PDA

View Full Version : Which Adaptor Required?

doctorwhofan
01-07-2008, 16:10
Hi, I have NTL broadband cable and this was disconnected a few months ago. I rejoined under Virgin and instead of an engineer coming round I requested the connections to be posted. Now I cannot connect as my computer does not have ethernet port. What do I need to use virgincables and these are larger also and will not fit in to my computer. ( I used usb before) The usb adaptors I a looking for do not seem to have the same connections I need.
The ends all seem to be flat and mine needs to be long. Is there an adaptor out there or would I need something else like an ethernet card instead?

MovedGoalPosts
01-07-2008, 16:27
The current generation of cable modems for broadband supplied by Virgin Media do not support USB connections. They only have an ethernet port.

If your computer does not have an ethernet port, a basic card should be available at any good computer store for well under £10.00 Fitting is quite simple, and can be done yourself, or alternatively the computer shop will do it for you for a fee.

It is possible to get an adaptor for ethernet into USB, but by the time you've found that and paid for it, you could have installed a network card which arguably will give much better performance than USB.

Kymmy
01-07-2008, 16:29
From your description you've lost me... Perhaps if you take a picture of the cable/ports you need and post them in here we'd be able to help you better..

The newer modems (255's) do NOT have a USB port anymore, to use them on a USB port you need a USB ethernet dongle or just install a PCI ethernet card.

Kymmy

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

LOL Rob, simple minds think alike ;)

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
01-07-2008, 18:29
Hi, I have NTL broadband cable and this was disconnected a few months ago. I rejoined under Virgin and instead of an engineer coming round I requested the connections to be posted. Now I cannot connect as my computer does not have ethernet port. What do I need to use virgincables and these are larger also and will not fit in to my computer. ( I used usb before) The usb adaptors I a looking for do not seem to have the same connections I need.
The ends all seem to be flat and mine needs to be long. Is there an adaptor out there or would I need something else like an ethernet card instead?

Apart from the Ethernet and USB issues that have been well answered by our Mods, what Operating System are you using as only Windows 2000, XP and Vista are supported by VirginMedia and these usually have Ethernet Ports fitted.