PDA

View Full Version : Your tier and download types?

mcgeezer
03-07-2008, 20:21
After seeing VM get airplay tonight on the national news about how they're combating illegal filesharing, I'd be interested to know how many people here actually use torrents/newsgroups and what tier they're on.

Naturally you don't have to participate, I just want to try and gage how many customer will either downgrade to the lowest tier or move ISP if they get a warning letter from VM.

I for one as a newsgroup downloader would move from the top tier to the bottom tier and think about moving ISP altogether.

McGeezer

AbyssUnderground
03-07-2008, 20:45
All my huge file downloading is done on a dedicated server with a 100Mbps connection which I then download via 4096bit SSL SFTP at my full 10Mbps. It works out to be about 10x quicker than doing it directly to home.

xspeedyx
03-07-2008, 20:56
All my huge file downloading is done on a dedicated server with a 100Mbps connection which I then download via 4096bit SSL SFTP at my full 10Mbps. It works out to be about 10x quicker than doing it directly to home.

How do u get a server that quick?

chickendippers
03-07-2008, 21:24
Pretty much anywhere; The Planet (http://www.theplanet.com) will do a 100Mb uplink on most servers.

i-Set
03-07-2008, 21:27
are these servers free and how do these sever stuff work, im on 20mb xl package. I would love 100mb...advise guys

SnoopZ
03-07-2008, 22:23
I'm on 20mbit and i pay to download from Newsgroups for most things.

r00t
03-07-2008, 22:26
20Mbps and FTP.

homealone
03-07-2008, 22:26
are these servers free and how do these sever stuff work, im on 20mb xl package. I would love 100mb...advise guys

I believe AbyssUnderground meant he pays for a dedicated high bandwidth server which is occasionally used to join torrents?

Once the file is completely available on the server, he then uses his VM download to get it on the pc at home, using a secure FTP link.

It is a clever way of avoiding the slow VM upload when using torrents - but won't be free, so I imagine AbyssUnderground has other uses for the kit he is paying for :)

I voted, btw - 20Mb / newsgroups only :)

alt3rn1ty
03-07-2008, 22:42
<20mb mostly used for families browsing and communication needs, and remotely solving long distance family/friends computer problems... no filesharing or feeds.

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 12:13
I believe AbyssUnderground meant he pays for a dedicated high bandwidth server which is occasionally used to join torrents?

Once the file is completely available on the server, he then uses his VM download to get it on the pc at home, using a secure FTP link.

It is a clever way of avoiding the slow VM upload when using torrents - but won't be free, so I imagine AbyssUnderground has other uses for the kit he is paying for :)

I voted, btw - 20Mb / newsgroups only :)

Correct. It runs my websites, e-mail and such, so I use it for big downloads when I need to. The 4096bit SSL SFTP means nobody can ever find out what I'm downloading, not even VM :) It would take every computer in the world about 1 year to crack the 4096bit encryption.

Axegrinder
04-07-2008, 12:47
I'm on 2mb, I use torrents mainly (sorry BPI). :p:

rossdagley
04-07-2008, 13:00
Before I vote, I want to know is the sole purpose of this thread to inform VM (and the BPI obviously) of customers primary downloading habits? what with the recent monitoring of P2P usage, is highlighting our usage of newsgroups such a good idea?

eth01
04-07-2008, 14:02
Correct. It runs my websites, e-mail and such, so I use it for big downloads when I need to. The 4096bit SSL SFTP means nobody can ever find out what I'm downloading, not even VM :) It would take every computer in the world about 1 year to crack the 4096bit encryption.

This isn't anything new. I do the same, occasionally.... :)

TraxData
04-07-2008, 14:09

Ditto except *1Gbit connection and 5TB raid Array :cool:

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

You can get cheap enough 100Mbit servers for around £20/month, just dont expect great support etc.

