PDA

View Full Version : External service fault - how to get them dealt with?

3c7_9JLCYjz
02-07-2008, 10:05
I have searched a bit for posts on fault reporting, and have just found familiar stories of unfortunate customers battling with poorly operated technical support over the phone. I have had enough of this as a BT broadband customer, which is why I am here checking out the Virgin fault rectification service with a view to signing up.

I feel confident about being able to trouble shoot any problems with the equipment installed in my house, and the service which I need is a reliable method to get cable faults and faults in the external connection with the internet sorted out reasonably promptly and without me having to deal with the support services over the phone. I would be like to be able to send an email to a service problem reporting address giving my full fault diagnosis as seen from my end, and then have a reasonably rapid fixing of the external fault. Ideally I would like a technical report on what the external fault was found to be (but perhaps that is asking too much!)

So my question is, "Does email reporting of service failures work?"
(I shall use a backup email service on my BT telephone line to send emails when the Virgin cable is down.)

sstainer
02-07-2008, 10:18
tbh better to tell them free via the phone, email probable would work but might be slower

3c7_9JLCYjz
02-07-2008, 10:31
Thanks Simon.

But I do not want to speak to a dysfunctional phone support service. I have spent too much time doing this with BT BroadBand, who just ignore my diagnosis of the problem, and expect me to redo all the internal fault testing and settings checking and even then it takes ages for the fault to addressed because they send an engineer here before fixing the equipment at the exchange ("Oh yes we hard a card go down"). Judging from some posts on this forum a number of users get poor phone support from Virgin.

I dont mind if email takes a few hours longer - I just want external faults fixed without annoying telephone calls when I report them by email.

WHISTLED
02-07-2008, 10:34
No email will not work

3c7_9JLCYjz
02-07-2008, 10:37
Oh dear, I am not sure I want to join now. Does any one know how to get a good response from phone support?

deed02392
02-07-2008, 15:51
I'm not sure exactly how, but when they do forward you to the 'next level' tech support, they always help you right away. Try asking to have your support call elevated if you are not finding the first person you talk to helpful. Or just ask to speak with supervisor/manager and explain you need better help than what you're getting.

Milambar
02-07-2008, 16:41
"Try asking to have your support all elevated..."

Sorry, I'm still laughing at that.

Know what what happens when you ask the Indian "advisor" to elevate the call?

"I don't feel thats necessary sir.", and they absolutely refuse to elevate it, or to call their manager.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 16:53
"Try asking to have your support all elevated..."

Sorry, I'm still laughing at that.

Know what what happens when you ask the Indian "advisor" to elevate the call?

"I don't feel thats necessary sir.", and they absolutely refuse to elevate it, or to call their manager.

Oh I see, meh, find then a direct number for techincal support here in britain on a site like saynoto0870.com or something.

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 19:23
Oh dear, I am not sure I want to join now. Does any one know how to get a good response from phone support?

You ring 151 option 3 and let us do our job.

Most Managers are just Managers and have little knowledge about Broadband, it is the 1st line Tech Support that are trained and have the knowledge to do the job, as long as they are UK based.

As for Email support, have you all forgot about them being made redundant! So who do you think actually answers your Email requests for help now that people are always harping on about being much better than calling 151, who else now but the same people who take the incoming calls.

jaycee
02-07-2008, 23:23
There is an official support service via newsgroups, but if your fault means you've lost your connection then it's a bit difficult to use that as it's only available if you're on a Virgin Media connection!

Virgins tech support is OK - if you get the UK based people. If you get the Indians, well they're as bad as you can expect really.

3c7_9JLCYjz
03-07-2008, 10:39
You ring 151 option 3 and let us do our job.

I dont think this would work as I am not thinking of getting a Virgin phone line - I only want reliable broadband.

There is an official support service via newsgroups, but if your fault means you've lost your connection then it's a bit difficult to use that as it's only available if you're on a Virgin Media connection!

Virgins tech support is OK - if you get the UK based people. If you get the Indians, well they're as bad as you can expect really.

Thanks jaycee. I did not know newsgroups in general were still much used - I have not used them in the last 5 years. But as you say its a catch22 if you can only get the Virgin support ones through a working virgin connection. If I got virgin cable broad band, would I be able to use a dial up number via bt line to login to virgin and use the tech support news group?

With further delving into the the customer support area of the website I have discovered a form that can be submitted with service fault reports at
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/contact/fault-email.php. It warns to expect a 48 hours delay - but I think that would be OK for my purposes - I just want to avoid having to deal with people over the phone who try to tell you there may be a fault with one's own equipment and settings. I realise that this is likely often the case but I have believe my procedure of having 2 separate working systems to connect to the line (with all working settings carefully documented) almost completely eliminates the possibility of an error in identifying an external fault.

I also see there is an address in Cardiff : Service Faults and Support, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea. SA7 9ZJ.
So presumably a first class letter to this address with a copy of my full service fault report, would guarantee that it was dealt with within a few days.

So I am now thinking of taking the plunge and subscribing......

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 10:45
I dont think this would work as I am not thinking of getting a Virgin phone line - I only want reliable broadband.

Heres the BT landline phone number call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.