PDA

View Full Version : Ambit 256 modem

don_1
02-07-2008, 12:12
Are VM sending the Ambit 256 modems to all existing customers, or is to only new customers?

How is it better than the 250/255 modems? Does it give better internet speeds?

Richy99
02-07-2008, 13:04
if you requesta new modem i would have thought they woudl send a 256 out

itrs black not blue and has no usb connection, only ethernet

don_1
02-07-2008, 17:46
My 255 modem is working fine, can I still ask for one (256 modem)?

Graham M
02-07-2008, 17:46
My 255 modem is working fine, can I still ask for one (256 modem)?

Why?

don_1
02-07-2008, 18:39
Why?

Don't you get better speeds with the new 256 modem? - Thats why.

broadbandbug
02-07-2008, 18:58
Don't you get better speeds with the new 256 modem? - Thats why.

No.. An Ambit 256 is just an up issue of the 255.. It is a new chipset.. Nothing more.. The performance is the same as a 255.

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 18:58
The Ambit 256 is Virgins latest Modem, it has been getting supplied to EX-NTL customers for around 18 months, they have recently started being issued to EX-Telewest customers for around about a month or so.

These Modems are issued to New Customers or Existing Customers that require upgrading or have a faulty Modem at their property, they are not replacing everyone's modem.

All Ambit 200 series Modems are 20 Mb capable so no one will need or get a replacement Ambit 256 unless they meet the above criteria.

You will not get your Ambit 255 swapped for a Ambit 256 if the is no fault with your modem.

You would not get any increase in speed because you want to swap your Ambit 255 for a Ambit 256 as they are both capable of 20Mb.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 14:59
Sorry I think this quesion of mine is better suited here.

Question about my Ambit 256 modem.

The send light, is it supposed to flash even though the computer is completely switched off?

The enet and send continually blink when the computer is on, but the enet stops blinking when the comp is off, but the send continues to blink, is this right for the send light to blink all the time even when PC is off at the mains?

:confused:

AbyssUnderground
08-05-2009, 15:19
Its normal. Its the cable network "pinging" the modem to see if its still there. Its just a fault in the firmware flashing the light, but it doesn't cause any issues.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 15:36
Its normal. Its the cable network "pinging" the modem to see if its still there. Its just a fault in the firmware flashing the light, but it doesn't cause any issues.

If it's a fault though can't it be fixed?

AbyssUnderground
08-05-2009, 15:44
Yes, but because its not causing a problem its a low priority fix, which will never be issued until a real problem needs fixing. It involves sending a firmware update to the modem which they won't do unless its necessary. Its just a light flashing when it shouldn't, its not the end of the world :p:

VMboy
08-05-2009, 18:26
Yes, but because its not causing a problem its a low priority fix, which will never be issued until a real problem needs fixing. It involves sending a firmware update to the modem which they won't do unless its necessary. Its just a light flashing when it shouldn't, its not the end of the world :p:

It may not be the end of the world but it can be very annoying! :mad:

If I had known this I would have kept using the old Motorola Surfboard SB500i, as the only light that would flicker was the pc/activity, but that would go completely off when the PC was off.

If there were a firmware update where would this be shown for people to download?

AbyssUnderground
08-05-2009, 18:31
No. Firmware updates are pushed to the modem by Virgin. If its annoying you, simply turn the modem off or put a bit of black tape over the light.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 18:37
No. Firmware updates are pushed to the modem by Virgin. If its annoying you, simply turn the modem off or put a bit of black tape over the light.

Should I be concerned at these from the event log.

Fri May 08 15:10:19 2009 Fri May 08 15:10:19 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Fri May 08 15:06:51 2009 Fri May 08 15:06:51 2009 Error (4) Config file does not include a valid CVC!

AbyssUnderground
08-05-2009, 18:53
Nope. Don't worry yourself! If your service is working as expected, then don't try to fix it :) Lots of errors in the log are normal. A lot of them are because the network broadcasts info for all modems, and ones that don't know what to do with it produce an error. Those that do know what to do with it, act upon it.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 18:55
Nope. Don't worry yourself! If your service is working as expected, then don't try to fix it :) Lots of errors in the log are normal. A lot of them are because the network broadcasts info for all modems, and ones that don't know what to do with it produce an error. Those that do know what to do with it, act upon it.