A real dedi sets you back 100-500/month however :)

rossdagley
04-07-2008, 14:19
I own a co-located box and host it for £50 a month in Redbus. Co-location of your own gear is a good option. Dual 100mbit, 5IP's, 1Tb a month bandwidth allowance. My own box isn't mind-blowing spec (dual P4 xeon 3ghz, 4gb ram, 2x500gb sata's RAID0) but its a web/game server mostly. Also handles mail, dns, etc. Does see the occasional torrent or newsgroup download though ;)

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 14:53
www.ovh.co.uk £23.50 for their cheapest server.

Celeron 1.2GHz
1gb RAM
250GB HD
100Mbps unmetered
Note: Windows costs £10/month extra

A bargain, and it really works. I lease one to a friend.

Impz2002
04-07-2008, 15:09
i can vouch for OVH they are a really good provider!

Impz

|Kippa|
04-07-2008, 15:19
I have a dedicated server with OVH as well. Incredible value for money, if only VM could provide that sort of bandwidth.

TraxData
04-07-2008, 15:42
www.ovh.co.uk £23.50 for their cheapest server.

Celeron 1.2GHz
1gb RAM
250GB HD
100Mbps unmetered

Yep, they will cut you off if they find out ur using it for illegal purposes though, with no warning i might add :)

eth01
04-07-2008, 16:39
Ditto except *1Gbit connection and 5TB raid Array :cool:

A real dedi sets you back 100-500/month however :)

You must be kidding.

TraxData
04-07-2008, 16:43
You must be kidding.

Nope, but it's used for more than torrenting/usenet *cough*rootbox*cough* ;)

eth01
04-07-2008, 16:47
i can vouch for OVH they are a really good provider!

Impz

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=251

:LOL:

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Nope, but it's used for more than torrenting/usenet *cough*rootbox*cough* ;)

Aye. You make sense now. hiya btw. :)

danielf
04-07-2008, 16:49
I download very little, but @ £18 the 24MB (16 MB actual speed) that I get from Be does me well. I could save £4 a month by dropping to the 8 MB 'Value' tier, but I like having the speed when I do download/stream.

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 16:50
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=251

:LOL:

That was a while back when they introduced the new range and they had so much demand for it they ended up with 2 week backlog.

Yep, they will cut you off if they find out ur using it for illegal purposes though, with no warning i might add :)

Really? Why do around 15% of OVH servers act as full time seed boxes then? ;) OVH don't care, as long as nobody snitches on you :P

eth01
04-07-2008, 17:15
That was a while back when they introduced the new range and they had so much demand for it they ended up with 2 week backlog.

Really? Why do around 15% of OVH servers act as full time seed boxes then? ;) OVH don't care, as long as nobody snitches on you :P

I can see their internal network getting very congested at times?

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 18:23
I can see their internal network getting very congested at times?

They have 360Gbps of transit and peering so its never hit 100%. :) http://weathermap.ovh.net has their topology and link loads on it. Teleglobe is overdue an upgrade, and LINX (the France to UK link) is due another 10Gbps link added to it this week from what I have heard.

TraxData
04-07-2008, 19:57

They cut loads of people off just recently ;)

Quite a few members at a tracker i visit were complaining about it as they just closed the account/deleted files without warning :p:

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 23:00
They cut loads of people off just recently ;)

Quite a few members at a tracker i visit were complaining about it as they just closed the account/deleted files without warning :p:

Ah well maybe they're cracking down on it then. I know the OVH staff quite a bit as I've been helping out on their forum since March (currently the highest post count ;)). I even made a help document outlining most of the stuff people will need to know and even their SLA and noSLA agreements in a way any monkey could understand. My server has been flawless however, I have
112d, 22h, 38m, 1s uptime :) And thats a (would you believe!) a Windows server :)

All fun stuff though. I think they're cutting off the torrenters in an aid to avoid upgrading and costing it more than it should. Just think, a thousand or so boxes seeding at close to 100Mbps 24/7... thats some serious bandwidth use.

TraxData
04-07-2008, 23:06
Yep totally agree, great company overall, with the sort of prices they offer though you have to wonder just how long that can last.

From what i recall they cut those seed boxes off because they got contacted by RIIA.

AbyssUnderground
04-07-2008, 23:11
Yep totally agree, great company overall, with the sort of prices they offer though you have to wonder just how long that can last.

