PDA

View Full Version : V-Box interrupting broadband

snadge
02-07-2008, 13:43
I fixed a poorly setup wireless Virgin Broadband connection some time ago (being blocked by software on the laptop) and now the customer is ringing me saying that its keeps going OFF and to get it on she has to reboot everything - now this has only started happening since the installation of a Virgin V-Box she had - she says after running the repair on Vista it says something along the lines of "another computer has the same IP address..." sumit like that anyway - so I said well if its been since the install of the V-Box ring Virgin and they should help you with it cos it sounds like its that....

SO... she rang them up and immediatley the technician said it sounds like they are fighting for the same IP address... but after running some tests he could not fix the issue and then said "because you did not buy your Wifi router from us we cannot help you with this problem...the only thing I CAN tell you is put your laptop closer to the router..." SHEESH...!!! (oh and BTW the laptop is 7ft away in clear view)

SO... on the fone to me I managed to confirm that theres nothing wrong with laptop OR wifi router - what seems to be happening is at some stage (dunno when cos ive got her loggin the disconnections at moment) theres seems to be a signal coming down the line (maybe IP Address which the V-Box is taking) and this disconnects the modem (which is how the reboot fixes it..) -the reason I know this is cos she said when she has been offline its says its connected but limited connectivity (and no internet comes through) this means the WIFI is working fine but the MODEM (which is seperate) isnt online... also while it was all working fine I got her to reboot Vista and try to use internet then and all was fine...so its the modem somehow losing connection periodically - she say she never turns anything off so should be on 24/7.... the guy on the fone also said these sort of things happen (teething problems he called it) with the v-box in first few days and just to leave it and it will sort itself out....???

I was wondering does anyone esle know of or had any similar problems with Virgin Cable Broadband and V-Box...???

Ive got her testing it every 3/4 hours to see if its working and logging it IF its off trying to pin-point when its happening

any ideas?

thanks

MovedGoalPosts
02-07-2008, 14:42
Is the broadband connection via a separate cable modem, so the V box is providing TV only (some systems, especially on the ex ntl areas did get the broadband via the Set Top Box)?

Does the problem persist if the router is removed from the network and a connection is made directly by ethernet between the cable broadband device and laptop?

piggy
02-07-2008, 17:57
im clutching at straws here but aswell as the v+ stb have they kept the old stb? if so the installer will have fitted a splitter and it sounds like the levels are now on the edge check the modem levels or get a service call booked to check the new install over

snadge
02-07-2008, 18:57
the connection is from a modem which then goes to linksys wireless router...
whats an STB? whats the levels? - im newbie to Virgin V-Box etc..

she reported it OFF this morning and OFF this afternoon

all was fine until they installed this V-Box

she was BACK on the fone to them today and they said its THE WIRELESS ROUTER and she should ring linksys..????? sureley that is WRONG?

she is trying without router connected to see if it drops.. how can the router be at fault when they install the V-Box and it all goes tits up? theyre trying to fobb her off to be honest - sounds like the technicians at Virgin just DONT have a clue... the 1st tech says it may be fighting for an IP address with V-Box and the 2nd tech said thats rubbish???? calling each other wrong now??

can anyone help with this cos i will be going over to her house soon in next ew days once i know what Iam supposed to be doing - as i explained to her I just fix computers and install broadband - im unfamiliar with SKY/Virgin TV boxes....

any help / advice is greatly appreciated...

thanks

piggy
02-07-2008, 19:01
stb= set top box ie v/v+ box

your best bet is to get a service call booked and get everything checked over

a quick check is when the internet goes off what lights are on the modem .....plse check and report back

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 19:09
V+ boxes do not do Internet and never will as Virgin no longer supply any Set Top Boxes to customer that are internet ready anymore, if a existing STB internet customer rings in with a faulty box they are given a replacement STB and a Stand Alone Cable Modem.

The V+ box will not be provisioned on the account for internet so has no bearing to this fault so it cannot fight for an IP address.

All existing legacy STB internet users are supported till their STB dies, then as above before anyone chips in.