Thanks.

I wonder which part shows the power levels like you used to be able to view on the old modem config page.

Just interested to be honest.

AbyssUnderground
08-05-2009, 19:01
http://192.168.100.1/CmDnstream.asp
and
http://192.168.100.1/CmUpstream.asp

VMboy
08-05-2009, 19:14
I would have got to this earlier if it hadn't been for a mistake of mine having 2 threads asking the same question.

Sorry about that Rob, my memory isn't as good as it used to be. :erm:

Peter_
08-05-2009, 19:27
Should I be concerned at these from the event log.

Fri May 08 15:10:19 2009 Fri May 08 15:10:19 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

Fri May 08 15:06:51 2009 Fri May 08 15:06:51 2009 Error (4) Config file does not include a valid CVC!
Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Plus most are disabled and do nothing and looks a bit worrying but is not.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 20:16
Moldova,

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Would there be any reason why the new Ambit 256 isn't showing at all when viewing the Netork folder?

I had the old details for the surfboard modem in there, so I removed them thinking that windows would then recognise the ambit, but no modem shows in there now, I can still connect.

Peter_
08-05-2009, 20:20
Moldova,

Thank you.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

Would there be any reason why the new Ambit 256 isn't showing at all when viewing the Netork folder?

I had the old details for the surfboard modem in there, so I removed them thinking that windows would then recognise the ambit, but no modem shows in there now, I can still connect.
I presume that your Surfboard was originally connected via USB so the software would have been in there and as the Ambit uses Ethernet the is no software required for it to work.

I would delete the old Surfboard file.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 21:03
I presume that your Surfboard was originally connected via USB so the software would have been in there and as the Ambit uses Ethernet the is no software required for it to work.

I would delete the old Surfboard file.

Moldova, many thanks to you again, that's exactly what I have done, but I just wanted to know if had done the correct thing, and yes you are right, it was originally using USB, until I had problems with crashing, I then went out and bought an ethernet card, fitted it, and started to connect via that.

What would have put the software in though? as I really can't remember, I did have an installation CD, but not sure if it came from that.

Have a good weekend, well that is if you aren't working. ;)

Peter_
08-05-2009, 22:09
Moldova, many thanks to you again, that's exactly what I have done, but I just wanted to know if had done the correct thing, and yes you are right, it was originally using USB, until I had problems with crashing, I then went out and bought an ethernet card, fitted it, and started to connect via that.

What would have put the software in though? as I really can't remember, I did have an installation CD, but not sure if it came from that.

Have a good weekend, well that is if you aren't working. ;)
The old installation disk loaded the USB drivers onto your computer thats why they are still on there.

No I have the weekend off, have a good one yourself.

VMboy
08-05-2009, 22:13
Ah, I remember now, I think I still have that disc somewhere funnily enough. no need for it now of course.

Sorry to hear you are working tomorrow, hopefully you will have a day off during the week.

All the best.

Peter_
08-05-2009, 22:15
Ah, I remember now, I think I still have that disc somewhere funnily enough. no need for it now of course.

Sorry to hear you are working tomorrow, hopefully you will have a day off during the week.

All the best.
I am off it just looks wrong above.:D

tdadyslexia
09-05-2009, 07:36
Moldova wen I get the Ambit 256 modem from NTL do I send the old modem back to NTL ? I am asking because of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html), looking at the (WEEE) Directive it looks like NTL is responsible for the collection of the old equipment free of charge. Is this correct ?

vinh1000
09-05-2009, 08:15
Moldova wen I get the Ambit 256 modem from NTL do I send the old modem back to NTL ? I am asking because of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html), looking at the (WEEE) Directive it looks like NTL is responsible for the collection of the old equipment free of charge. Is this correct ?

if its a really old modem then NTL/Virgin probably won't want it back:confused:

tdadyslexia
09-05-2009, 08:38
But from what I have red on the gov (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html) site it is NTL's responsibility to dispose of the old equipment free of charge, not my responsibility to dispose of the old equipment.

