this world is so fascinating, no 2 people think the same, if EVERYONE thought the same and knew EVERYTHING then this world would be boring!

*waits for the insults from other users*

marky
06-07-2008, 00:27
Well its better than labeling computer users as "pratts" which is NOT called for what so ever!
Maybe they are experienced PC users, but have switched from dial-up to broadband, or never had internet on their PC's before!

Maybe their old PC only had Windows95 (or below) on and they upgraded, now how are they supposed to know that they might have connectivity problems? oh i forgot, they use their crystal ball just like YOU do!!

Maybe instead of critisising people that know LESS than yourself, maybe take pity and have the patience to explain to them, not EVERYBODY knows EVEYTHING there is to know, maybe you should remember this!!!

And IF you bought a BRAND NEW car, I'm sure you would expect it to "keep working" but others might not, this is why this world is so fascinating, no 2 people think the same, if EVERYONE thought the same and knew EVERYTHING then this world would be boring!
You quoted me as saying they are pratts??
All I said is people should not be let loose on the net without knowing how things work.

Angry@VMedia
06-07-2008, 00:30
You quoted me as saying they are pratts??
All I said is people should not be let loose on the net without knowing how things work.

I appologise, as I must have got my threads messed up, flip knows how!

See, I DO know when I am wrong, and not only do I admit I am wrong, but I apologise after too!

So once again, this must be a case of wrong thread (it happens when you have loads of tabs open occasionally!)
:)

r00t
06-07-2008, 00:31
You'll find I used the word "pratt" first.

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 00:33

I am calling a specific type a Prat, because your example for instance knows how to use a PC, the type mentioned in my long post are the ones I mean.

I am very patient with customers and if need be will take my time because the call can be long and the challenge is to rectify the fault if possible, I am just pointing out that we do get ones that are nigh on impossible, and even then I will try to work around their skills.

You never take pity on a caller because the moment you do that, is the moment you start talking down to them, and that will never get the fault fixed.

Angry@VMedia
06-07-2008, 00:33
You'll find I used the word "pratt" first.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere around here lol!

Now my head hurts, I think that means I need some sleep

Stuart
06-07-2008, 00:40
If it was Virgins fault the call charges were refunded everytime by me.;)

Although with some CS agents, it could be quite hard to get them to accept it is a fault with Virgin's equipment. I had this when I first had broadband, was on the phone 45minutes (after a 20 minute wait in the queue) explaining that my PC was fine so my lack of broadband was not due to my PC. As it turns out, the STB was on the way out.

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 00:45
Although with some CS agents, it could be quite hard to get them to accept it is a fault with Virgin's equipment. I had this when I first had broadband, was on the phone 45minutes (after a 20 minute wait in the queue) explaining that my PC was fine so my lack of broadband was not due to my PC. As it turns out, the STB was on the way out.

I can quite believe that, but is was not my money and as long as the fault was proved in the callers favour, i.e : A fault with Virgins equipment or the Network then I always refunded the call charges.;)

Maggy
06-07-2008, 00:55
Then there are the techies who ignore everything you say assuming that you don't know enough to have already done all the tried and tested routines to get your BB back...and so as to try and cut short the arguments you just go through the check and tick everything option to be told you need an engineer which was pretty much what you figured before you phoned because you already tried everything you just had to do, before you phoned..:)

However I respect technicians,it must be very soul destroying at times and I never become abusive and I'm always polite..:)

moaningmags
06-07-2008, 02:34
I've doing tech support for 4 years now, 1 with AOL, and almost 3 with Telewest/VM and I still love it, yes I know it's sad but I do. For me, it's the variety that does it. Rarely are two calls the same.
I always try and educate a customer, with new installs I always have them save selfcare and webmail to their favourites, if it's been a long call due to the customer having no comp knowledge at all, I show them the help pages that has loads of stuff on it.
Bring back bluetorials, they're probably still there but I can't find them and I work for VM.

But you always get at least one or two a day who want their hand holding through everything including installing security software, setting up Outlook Express, how to use the internet AND setting up their shiny new Belkin/Linksys/Netgear router and get stroppy when I tell them I have no clue how to set them up other than telling what cable goes where.
On the other side I listen into agents and struggle to not go and take the headset off them and do the troubleshoot myself because I've sussed out what's wrong way before they have, but I behave and go tell them where they are going wrong.

In the same way we have customers who think they know it all and have done it all before calling in, we have arrogant agents who think they know it all too.

Do I know it all? Not a chance, but I learn something new every day about the job I do and that's probably what's held my interest for so long.
And I've learned a lot more since coming here.

Harry56
06-07-2008, 09:50
I wonder if it's common for VM employees view VM customers as "pratts". It may go someway in explaining their ranking in the CS league table. As I said thankfully I haven't had to ring the other side of the world just to listen to someone reading off a pre-prepared script of what to do in the event of a customer (aka pratt) calling up requesting technical assistance. Perhaps this VM "pratt" has just been lucky!

Oh what it must be like to be so knowledgeable about things so technical :D

Maggy
06-07-2008, 10:10
Could we please avoid the use of the word pratt in relation to anyone.It is not a kind word and doesn't really reflect well on CF and on technicians from VM who do come here and offer help in their off duty time.

