PDA

View Full Version : Cable availability

Gravy2k8
02-07-2008, 20:52
Hi folks, new to the forum.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this topic, but haven't come acrss one.

I was hoping that Virgin would be expanding the cable service and was trying to find out where I can find the info. I recently Emailed the relevant Virgin department, but they couldn't give me an answer.

Does anyone know if cable will be coming to the SY13 postcode anytime this century ?

In a previous home, we had cable broadband and TV and I have to say that im my experience, as a package, it is hard to beat. I miss it ! :cry:

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 21:07
Hi folks, new to the forum.

I have had a look around for a sticky on this topic, but haven't come acrss one.

I was hoping that Virgin would be expanding the cable service and was trying to find out where I can find the info. I recently Emailed the relevant Virgin department, but they couldn't give me an answer.

Does anyone know if cable will be coming to the SY13 postcode anytime this century ?

In a previous home, we had cable broadband and TV and I have to say that im my experience, as a package, it is hard to beat. I miss it ! :cry:

Check this link out as Virgin have done no fresh laying of cable for around 6/7 years.

Availability checker

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/maps.php

Gravy2k8
03-07-2008, 10:08
Thanks dude, but I have already looked around SamKnows.
Looks like Sam is a busy person, as a lot of the info is a couple of years old.

I have heard elsewhere that Virgin aren't planning to lay any more cable, as not enough people are taking up services on the existing cable infrastructure. Pity really, cable is the future as far as I'm concerned. Its great for t'internet and the TV service is way better than satellite, even withouth SKY One.

Cheers whydoIneedatech

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 10:37
Thanks dude, but I have already looked around SamKnows.
Looks like Sam is a busy person, as a lot of the info is a couple of years old.

I have heard elsewhere that Virgin aren't planning to lay any more cable, as not enough people are taking up services on the existing cable infrastructure. Pity really, cable is the future as far as I'm concerned. Its great for t'internet and the TV service is way better than satellite, even withouth SKY One.

Cheers whydoIneedatech

At least you can get details of distance from your BT exchange from there.

Peter

Gravy2k8
03-07-2008, 21:24
True.

The ADSLmax isn't too bad. I'm told my line can support up to about 6.5Mbit in theory. Very rarely do I get speed test results [thinkbroadband.com] above 4.5 though. When download files, I rarely get anything coming in faster than 350Mb/s but when I go back to the family home, I have seen 3 simultaneous downloads of almost a Meg each. That's the kind of thing that I miss. It could be my isp's servers, but I doubt it. F2S has always given a quality service in the 3 years I have been with them. I just think it's the nature of these things that cable is a far superior service to ADSL. It's just hard for me to accept that I cannoe get the service that I want. I'm like that. Spoilt little b4stard really ;)