The (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html) came into force on 1 January 2008

Peter_
09-05-2009, 09:48
But from what I have red on the gov (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html) site it is NTL's responsibility to dispose of the old equipment free of charge, not my responsibility to dispose of the old equipment.

The (WEEE) Directive (http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/sectors/sustainability/weee/page30269.html) came into force on 1 January 2008
They just ask you to dispose of it responsibly which is the get out clause.

spiderplant
09-05-2009, 09:57
VM will dispose of it for you free of charge. See http://www.virginmedia.com/about/cr/environment_resources.php

If you don't want to post it, just drop it off at your local VM site, or give it to any man in a van you see in the street.

Peter_
09-05-2009, 10:07
VM will dispose of it for you free of charge. See http://www.virginmedia.com/about/cr/environment_resources.php

If you don't want to post it, just drop it off at your local VM site, or give it to any man in a van you see in the street.
The is no return address so you only have the other 2 means of disposal or take it to your local recycling centre.

VMboy
09-05-2009, 11:37
Should I be concerned that I am only ever receiving speeds like shown below?

I have kind of been told that I won't receive the full speeds because I use 98 and also cause of an older ethernet card etc, could this be right, or should I be calling VM to complain?

Also the continuous flickering of the SEND light when the PC is turned off, should this be right, sorry I am still on about this.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/05/97.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Zhadnost
09-05-2009, 12:18
If you have a 10bT network card then you'd be very lucky to get over 6.5Mbit, (much less if it's a poor brand).

Windows 98 will not limit your speed really.

You can get a reasonable 10/100 card for around £3 nowadays (intels have always been good, failing that 3com).

If you were local, I'd have given you one of my spares (they are worth so little, most people think they're better off binning them than selling them).

If you put a WTD Ad on uk.adverts.computers mentioning that you're in scotland, you might get lucky.

Don't forget, if you are changing network cards, it's worthwhile downloading the drivers for the new card first, and you probably want to use opendns (There isn't a patch for windows98 to fix the security bug that conficker uses to infect your PC, so any little defense you can set up against it is sensible).

Peter_
09-05-2009, 12:34
Should I be concerned that I am only ever receiving speeds like shown below?

I have kind of been told that I won't receive the full speeds because I use 98 and also cause of an older ethernet card etc, could this be right, or should I be calling VM to complain?

Also the continuous flickering of the SEND light when the PC is turned off, should this be right, sorry I am still on about this.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/05/97.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
Here is a Network Card on Ebay for £4.98 inc p&p click here
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-Fast-Ethernet-10-100-RJ45-Network-Interface-Card_W0QQitemZ390046701140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards?hash=ite m390046701140&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

VMboy
09-05-2009, 12:45
Many thanks for the link, however I have just called tech support, and they told me that when they checked my modem that it hadn't been upgraded to the 10meg, I can't understand why, but there you are, so he asked me to unplug the modem, remove the cable, then put it all bag again, and he said I should have the 10meg speed in a couple of hours.

I asked him why this had happened and he said that this often occurs with network updates.

So here's hoping the ethernet card is ok after all.

What really annoys me is if I hadn't called them I would have been sitting with not having the 10meg speed.

I really can't understand why this was never picked up by VM sooner as I have had to call them more than once!

I will report back later with results

Stabhappy
09-05-2009, 12:47
Your speedtest shows the upload at just under 512k - that is correct for 10Mb. Unfortunately you were already on 10Mb, so god knows what the bloke at VM has done.

Peter_
09-05-2009, 12:50
Many thanks for the link, however I have just called tech support, and they told me that when they checked my modem that it hadn't been upgraded to the 10meg, I can't understand why, but there you are, so he asked me to unplug the modem, remove the cable, then put it all bag again, and he said I should have the 10meg speed in a couple of hours.

