PDA

View Full Version : Breech of contract or not ?

Batfinks
02-07-2008, 22:00
is it possible to cancel and drop ntl (virginmedia) immediately without being forced to wait 1month and paying that extra month for there broadband service?

here is my problem, been with ntl now virginmedia for over 6yrs, i have there 20mbit services since it was rolled out and for the last 5months not been able to get over 3mbit download but get max upload from them.
had a engineer out 3times over this period, had 2 new modems, had half a dozen of theses attenuators connected and still not get more than 3mbit regardless of day/time. but what makes it worse is between 1pm and 1am im lucky to get 1mbit download!!!

do i have a case ?
thankyou.

Stephen
02-07-2008, 22:20
If you want to cancel and you aren't in a contract then you can leave but you do still need to give 30 days notice.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 23:43
That's just disgusting.

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 23:48
That's just disgusting.

this is taken from the link below section J : 1

This agreement will continue until the end of the minimum period for each service you take. After the end of all relevant minimum periods, any party may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days' notice. You must pay any relevant usage charges and line rental up to the end of that 30-day notice period. You may also cancel a service after the end of its minimum period by giving us 30 days' notice.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html

zing_deleted
02-07-2008, 23:52
you could try calling for a credit first for poor service etc then cancel or you could drop the service to 2 meg then cancel

deed02392
02-07-2008, 23:56
this is taken from the link below section J : 1

This agreement will continue until the end of the minimum period for each service you take. After the end of all relevant minimum periods, any party may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days' notice. You must pay any relevant usage charges and line rental up to the end of that 30-day notice period. You may also cancel a service after the end of its minimum period by giving us 30 days' notice.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html

I'm aware of what the contract includes, but I mean it is disgusting that he should suffer such poor service and then be required to continue it for 30 days.

Angry@VMedia
03-07-2008, 00:14
If I may jump in and ask a quick question here; being as virgin charge at least 1 month in advance, surely you will not have anything to pay at the end of the 30 days?
Can somebody clarify this please?

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 00:23
If I may jump in and ask a quick question here; being as virgin charge at least 1 month in advance, surely you will not have anything to pay at the end of the 30 days?
Can somebody clarify this please?

Its in that link I posted above.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

I'm aware of what the contract includes, but I mean it is disgusting that he should suffer such poor service and then be required to continue it for 30 days.

I think the same even if he cancels his service should be better, I am EX-Telewest and would like to think we would have provided a better service than this from our partners at EX-NTL.

deed02392
03-07-2008, 00:29
I just hope this isn't an example of what is happening to many customers due to UBR oversubscription. I am Ex-NTL but I do receive full 20Mbps round the clock. I guess I'm just lucky, but people shouldn't be paying for a service when what they actually receive depends on how 'lucky' they get.

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 00:31
I just hope this isn't an example of what is happening to many customers due to UBR oversubscription. I am Ex-NTL but I do receive full 20Mbps round the clock. I guess I'm just lucky, but people shouldn't be paying for a service when what they actually receive depends on how 'lucky' they get.
Your lucky like me not being on a oversubscribed UBR.

Gary L
03-07-2008, 00:49

That's because they all moved to Be* and you didn't :)

handyman
03-07-2008, 00:57

I thought that would have no longer have been an issue. What with load balancing and new kit. Can you guys still move the customers onto a different ubr or is that no longer allowed?

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 01:01
That's because they all moved to Be* and you didn't :)
I have not had a BT landline for 15 years and live 3500 mtrs from the BT Exchange so any Copper based Broadband would be to slow at around 2.5Mb~

I do not even have a BT line connected to my property and I pay less for my Broadband than you probably.

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 ----------

I thought that would have no longer have been an issue. What with load balancing and new kit. Can you guys still move the customers onto a different ubr or is that no longer allowed?

2nd Line do that not 1st line.

Gary L
03-07-2008, 01:11
I have not had a BT landline for 15 years and live 3500 mtrs from the BT Exchange so any Copper based Broadband would be to slow at around 2.5Mb

Virgin Media don't think it's slow. they think it's supersonic.

I pay less for my Broadband than you probably.

Is that the staff perk or the don't move to Be* retention deal? :D

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 08:25
Virgin Media don't think it's slow. they think it's supersonic.

Is that the staff perk or the don't move to Be* retention deal? :D

The First Part :D and BE* and the others are no competition regards speed where I live as stated above.

r00t
03-07-2008, 16:24

It is still possible to move to another cable/upstream, but pointless as ALB will auto correct the move.

xspeedyx
03-07-2008, 19:02
I want a un oversubscriped UBR *DREAMS*

Yo r00t