PDA

View Full Version : Router sync but no wireless Internet - Netgear WGR614

Kikkoman
03-07-2008, 12:32
Network make-up:

VM coaxial Cable -> ntl: Modem -> Netgear Wireless Router -> Wifi PCs (strong signal, network name shows up but no Internet)

Router setting (mostly default): DHCP

Security setting: WEP

Router firmware: latest

Situation:
- I can access to the Internet via [Modem + LAN cable] but no Wifi.
- Ping (to www.google.com) from Wifi PC > no response.
- I had the same problem with Linksys and out of desperation, got Netgear only few days ago. For the first 3 days the Netgear worked fine but now the same problem has come back.

VM has no disruption report in my area during this period.

I started to suspect this is ISP configuration rather than my Router(s). Has anyone experienced something like this? And how did you solve the problem? Help! I mean, h e l p ! !

Kkmn

Angry@VMedia
03-07-2008, 12:51
For a start, DONT use WEP, it aint secure at all, can can be cracked within 4 seconds, use WPA + higher for the best security!

Have you made sure that you turned off your VM cable modem before connecting the router and then the PC's?

Start from scratch, turn everything off, wait a few seconds, then switch on modem, wait for the lights to stabalise (not flashing) then power on your router, wait until thats locked on, then switch on your PC's and try again.

On your computers, are they set to get an IP address & DNS automatically? this might be the case, it would be wise to check this too!

Visitor
03-07-2008, 21:30
I have a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 V2, it never matters what you switch on first, Modem or router, they sort themselves out. PC has connection by the time it loads up. If the PC is already on, and the others are then switched on, within a min it has access to the internet.

Router setting (mostly default): Did you change anything ?

If it was working for 3 days, have you changed anything ?

Also, if you have configured the PC for LAN (Via cable) and then switch to WI Fi, this can also cause problems in your PC

Does the router show whose connected ? If it does then its working, and must be a setting in the PC, try removing all networks in the PC

Also, do you have the Netgear "find WiFi" (Channel etc) program, does it lock ok and find the WiFi ?. Have you set the router to brodcast its name, but later terned it off, but the PC has lost its settings ?

Angry@VMedia
03-07-2008, 21:36
I have a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 V2, it never matters what you switch on first, Modem or router, they sort themselves out.

Thats as maybe, but this is how it SHOULD be done, and how members on here & people in Technical Support will tell you how, if it works how you say then fine! I was just saying how it is meant to be done :)

Kikkoman
03-07-2008, 23:09
Hello Angry@VMedia,

> DONT use WEP
OK, I'll try WPA soon. Thanks for the advice. Simply thought WEP is better than nothing.

> Have you made sure
I've followed Netgear instruction carefully and everything was absolutely fine for the first 3 days.

> Start from scratch
Yeah, reboot actually worked for this time around, but I'm still anxious that the total outage may come back at any time. I need to know *why* this happen.

> IP address & DNS automatically?
Mine is 'referring DHCP server' (IP is auto set, DNS is blank)

> this might be the case, it would be wise to check this too!
Did you mean to set to 'Auto' if it's in manual mode?

Angry@VMedia
03-07-2008, 23:16
Hello Angry@VMedia,

> DONT use WEP
OK, I'll try WPA soon. Thanks for the advice. Simply thought WEP is better than nothing.

> Have you made sure
I've followed Netgear instruction carefully and everything was absolutely fine for the first 3 days.

> Start from scratch
Yeah, reboot actually worked for this time around, but I'm still anxious that the total outage may come back at any time. I need to know *why* this happen.

> IP address & DNS automatically?
Mine is 'referring DHCP server' (IP is auto set, DNS is blank)

> this might be the case, it would be wise to check this too!
Did you mean to set to 'Auto' if it's in manual mode?

Lol hi!
I mean, if you'r in an area with old people it won't be as bad, but you could still get people that "war drive" which means they drive round in a car with a laptop looking for wireless networks & try to get into them, sad really, if they can afford a laptop, then they should be able to afford internet access at their homes!

Can you think of anything that could have been changed (either by yourself or another person) that could affect your connection at all?

And if you can set the DNS to automatic, then you should definately tick / enable this and see how it goes :)

Kikkoman
03-07-2008, 23:51
Hi Visitor,

> Router setting (mostly default): Did you change anything ?
Apart from setting up Network name & WEP, no.