You may need to call Digital Television Faults as well as Broadband Faults to resolve this issue.

sstainer
02-07-2008, 19:11
very strange this one, the STB[set top box] would have a totally different IP to the cable modem imo [or should do] specially if its a seperate broadband connection , ie not in anyway connected to the stb http://www.ambitbroadband.co.uk/Images/Data1.bmp Example image of a 255

i'd find out what way your friend is connected this might help others further

piggy
02-07-2008, 19:14
V+ boxes do not do Internet and never will as Virgin no longer supply any Set Top Boxes to customer that are internet ready anymore, if a existing STB internet customer rings in with a faulty box they are given a replacement STB and a Stand Alone Cable Modem.

The V+ box will not be provisioned on the account for internet so has no bearing to this fault so it cannot fight for an IP address.

All existing legacy STB internet users are supported till their STB dies, then as above before anyone chips in.

You may need to call Digital Television Faults as well as Broadband Faults to resolve this issue.

in our area if the stb is faulty and has bb via the stb its replaced and sub still has bb via stb no sacm is fitted

snadge
02-07-2008, 19:18
ive explained how its setup...
she has Virgin STB ... AND a cable modem for broadband seperate to which a linksys wireless router is connected to transmit it wifi - all worked fine until she got a V-BOX installed and Virgin say its her router which I know to be absolute PAP - it all worked fine until they fitted V-BOX and the router has NOTHING to do with the V_BOX or the BROADBAND connection - when it IS down she can connect wirelessley and it tells her the broadband is DOWN....

how much will it cost for her to get a call out checkover?

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 19:28
in our area if the stb is faulty and has bb via the stb its replaced and sub still has bb via stb no sacm is fitted

All EX-NTL and EX-Telewest no longer support new STB installs for Internet as I have stated above as they are not worth the hassle, you have a fault you get 2 new devices plus your shiny new modem is 20Mb capable unlike your STB max speed if Samsung 6Mb.

sstainer
02-07-2008, 19:47
ive explained how its setup...
she has Virgin STB ... AND a cable modem for broadband seperate to which a linksys wireless router is connected to transmit it wifi - all worked fine until she got a V-BOX installed and Virgin say its her router which I know to be absolute PAP - it all worked fine until they fitted V-BOX and the router has NOTHING to do with the V_BOX or the BROADBAND connection - when it IS down she can connect wirelessley and it tells her the broadband is DOWN....

how much will it cost for her to get a call out checkover?

should be free part of the package costs or broadband subscription
a test to see if it works ok without router would be ideal?

snadge
02-07-2008, 19:58
well she's asked me to go over but theres NOTHING I CAN DO until i try and identify whats up... it only goes down once or twice a day i could be sitting there for HOURS then when it goes off (the modem) what the hell do i do then? cos i cant get online for 1-2-1 help with you guys cos its down...

lordy
02-07-2008, 21:06
All I pointed snadge over here, from another thread on ADSL forum.
Just a couple of thoughts come to mind (esp if the Vbox is not an IP device)

1. It could be the wiring /cable got faffed up when the vbox was installed.
(she previously had another STB which worked fine , presumably on the same splitter)

2. If its not an IP device, then could it be a cloned modem on the same subnet?
That would give a duplicate IP error. And perhaps fit with the idea that a reboot fixes it temporarily?

Other than that I guess we need to wait for more info (Modem model, status lights when down etc) or they need to get an engineer in as suggested.