Don't make me have to put this in bold.;)

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 10:55
I wonder if it's common for VM employees view VM customers as "pratts". It may go someway in explaining their ranking in the CS league table. As I said thankfully I haven't had to ring the other side of the world just to listen to someone reading off a pre-prepared script of what to do in the event of a customer (aka pratt) calling up requesting technical assistance. Perhaps this VM "pratt" has just been lucky!

No Harry I never refer to any callers as a prat ( final use here ) I only used itin context on this thread as the word had already been used by another poster, and my long post #13 in this thread is not uncommon to any CSR.

I will always endeavour to help any customer no matter how long it takes, because they called in for a reason and that reason is to get some help.

I and many of my colleagues enjoy our work and feel good when we get a person up and running who thinks they do not have a clue but have followed our instructions and surpass their own expectations of themselves by getting back online.

I really do try my best to get the people back online that really do not have a clue and stay on the phone with them and never hang up on them.

I have read posts where people say they get hung up on by the CSR, I would never do that unless the caller became abusive and I had warned them a few times, and this would go into their notes.

r00t
06-07-2008, 10:59

You'd be surprised at the amount of customer facing employees and I don't just mean VM or call centres here. Shop assistants and the like who share stories of conversations about that challenged customer they had dealings with. It help them/ us through the day ;)

I wonder if its common place for VM customers to view the agent they are speaking to as being " the other side of the world" and "reading from a pre - prepared script"
Glass houses and stones, Harry ;)

We have the non tech user, most likely their first PC,
they follow instruction, all be it slowly and go away happy and with new knowledge. ( God love em' ) :)

We have the tech savvy,
had computers for years, build websites, networked 6 computers.
Relaying/ bouncing mails from one server to another.
I find these a pleasure to work with, we can relate on a tech level, however, in my experience the tech savvy callers I have spoken with have made a simple mistake in their setup and so really this was no issue with VM and a waste of VM time.

And we have technologically challenged,
had a computer for a few years, managed to setup or had someone set up a router for them.
All troubleshooting points toward the router being at fault.
No connection with router in place, direct modem connection is fine.
"Its not my router, I've had this for 5 years, I got it off my mate. I want to speak to your manager"

All diagnostics point to firewall.
Can ping via url, ip, no static ip etc....
Internet explorer is being blocked at an application level.
"Its not my Norton, its never done this before, I want to speak to your manager."

We seem to have digressed Harry, having gone from:

Are VM still ripping off its customers by charging them a premium rate telephone number for calling BB technical support?

To a discussion on the technologically challenged and how they are viewed by the unfortunate agent taking the call.

If your waging for something Harry, we can do this mano a mano (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/private.php?do=newpm&u=22557).

Harry56
06-07-2008, 11:35
Don't VM have call centres which offer "technical" support in India (lat~15deg N, long ~75deg E) anymore? It has been a long time since I had reason to call "technical" support due to the very stable service I get from VM.

One thing I do wish VM wouldn't do is throttle back on customers' speeds which they pay good money for. Imagine the outcry if you went into a pub and asked for a pint and only got a half but had to pay for a pint and the reason given was that there were too many people in the pub drinking the beer! You should get the speed you pay for.

H56
Living in a glass house surrounded by lots of stones :D

Maggy
06-07-2008, 11:38
Please stick to the topic of BB technical support.There are plenty of threads about STM to post in already.

r00t
06-07-2008, 11:53
Yes Harry VM do have call centres which offer "technical" support in India (lat~15deg N, long ~75deg E)

And in Scotland, Wales and Liverpool these centres also have agents with 'Indian' accents.

Your question has been answered Harry. No VM do not charge for tech support, if calling from a VM landline.

Harry56
06-07-2008, 11:56
Please stick to the topic of BB technical support.There are plenty of threads about STM to post in already.

Please excuse the ignorance of a mere minion here but what's STM :dunce:

r00t
06-07-2008, 11:58
S.T.M (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html)

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 12:00
Please excuse the ignorance of a mere minion here but what's STM :dunce:
I am UK based with a Liverpool Accent.

See Link for STM

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Harry56
06-07-2008, 12:13
Yes Harry VM do have call centres which offer "technical" support in India (lat~15deg N, long ~75deg E)

And in Scotland, Wales and Liverpool these centres also have agents with 'Indian' accents.

Your question has been answered Harry. No VM do not charge for tech support, if calling from a VM landline.

But do charge if you prefer not to have a VM phone albeit an 0845 rate which is of no help to people who have a fixed price phone package BUT it is an improvement on their rip-off rate which applied to all.

As far as accents are concerned when I've had to make use of VM's "technical" support I've always struck up a nice conversation with the call centre operative I've dealt with and as such ascertained their geographical location and in each case it has turned out to be lat~15deg N, long ~75deg E. That's not to say that everyone who calls VM's "technical" support will be put through to that geographical location. I can only give my experience.

;)

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

I am UK based with a Liverpool Accent.

See Link for STM

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

I presume that T= Traffic and M= Management but I can't quite see what the S stands for.

Cobbydaler
06-07-2008, 12:16
Subscriber

Back to the thread topic of BB Technical Support please