> If it was working for 3 days, have you changed anything ?
Nothing, I normally don't fiddle with settings.

> Also, if you have configured the PC for LAN (Via cable) and then switch to WI Fi, this can also cause problems in your PC
I used wired PC (no Wifi capability) for initial set up then the other machine to check Wifi. So, no, that isn't the case.

> Does the router show whose connected ?
LAN cable show up correctly. Only Wifi

> Also, do you have the Netgear "find WiFi" (Channel etc) program, does it lock ok and find the WiFi ?

My main machine (Intel Mac) picks up any Wifi signals automatically. And yes, I can see the list of networks around my neighbourhood.

> Have you set the router to brodcast its name, but later terned it off, but the PC has lost its settings ?
I guess if it's been the case, other people in the house would've noticed there's no Wifi but they were fine till this minor outage yesterday.

Is there any chance that this is ISP sending wrong type of signals (packets) and somehow flooded my Router?

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

> in an area with old people
Yes, and sprinkle of ASBOs but this is not a built-up area.

> "war drive"
Never thought about it but I do similar when my connection is dead, I steal neighbour's network. I know is wrong & insecure - someone may use it as a 'trap' to get sensitive info out of you. But for checking emails, I can be desperate enough.

> if they can afford a laptop, then they should be able to afford internet access at their homes!
Perhaps those people also acquired their car & laptop through illegitimate source...! Still pretty pathetic though.

> Can you think of anything that could have been changed (either by yourself or another person) that could affect your connection at all?
No, I'm the only (marginally) tech-minded in the household and I tend not to touch the settings when things are working.

> And if you can set the DNS to automatic, then you should definately tick / enable this and see how it goes :)
OK, sounds like my setting is fine.

Thanks for your help. Getting some responses make me feel less anxious about it!

Angry@VMedia
04-07-2008, 00:33
Hi Visitor,

> Router setting (mostly default): Did you change anything ?
Apart from setting up Network name & WEP, no.

> If it was working for 3 days, have you changed anything ?
Nothing, I normally don't fiddle with settings.

> Also, if you have configured the PC for LAN (Via cable) and then switch to WI Fi, this can also cause problems in your PC
I used wired PC (no Wifi capability) for initial set up then the other machine to check Wifi. So, no, that isn't the case.

> Does the router show whose connected ?
LAN cable show up correctly. Only Wifi

> Also, do you have the Netgear "find WiFi" (Channel etc) program, does it lock ok and find the WiFi ?

My main machine (Intel Mac) picks up any Wifi signals automatically. And yes, I can see the list of networks around my neighbourhood.

> Have you set the router to brodcast its name, but later terned it off, but the PC has lost its settings ?
I guess if it's been the case, other people in the house would've noticed there's no Wifi but they were fine till this minor outage yesterday.

Is there any chance that this is ISP sending wrong type of signals (packets) and somehow flooded my Router?

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

> in an area with old people
Yes, and sprinkle of ASBOs but this is not a built-up area.

> "war drive"
Never thought about it but I do similar when my connection is dead, I steal neighbour's network. I know is wrong & insecure - someone may use it as a 'trap' to get sensitive info out of you. But for checking emails, I can be desperate enough.

> if they can afford a laptop, then they should be able to afford internet access at their homes!
Perhaps those people also acquired their car & laptop through illegitimate source...! Still pretty pathetic though.

> Can you think of anything that could have been changed (either by yourself or another person) that could affect your connection at all?
No, I'm the only (marginally) tech-minded in the household and I tend not to touch the settings when things are working.

> And if you can set the DNS to automatic, then you should definately tick / enable this and see how it goes :)
OK, sounds like my setting is fine.

Thanks for your help. Getting some responses make me feel less anxious about it!

I am sorry but I cannot help you further.
Using your neighbours wireless connection without their consent is theft, and I cannot condone that at all, I hope you are caught for this!

jaycee
04-07-2008, 10:56
Wardrivers are usually looking to steal someones connection for illegal purposes... im sure every tech savvy paedophile out there must be trying it now!

Angry@VMedia
04-07-2008, 12:21
Wardrivers are usually looking to steal someones connection for illegal purposes... im sure every tech savvy paedophile out there must be trying it now!

It does not matter, from checking email to online fraud, theft is theft and it is against the law, and I doubt that anybody in their right minds can condone theft in ANY form what so ever!