AmAtoL
02-07-2008, 21:17
Strange.... but, no matter what V+ boxes are or are not supposed to do they still seem to have a bearing on what goes on. I'm in an ex NTL area and only last week the internet went off, nothing unusual in that, we tried all the reboots etc like you would. Nothing, modem lights that should be on were off even after reboots.
I told my Son who phoned me at work about the problem to go next door and see if theirs was off, it was, exact same setup as me btw. The lad next door works for Red Bull F1 Racing and does the I.T. at Grand Prix, he rebooted everything to no avail until he rebooted his V+ box and taadaa net back on. My lad did the same and taadaa net back on.
Coincidence ? I dunno, but somehow it affects it.
That's how it happened.

sstainer
02-07-2008, 21:28
well she's asked me to go over but theres NOTHING I CAN DO until i try and identify whats up... it only goes down once or twice a day i could be sitting there for HOURS then when it goes off (the modem) what the hell do i do then? cos i cant get online for 1-2-1 help with you guys cos its down...

maybe goto http://192.168.100.1/CmEventLog.asp via her broadband and see if it shows any errors [messages?] maybe also looking at the other pages down up etc

as test maybe try the connection without router for 24hrs see if it behaves near normal? this you could advise next time she or you phone

beatmywood@hotma
02-07-2008, 21:44
if im understanding this situation the lady had broadband with a wireless connection to her laptop first and then had a digi box added later and thats when the trouble started?

Q- does the light on the far right of the v/m modem start blinking when she looses her connection?
Q- when the internet connection is lost is the digi box still working or does the pictures go all blocky

oh and a call out for a fault is normally free but on some occasions they may charge a max of £25

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 21:45
maybe goto http://192.168.100.1/CmEventLog.asp via her broadband and see if it shows any errors [messages?] maybe also looking at the other pages down up etc

as test maybe try the connection without router for 24hrs see if it behaves near normal? this you could advise next time she or you phone

Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

My modem is a Motorola and if I look in my logs I will find some with the Date stamp of 1970 and we did not have broadband then.

chickendippers
02-07-2008, 22:47
Just plug the computer directly into the cable modem and forget about the router when your customer next calls technical support, that way they can't blame it on the router and may actually have to fix it.

jaycee
03-07-2008, 07:06
Here's a sure fire solution. Ring cancellations, ask to cancel. When they ask why, you say "because since I had your TV service installed, my internet wont work and your tech support refuse to send anyone out"

You'll have an engineer out before you know it.

snadge
03-07-2008, 13:17
UPDATE: lastnight she couldnt get on AT ALL with JUST THE MODEM CONNECTED - she tried reboot after reboot and wouldnt work - she was gunna ring Virgin last i heard last night

so that PROVES i was right and they were wrong... they said is the wireless router and to ring linksys - i said its thier V-BOX or configuration of IT or settings at their end and they denied it - two engineers said things that contradicted each other....

so I will ring her after work tonight and see whats what

thanks guys

EDIT: SORRY if i sounded snappy in this thread - just Virgin were basically saying its my fault cos my setup is failing hehe when ive just proved them wrong...worked fine until the V-BOX was installed and its the MODEM thats going off = THEIR FAULT!!!

lordy
03-07-2008, 15:45
It would be nice if when this happens she simply unplugs the vbox to see what happens. Also dont forget the lights !

piggy
03-07-2008, 15:49
All EX-NTL and EX-Telewest no longer support new STB installs for Internet as I have stated above as they are not worth the hassle, you have a fault you get 2 new devices plus your shiny new modem is 20Mb capable unlike your STB max speed if Samsung 6Mb.

off topic but your wrong if the stb is faulty and has bb on it gets replaced with another stb not stb and sacm

snadge
03-07-2008, 15:56
continued from above......

just been on fone to her and whilst just connected to the modem it STILL goes off and reboot fixes it... ALSO she told me that she didnt get a free modem , she doesnt know why? when she bought the computer she said to the assistant she was gunna get broadband so he told her she would need a modem AND wifi router @ the cost of £200 with security software...RIP...(he would have known that she'd get a free modem from virgin) but it sounds like when she signed up she told them she had one so they just sent her a splitter box and cables and she PAID someone to fit them for her (NOT A VIRGIN ENGINEER) she says they never gave her a date for an engineer to come and install the broadband??? (she had Virgin TV beforehand - she got it thru telewest 8 years prior).... THEY SAY COS THE MODEM IS NOT THEIRS THEY CANT HELP ANY FURTHER AND TO RING LINKSYS ...?!?!?! (its not the router you idiots @ virgin support)