From what i recall they cut those seed boxes off because they got contacted by RIIA.

Yeah I was stunned at the prices too.

From my experience they don't care what people do on their boxes unless they get a complaint. In this case it seems they have so they would have to shut them down by request. Otherwise, they just leave them be.

Rik
05-07-2008, 18:32
20MB and I use TL mainly for bittorrent, and GN for Usenet ;)

Rik
19-07-2008, 22:50
www.ovh.co.uk (http://www.ovh.co.uk) £23.50 for their cheapest server.

Celeron 1.2GHz
1gb RAM
250GB HD
100Mbps unmetered

Ordered ;)

I hope they are worth their salt :D

AbyssUnderground
20-07-2008, 13:36
Ordered ;)

I hope they are worth their salt :D

Lets hope so or I'm going to be in your bad books :erm: :D

Quickie reminder, if you got windows for crying out loud do a windows update first and get an updated NIC driver if it offers one!

Zhadnost
21-07-2008, 11:46
These all sound like a bargain (assuming they're not virtual hosts), whatever happened to all the hosting price rises we saw a year ago (blamed on electricity price rises).

I'm paying £49/month to uk2 iirc.

AbyssUnderground
21-07-2008, 17:04
These all sound like a bargain (assuming they're not virtual hosts), whatever happened to all the hosting price rises we saw a year ago (blamed on electricity price rises).

I'm paying £49/month to uk2 iirc.

They are real hosts or they wouldn't call it dedicated servers and offer VDS's as well ;)

Actually they offer dedicated (so a full real server), real private server (RPS) which is a dedicated server but shared iSCSI hard disk, and VPS, virtual private server which is of course virtual.

Rik
21-07-2008, 17:14
Well the service received soo far, is first class and very happy with the server :)

Done a quick speed test on a LEGAL torrent and got 11MB/s ;)
Nice.......

PS I cant believe how quick the turn around was for setting up the server, and on a SAT evening, took 35mins from order to logging into my server ;)
Now that is fast.

RealDiamond
21-07-2008, 17:46
use FTP, HTTP, P2P, AFP, HTTPS, Don't use newsgroups why pay newsgroups to download at 10Mb/s when its free to download at 10Mb/s off servers for nothing.

AbyssUnderground
21-07-2008, 18:58
Well the service received soo far, is first class and very happy with the server :)

Done a quick speed test on a LEGAL torrent and got 11MB/s ;)
Nice.......

PS I cant believe how quick the turn around was for setting up the server, and on a SAT evening, took 35mins from order to logging into my server ;)
Now that is fast.

Yes they are excellent at turn around times. Just make sure you use 4096bit SSL FTP when transferring to home :)

By the way that data center has a direct link to Virgin as well so speeds should be perfect.

fryster2005
26-07-2008, 20:27
Yes they are excellent at turn around times. Just make sure you use 4096bit SSL FTP when transferring to home :)

By the way that data center has a direct link to Virgin as well so speeds should be perfect.

First time I've really looked into this, can you access files direct from the servers to your P.C? i.e download a legal movie file to the paid for server and play it back straight to your p.c without having to ftp it.

If you ftp it to your P.C then it would be subject to virgin's awful caps? Have been using newsgroups up to now.

AbyssUnderground
27-07-2008, 19:27
First time I've really looked into this, can you access files direct from the servers to your P.C? i.e download a legal movie file to the paid for server and play it back straight to your p.c without having to ftp it.

If you ftp it to your P.C then it would be subject to virgin's awful caps? Have been using newsgroups up to now.

It doesn't matter what transfer method you use, you will still be STM'ed after whatever your tier limit is. Nothing can get around it. All data is counted.

You can use whatever method you want to get the file to your PC since you get root access, e.g you can remote desktop into it and see the desktop like it was a PC sat next to you.

Word of warning. Change the root password and remove all other user accounts or OVH will randomly log into your server. A friend of mine who has had all of his servers logged in to by someone he suspects was almost definitely OVH.

If you change the password they can't get into it anymore but they also don't complain because you're not supposed to know they're doing it (and they shouldn't be doing it).