Kikkoman
04-07-2008, 12:36
It does not matter, from checking email to online fraud, theft is theft and it is against the law, and I doubt that anybody in their right minds can condone theft in ANY form what so ever!

If the Internet connection has become as reliable as the landline phone, then yes, I agree I shouldn't do that. But in the current situation, I dare to be on the wrong side of the law (part-time). OK, it's wrong, but so as many other things in life.

I take my action as trespassing & nicking a garden fruit from someone's garden which is not fenced. I'm not nicking the fruit in commercial-scale.

Besides, as long as I can use my connection, I won't bother other's slow & instable network. Based on that logic, if other people (i.e. you) could help me to stick to my network, I won't be nicking my neighbour's ;)

jaycee
04-07-2008, 14:36

So, you have never:

* Downloaded an MP3 rip of any commerical music
* Downloaded a movie
* Copied music from CD to a tape/MP3 player

No one is whiter than white. Long term theft of wireless, or theft for illegal purposes, yes I can criticise that, but borrowing wireless just to check mail when your own connection is down is practically harmless.

Angry@VMedia
06-07-2008, 17:37
So, you have never:

* Downloaded an MP3 rip of any commerical music
* Downloaded a movie
* Copied music from CD to a tape/MP3 player

No one is whiter than white. Long term theft of wireless, or theft for illegal purposes, yes I can criticise that, but borrowing wireless just to check mail when your own connection is down is practically harmless.

I have ONLY downloaded material that I have previously PAID for and keep as a working backup.

For example, I have kept ALL my reciepts of CD's & DVD's I have bought, and since these discs are scratched and most unplayable, I download again as I have already PAID for these, so your dig at me is NOT valid!

And I suggest you keep your smart bum comments to yourself because I will not swoop to your level and argue so I can get in trouble with this forum, I admit it, I download copyrighted material, but it is material I have ALREADY PURCHASED and have photocopies of ALL reciepts that correspond to the stuff I have, so in my eyes, this is LEGAL!!!

How much pirated, illegal stuff do YOU download via the internet???

Now I suggest you go away, lick your wounds and THINK in future, cos no matter how smart & clever you think you are, there is ALWAYS someone more smart & clever than yourself!

Raistlin
06-07-2008, 18:43
This thread started out as a request from one Member for some help getting their connection sorted and has very quickly become yet another argument.

If you choose not to help the OP (for whatever reason) then fine, move on and leave the thread alone. You are not obliged to post in ANY thread, and continuing to disrupt threads/turn them into arguments/flame wars, is only going to end with people getting infractions.

For the avoidance of doubt: this post is not aimed at any specific poster, but should be seen as a general warning to all.

jaycee
06-07-2008, 22:13
Moderator Edit

Kikkoman, If you can connect through your router by an ethernet cable, then this is not an ISP problem, it is a wireless one. There is nothing they will be doing that will be disrupting your wireless that wouldn't also disrupt using the router via ethernet cables. Personally I have never found wireless reliable enough for solid use, no matter what the equipment.

Check the wireless cards in your PC's. If they come with custom software for setting up the connection settings, don't use it - disable it and use what is built into XP. Make sure the XP firewall is turned off, you dont need it as the router acts as a firewall.

[Moderator Edit (Rob M): Unnecessary and inflammatory comments removed]

Kikkoman
06-07-2008, 22:55
Hi Jaycee,

> If you can connect through your router by an ethernet cable, then this is not an ISP problem

Yeah, sounds like previous Linksys router wanted to go on a holiday...although it's less than two years old. And so far new Netgear had connection problem only once and reboot did the trick. Touch wood. (And thanks for supportive postings)

RobM,
I thought you were telling-off all of us (hope not . lol) - wow, this forum is really well-maintained to keep the level of conversation civilized. I'm impressed.

Angry@VM,
I still appreciate some of your advice. I suppose we could 'agree to disagree' on some of the issues discussed. In a sense I respect that you are a person of principal :)

Visitor
09-07-2008, 12:16
Try a router reset (reset to factory settings) have you also ran the update for firmwear ? Other than this it sounds like a PC setting problem, after the reset, I would remove anything install on the WIFI PC, all networks, all network sharing etc, roo boot and put it all back

However you did say MAC somewhere, so this could be the problem :)