............THE STORY SO FAR.......
so it boils down to this:
8 years ago she gets telewest TV a Telewest Engineer installed cable TV...
then when Virgin tookover she bought a laptop (and modem and router) and ordered Vrigin Broadband.. they sent her JUST the Splitter box and some cables - she paid someone to install it.... all is fine then she has problems - thats when i come in - the software on her PC is blocking her connection s I remove it all (I fix PC's for a living) and ensure her wifi is ok - all is fine, she then orders a V-BOX from virgin... the engineer comes installs , makes a fone call to actibate it and leaves - he doesnt check it all over to see if splitter is connected properley or if broadband is working - when she goes to use it broadband is off - they say its the wireless TWICE - so she removes the wifi router and its still going off - they now say cos its not their modem they cant help... and the problem is the router - sheesh how crappy is Virgin support...

the modem is WEBSTAR EPC2100 R2-Series and the light are:-
PC (flashing)
CABLE (on)
Recieve/Send (off)
POWER (on)
she cant get on....unless she reboots

WHAT CAN WE/I DO.....???

thanks
what can I do

EDIT: also she says that the she cant remember the send/recieve lights ever flashing???

piggy
03-07-2008, 16:49
@snadge

tell your friend to be polite but firm, the facts are everything was ok the v+ was installed and now the internet is intermittent get a service call booked to check the new install also the modem if faulty will be changed foc

snadge
03-07-2008, 17:44
she has been on fone to them 3 times - they say cos the modem is not theirs they cant/wont help ?>????? the post above explains the situation... i will txt her now and tell her to also ask if she can book a service call...they will probably charge her cos the modems not hers...

ive told her to ring em and ask:-
1) why didnt she get a VIRGIN modem when she signed up??

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

ALL SORTED.....

I was right all along - it was the V-BOX interrupting the broadband - the 4th engineer said everything the others told her was absolute rubbish and that the modem IS virgins as she got it from them (she assumed she didnt cos they said it wasnt their modem) and they should of and could have easily fixed the problem....

he also says Virgin should have arranged an installation of the broadband aswell for free when she signed up so ive told her to write a letter of complaint to them demanding something to be done about it...!!!!

thanks for all your help and advice guys i really appreciate it...cheers

ceedee
03-07-2008, 17:46
she has been on fone to them 3 times - they say cos the modem is not theirs they cant/wont help ?>????? the post above explains the situation... i will txt her now and tell her to also ask if she can book a service call...they will probably charge her cos the modems not hers...

The cable modem is VirginMedia's -- the router belongs to your friend.

Maybe your friend wasn't offered a free router because she was signing up for 2Mb/s (called "M") broadband in which case it would have cost her £40.
Maybe (as you alluded to earlier) your friend was offered a free router but turned it down as she already had her own.

sstainer
03-07-2008, 18:11

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

ALL SORTED.....

I was right all along - it was the V-BOX interrupting the broadband - the 4th engineer said everything the others told her was absolute rubbish and that the modem IS virgins as she got it from them (she assumed she didnt cos they said it wasnt their modem) and they should of and could have easily fixed the problem....

he also says Virgin should have arranged an installation of the broadband aswell for free when she signed up so ive told her to write a letter of complaint to them demanding something to be done about it...!!!!

thanks for all your help and advice guys i really appreciate it...cheers

deffo write & complain suggest send the letter to the swansea office ushally its written on back of the bills
if not here it is

Customer Concern
PO BOX 333
Virginmedia
Matrix Court
Swansea
SA7 9BB

might be corrected it i got it wrong?
i have in past sent a letter to the hook HQ office soon got noticed

lordy
03-07-2008, 23:20
Also, when she speaks to support it may be wise NOT to mention that she paid a 3rd party to install. It actually weakens her case in the eyes of the help desk assistant/support technician. Support will latch on to anything out of the norm to exhibit slippery shoulder syndrome :)

NTL or Telewest gave her the equipment and set it up. End of :)

whydoIneedatech
04-07-2008, 06:39
Also, when she speaks to support it may be wise NOT to mention that she paid a 3rd party to install. It actually weakens her case in the eyes of the help desk assistant/support technician. Support will latch on to anything out of the norm to exhibit slippery shoulder syndrome :)

NTL or Telewest gave her the equipment and set it up. End of :)

If anyone rang up and spoke to me and said they had someone setup their system for them, I would not have a problem with that, as it is better to have someone with a bit of knowledge help you setup your broadband rather than spend hours looking glumly at your installation wondering what to do next.