I asked him why this had happened and he said that this often occurs with network updates.

So here's hoping the ethernet card is ok after all.

What really annoys me is if I hadn't called them I would have been sitting with not having the 10meg speed.

I really can't understand why this was never picked up by VM sooner as I have had to call them more than once!

I will report back later with results
Click this link and log into your configuration page and see if it says Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 and Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 using the username and password "root"

http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

VMboy
09-05-2009, 14:14
Click this link and log into your configuration page and see if it says Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 and Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 using the username and password "root"

http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10242000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 514000

Still not getting near to 10meg!

Zhadnost
09-05-2009, 16:36
If you've only got a 10base card, then you never will. The link posted is for an RTL network card, they're not especially good, but would suit this purpose.

Peter_
09-05-2009, 16:41
If you've only got a 10base card, then you never will. The link posted is for an RTL network card, they're not especially good, but would suit this purpose.
Thats why I made sure it was for 98 O/S.

Ignitionnet
09-05-2009, 16:42
Your speedtest shows the upload at just under 512k - that is correct for 10Mb. Unfortunately you were already on 10Mb, so god knows what the bloke at VM has done.

Get him off the phone and close the call by any means necessary.

Peter_
09-05-2009, 16:45
Get him off the phone and close the call by any means necessary.
What a strange comment to make:D:D:D

Zhadnost
09-05-2009, 17:14
I tell you what, (check first) If you've only got a 10baseT card, I can send you either an intel or a 3com (a newer 82550 or 905C) for £4 inc postage or if you want a gigabit controller, a new (compaq spare) Broadcom BCM5702CKFB for £11 inc. shipping, I will even include a CD with drivers.

The BCM5702 is a relative of the controller that's on the new ambit vm300 modems.

This is also assuming you have a computer with regular 32-bit PCI slots.

haydnwalker
11-05-2009, 11:32
VM Engineer visited us this morning and then my other half phoned me and said the VM Eng wanted to replaced our Motorola SB5100 CM for a new one - so I asked which model it would be replaced with and the eng said the AMBIT 256 so I agreed (as the Eng advised this for the forthcoming 2 > 10 upgrade). Did I make a good choice by agreeing to the replacement as there has never been any issues with the SurfBoard...

VMboy
11-05-2009, 11:43
VM Engineer visited us this morning and then my other half phoned me and said the VM Eng wanted to replaced our Motorola SB5100 CM for a new one - so I asked which model it would be replaced with and the eng said the AMBIT 256 so I agreed (as the Eng advised this for the forthcoming 2 > 10 upgrade). Did I make a good choice by agreeing to the replacement as there has never been any issues with the SurfBoard...

Yes I would say, I have this modem now.

Don't worry if you see the send light flickering when the PC is off.

downupload
14-05-2009, 16:43
The PC/Activity light constantly flickers on my Surfboard SB5101e modem now it's connected to a router although I can't remember it doing it when it was connected directly to a PC.

VMboy
14-05-2009, 17:02
The PC/Activity light constantly flickers on my Surfboard SB5101e modem now it's connected to a router although I can't remember it doing it when it was connected directly to a PC.

Before I got the Ambit 256 my older SB5100 used to do the same thing and flicker only when the PC was on.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as I think it's meant to flicker.

One thing I wanted to ask you is does your send light flicker continuously even when the PC is switched off?

The reason for asking is the send light on my older surfboard SB5100 would stay on solid, but on this Ambit 256 it flickers all the time. There has been other threads re this, and it's been said that the send light is meant to flicker as it talks to the VM servers letting them know it's there. Like I say the activity light flickering is nothing to be concerned about, but you should find it goes off when you turn the power off to your computer.

downupload
14-05-2009, 17:35
No all the green lights stay on solid while online - I think they are connection status indicators rather than activity indicators.

VMboy
14-05-2009, 18:27
No all the green lights stay on solid while online - I think they are connection status indicators rather than activity indicators.

The poster referred to PC/Activity hence the reason for my answer.

downupload
14-05-2009, 19:12
Sorry, I thought you were asking about my modem.