It can be quite helpful if the installer is their and they then pass the phone to them for me to speak to.

colin-bennett
04-07-2008, 09:14
If the cust has STB fault tech will not take sacm. They will change STB. If they have problems with the BBI being provisioned with the new STB then a QS sacm is sent out. If BBI thru STB still ok then no sacm is ordered.

lordy
04-07-2008, 10:14
If anyone rang up and spoke to me and said they had someone setup their system for them, I would not have a problem with that, as it is better to have someone with a bit of knowledge help you setup your broadband rather than spend hours looking glumly at your installation wondering what to do next.

YEah, sorry didnt mean to tar you all with the same brush, just often people in support roles (regardless of company), can become unhelpful once they realise the person they are supporting has deviated from the script :)

Anyway , I have a feeling that snadge will be along any minute with an update :)

lordy
04-07-2008, 14:06
OK Maybe not :) FWIW , VM Support determined eventually there was a bad config on the V+/VBox (this is 3rd hand info so cant supply anymore details :) )

whydoIneedatech
04-07-2008, 16:49
If the cust has STB fault tech will not take sacm. They will change STB. If they have problems with the BBI being provisioned with the new STB then a QS sacm is sent out. If BBI thru STB still ok then no sacm is ordered.

Then they will not get any Email as all Customers with faulty STB boxes must get their STB changed if they want to keep using their ntlworld or blueyonder email accounts.

I take you are unaware of this? that is why STB internet installations have been phased out and customers are being upgraded for free to separate SACM for internet and separate STB for DTV, and I presume also that you are not BBI support either.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

YEah, sorry didnt mean to tar you all with the same brush, just often people in support roles (regardless of company), can become unhelpful once they realise the person they are supporting has deviated from the script :)

Anyway , I have a feeling that snadge will be along any minute with an update :)
You missed this bit out;)
[Originally Posted by whydoIneedatechhttp://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33635406-v-box-interrupting-broadband-post-34591582.html#post34591582)
It can be quite helpful if the installer is their and they then pass the phone to them for me to speak to.

The above is usually manna from heaven in a lot of cases.;)

colin-bennett
05-07-2008, 00:06
[QUOTE=whydoIneedatech;34591900]Then they will not get any Email as all Customers with faulty STB boxes must get their STB changed if they want to keep using their ntlworld or blueyonder email accounts.

I take you are unaware of this? that is why STB internet installations have been phased out and customers are being upgraded for free to separate SACM for internet and separate STB for DTV, and I presume also that you are not BBI support either.

Firstly
I do not work for tech support. we all know you do as you tell every one at every opportunity.
I think your comments reiterated mine, If STB faulty then it is changed. If BBI faulty and BBI thru STB then sacm is used,

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 00:11
[quote=whydoIneedatech;34591900]Then they will not get any Email as all Customers with faulty STB boxes must get their STB changed if they want to keep using their ntlworld or blueyonder email accounts.

Firstly
I do not work for tech support. we all know you do as you tell every one at every opportunity.
I think your comments reiterated mine, If STB faulty then it is changed. If BBI faulty and BBI thru STB then sacm is used,

I also post it with my avatar up on the left as well;)

If it is a box used purely for TV then it will be replaced but this is a broadband thread not a TV thread so I was only talking about broadband enabled STB not DTV.;)

colin-bennett
05-07-2008, 00:24
I believe you brought this into the tread..

whydoIneedatech
05-07-2008, 06:39

Read back further colin-bennett as you will find I was answering this post with that post.;)